1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I don't like Fender Blackface Amps!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 16, 2020.

1. dodona

dodona Tele-Meister

blackface Fenders (short BF) are very similar to silverface Fenders(SF), beside that they are somewhat underpowered producing a little warmer tone, but still harsh and glassy. BF's and SF's are good for surf music. If that your preferred style then they are OK.
    Personally I clearly prefer British style amps, ie. Marshalls and Voxes for everything (Blues, Jazz, Rock and even Country/Surf). They all have a warmer, softer tone which is more tube sound, whereas Fenders, beside some tweeds or vintage vibroluxes) are a half way towards early solid state design.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Hmmm , I like the amps I like, and not the ones I don’t. So what?

I find that I play certain amps better than others. See question above.

‘I see others who hate/can’t play what I like, and can get great sounds out of what I can’t use. See question above.

We tell everyone to use their ears, and then doubt our own when others rave about something we’re not fond of. Nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, I rather like a good BF, but I’ve seen some dogs as well. I don’t have any, because I like other amps better, and don’t need say BF Twin volume. But that’s me.

3. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

In my observations I agree.

The thing I notice is its never entirely the amp's fault when someone doesn't like something about a Fender. It's always the users fault it seems.

It always boils down to speaker swaps, tube swaps, tube substitutions, pulling V1 preamp tube because you never use channel one, you may need to experiment with some resistor/cap values, it's gotta be turned up over 4 before it starts to sound best, you're using the wrong guitar, with the wrong pickups, that pedal only works with an amp that's already distorting, that pedal will sound fizzy because it doesn't have a mid hump etc etc but the amp is fine.

Fender amps work for millions of people but not for everyone. Someone will recommend basically a complete overhaul before saying "maybe you bought the wrong amp".

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Out of five blackfaces the one I like the least is the one every one says is the best, even been called "the desert island amp". The Deluxe Reverb. I don't hate it and it's ok for some stuff so I'll keep it. But if someone offered me a trade for an old 4 hole Hiwatt I'd jump on it. Already got the old Hiwatt cab. :)

5. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Holic

There are so many great amps nowadays you don't need to limit your options to tweed, BF, Marshall.

pugnax likes this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

One of my favorite tricks is to pull two 6L6s from a Twin.

...Because a Super Reverb doesn't have a midrange control on its normal channel.

If I tweedify the normal channel or wire a Kendrick Climax circuit in there it's more amp than I'll ever need.

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

and it is a truly versatile amp with two distinct preamps.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  8. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

There have been thousands of Fender black face amps made and thousands of satisfied customers who bought them. Probably more of them used on recordings than all other amps combined.They make other amps for the few who don't like them. Life is so simple.

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Love classic Fender amps. Tweed, Brown, BF, Silverface. Love'em all. In fact I love classic American amps in general: Valco, Harmony, Gibson, Silvertone, Mesa, Traynor, Gretsch you name it. We like what we like.

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Deluxe Reverb's never rang my bell. They always seemed like fine utilitarian amps to me, like silverface twins. Either is good to have around and sound decent enough, but neither has any 'mojo' for me.

On blackface's in general, I think they rule *if* you are a blues-based/soul-based player, weaving between chords and lines, taking advantage of dynamics for expression, enjoying a fat clean'ish to mildly overdriven tonal range. If you are a rocker or heavier player, blackface amps most likely aren't going to be within your stratosphere of preference. Personally, I love both old school Fender and Marshall (and Hiwatt) amps. Blackfaces have their places (silverfaces too), and old school Marshalls do other things very well that blackface amps don't (and the other way around).

By the way, my first gratifying experience with a tonally blackface amp was a silverface twin that was blackfaced, and that sound is still deeply implanted into my head. It had a very similar thing going on with my current super reverb, but it was running a warmer set of 12" speakers and running at half-power. The sound of that amp was equally as good as my super, only a different take on it. Less punchy and glassy and more buttery, elastic, and warm (with significantly looser bass), and about as loud as my super reverb or a bit less (which to me isn't too loud).

I also remember being a young player mostly into metal and hating all Fender amps. They sounded way too loose and didn't have enough gain. I remember thinking that they were the worst amps ever.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Ricky D. likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Just a FWIW...I have a silverface Super Reverb and a silverface Princeton Reverb that I love the sound of.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I like BF Fenders, but not all of them. I've found that I dont love the ones without a bright switch(PR, DR). I know that can be clipped. The ones WITH a bright switch are the bigger ones tend to be too loud to overdrive. I've owned a TR, a SR, a Pro Reverb and a Tremolux. They all sounded amazing clean, great overdriven(except the Twin) but were too loud to consistently gig at their sweet spot.

If I went the BF route again, itd be a clone like an Allen or Vintage Sound with a bright switch and a PPIMV.

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I also own a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. It’s cleaner and brighter than my crusty old Fender.

14. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

60'S Twin Reverb, that's my DNA, but alas, nothing (with pedals, without pedals) is the same as those amps.
    They were tight and well, sounded like the 60's. I know that sound, and haven't heard it since 73-74.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I don't think they are really for me either, perhaps more on features than tone. There are some interesting comments about the internet trying to coerce every player into liking them.

I have also noticed how ridiculous it is that so many people seem to buy Fender amps and not like them and immediately start fiddling with them and spending lots of money on new speakers, tubes, modifications, etc..

That said obviously there are tons of people with great tone coming out of Fender amps.

I don't really agree with the idea a clean Fender amp is more revealing of mistakes. Gainy amps can be extremely revealing of mistakes too. I actually feel like "revealing of mistakes" goes hand in hand with an amp being high quality & having excellent tone.

16. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

as with everything in life, it is all subjective. i love fender tweed, blonde, early silverpanel and blackpanel amps as well as some gibson amps, sears silvertone amps and vox amps. i feel i can tweak almost any amp, including SS amps, to get a sound i like.

to each their own. a better way to have posted this would have been in the positive toward the amps you like instead of the negative of theones you don't like. but, i realize that is not the world we live in today.

play music!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Apache Snow, pugnax and Tube Life like this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think the recording studio is the biggest revealer of mistakes. The live playing environment is extremely forgiving of tiny little
    mistakes that you quickly recover from and that no one, even your band mates, notices. But man oh man they sure are evident in the recording!

bftfender likes this.
  18. chris m.

It is interesting how Fender and Marshall tend to be the most dominant brands in people's minds. They are so many other great guitar tube amps being made by other companies
    today! Not including SS or boutique makers, and only listing relatively large manufacturers, you still have: Orange, Vox, Supro, Laney, Traynor, Blackstar, Mesa Boogie,
    Peavey, Egnater, and probably a few more that I'm not thinking of. Everyone should be able to find a tube amp that they can bond with, especially if they're willing to cast
    a bit wider net.

19. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

while i agree, did you mean to post this about amps rather than in a recording situation? thanks,
    play music!

20. chris m.

I mentioned this because earlier in the thread people were saying this amp or that amp tends to reveal mistakes more or less.
    I made my post about the studio because I believe amp choice is not important compared to live vs. recording studio. I.e., it's really
    not a factor that should even be weighed at all when considering different amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.