1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I don't like Fender Blackface Amps!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 16, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, based on your avatar name, you don't like Strats either! "Nothing to see here" :lol:

8trackmind likes this.
  2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I have a 1980 DR Blackface and a ‘58 Tweed Deluxe.
    No complaints so far.

3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

One does not have the wrong amp, only the wrong pedals.

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That’s entertaining!

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I always go back to black or silverface amps.
    But we're all different and if you don't care for them it's ok. Gotta go with what works for you.

Telecastoff1 and 2HBStrat like this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find with MV Marshalls, the Drive knob (whatever it's called) and the Master knob (whatever it's called) need to each be at or above about 3 o'clock to "thicken up". I don't know how much overdrive a 2000 has though. But sometimes I'll just dime both knobs and roll my volume back to 1/10th and that's the best sound. Oh, and Presence off. No amount of EQ tweaking will overcome having the Presence high, or the Drive and Master low, and still produce a full tone to my ear. Unless you are in a dense mix, playing with a tone of gain and need that sizzle.

Axis29 likes this.
  7. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I haven't met many amps that I don't like. I personally go weak for 70's Hylight era Hiwatt amps and 6G era early tolex Fender amps, but I still love cranking up my 67 Deluxe Reverb. The thing about blackface amps is they expose how good your technique is while it's easier to hide one's mistakes in the overdrive that a tweed or Marshall offers. A poor craftsman blames their tools anyways. A good guitarist should be able to make a Pignose sound good.

pugnax, nojazzhere and BobbyZ like this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't like it when I haven't done my laundry and I'm down to underwear that's from like 8 years ago and too small now.

Big_Ger likes this.
  9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I don't really care for Fender amps period

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Would that 1980 DR Blackface be a Rivera design?

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

If all you're doing is playing lead guitar then you're going to want a mid heavy amp. But for those of us who are trying to sing the Fender Blackface sound complements that. One could even say it cradles the vocals.

black_doug, pugnax and Tim S like this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No. Fender went back to Blackface amps in the late Silverface era. All the 'Blackface" two channel reverb/tremolo in 81/82 went back to Blackface cosmetics in an attempt to arrest the sales slide. 80+ amps are the same as late SF.

82+ Rivera amps like my Superchamp are easily distinguishable because they only have one channel with gain and master plus pull boosts.

Matt Sarad and 2HBStrat like this.
  13. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

nojazzhere and 2HBStrat like this.
  14. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I don't particularly like them....

They sound great when others play through them but I don't like how "I" sound through them. I've tried like hell but it's just not there with the exception of a blackface AB 165 Bassman I once had. I did like it a lot.

15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

You and I are opposites. Nothing wrong with your ears or mine, we just like different things. I'm a BF Fender guy ever since they were the new Fender amps in the music stores in the mid 60s. They were the right amps to sound like the music I was playing. The British revolution stuff with the Vox and Marshall amps just wasn't my thing at all. Didn't really like that music, didn't have any use for the amps that made it. My thing was Motown and Stax, 60s soul top 40 covers, and BF Fenders were right in the wheelhouse for that.

You say you have a few BF Fender amps, but you don't like the way they sound. That's not surprising, you are a Marshall guy, a 2HBStrat guy. I'm sure that's what works best for you.

If you want to have a blast playing something different, sit down with a 5E3, a tweed Deluxe. Big fat cleans and vicious overdrive, nothing like a black face. You can try mine if you are ever in Raleigh.

pugnax and nojazzhere like this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I don't play a 2 humbuckers Strat as my main guitar anymore, though.

See, I just naturally thought that the Blackface Fenders were the pinnacle of the Fender amps, not really being aware that they were totally different from the prior tweeds. Leo was an engineer and his goal was to create cleaner and cleaner tones which is not what we guitarists want all the time.

Ricky D. likes this.
  17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Well, there's one of you.

18. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Meister

I liked my Princeton Reverb clone only after I took it out of the mid scoop territory...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE my Blackface Princeton yet my early 70s SF Twin did nothing for me in terms of tone. It was only good in the 70s /80s for gigs.

20. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Here's the thing... most people these days do not like blackface amps. But they buy them up because the interweb "they say" tells them to. It's the kool kid amp to have. If you don't have one, why, you can't be a good geetar player! Get off my website, peon!

So they buy them, then hate them, then mask everything about the tone with a dozen pedals. It's insanity. I read all these threads about people wanting a pedal that "sounds like a Marshall" or whatever. So why do you have a PRRI when you WANT A MARSHALL?!??

It's frustrating and annoying at how guitars, amps and some pedals have become "the thing you must have and the more you have the cooler you will be as well as level up in the community". I see all these local guys with TONS of gear that never gets used. It just languishes in the case or closet or worse yet.... they have 400 pedals making their Super Reverb sound just like a Vox or Marshall.

So no, you're not alone.... but a huge amount of BF owners are in total denial.

black_doug, beninma, Ricky D. and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.