I Don't Like Bridge Pickups - How 'bout You?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grandy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

For me, I like to:

1. Roll back the tone and volume a bit on the guitar
    2. Adjust the amp so it sounds great on the bridge pup

If your pickup heights are set right, you should be able to easily get a good sound with the neck pup or both by tweaking the guitar controls. The key is getting it to sound good on the bridge pickup first.

fakeocaster likes this.
  2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

It can be nice to mix bridge and neck, but I built my Tele partscaster with a neck only Fralin P92. It's all I ever wanted.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

You'll like them all, if you have the right pickup/amp setup..

4. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I rarely use the bridge pickup only. I like bright, but I don't like thin.

On my Gibson-style guitar, I leave the selector in the middle and use the pickup volume controls to mix bridge and neck.
    When I play with overdrive/distortion, the I dial the neck pickup down a lot so it's mostly bridge - but I almost always play clean or clean-ish.

My DIY tele has a five way "superswitch" with the Deaf Eddie wiring scheme. I never use the bridge only or neck only positions. The both pickups in series position gives a fatter sound. The middle position is the normal bridge and neck sound. There is another position for series out of phase - this gives that sound when you find a sweet spot on your wah pedal and just leave it there.

So, yes, I'm like OP - not a bridge pickup alone fan.
    There are plenty of guitarists whose tones I like, a lot, who do use bridge alone. But for whatever reason it doesn't work when I'm playing.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

When you are playing with a bass and drums, not to mention rhythm guitar and vocals it can be hard to cut through the mix with neck or both pickups. I love the tone of the neck or N+B PU(s) at home but the warmer sounds gets lost on stage very often, especially if the bassist and drummer are aggressive.

6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

On a Tele? That's where 90% of my playing happens.

Same on a Les Paul.

The Strat's bridge pickup seems anemic by comparison, and I usually opt for the middle pickup.

Whatever I'm playing, I love the neck pickup for lead work.

swany likes this.
  7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Strats can be thin in the bridge. I've used Strats a lot and hot rails aren't bad but the bridge PUs overwound to 8-10k with 43 gauge wire (TX Special style) work very well for me. Duncan SSL5 PUs are nice. I've always thought if the bridge PU was moved forward about a inch on a strat it would have been better.
    Btw, the bridge PU in the Tonerider City Limits set sounds very good to me. The City Limits set is their version of the Fender TX Special set but I think they got it closer to a 59 to 63 Strat with a better bridge tone than the Tx Special did (they're only $99 a set too). They will nail the SRV tone through a BF amp.

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

You should have a go on my Vintage V120...

9. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd say I used to be 80/20 bridge/neck.

Never had a use for a neck pickup, they all seemed muffled to me.

Then I got a Tele with a neck pickup which just sang - only a plain old tele neck pickup but that guitar had to absolute woodiest richest neck tone I've heard. I changed my playing drasticallyto make use of this new found tone.
    I'm about 80/20 neck/bridge now, and play with my tone/volume controls much more.

Before I was a Bridge pickup only everything on 10 kinda guy, for which I apologise.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like, need, and must have a good sounding bridge pickup.
    I also need a good sounding neck pickup.
    I don’t need a middle pickup.
    Thanks for listening.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    perttime likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Gibson>Marshall --power tubes maxed = bridge pup mania

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I like as much treble and high end on my tone as I can get. Not enough brightness turns into blanket over the amp pretty quick for me. I have some sensorineural hearing loss, so I'm aware that that is why. But it's something I fight with. Being bright enough for me can be shrill to others. I fight it.

But I still love bridge pickups. Both for the rock thing or new country, I'm a rhythm player and a lead player and I like that bridge pickup loud bark and high end bite and crunchy. And for old country/90s country, the tele back pickup can't be beat. I like twang, but a beefier twang ala a Broadcaster or Nocaster. Flatpole Alnico III pickups are my jam nowadays. Early blackguards have the rock crunch I want but still have a fat twang for country music.

I hate Tele lipstick neck pickups. I change them out for other kinds or use a tall wind. A P90, humbucker, minibucker/firebird, strat neck, etc pickup will work just fine for me. I like a clear neck pickup that has just ever so slight warmth to it. But a murky neck pickup is NOT my idea of a good time.

All in all, if I had to have only one pickup, it'd be a bridge pickup. I have a Tele with a Seymour Duncan Little 59 wired straight to the jack. Meat and potatoes rock rhythm crunch guitar. I'm a big fan of Keef and I like being able to do AC/DC or Aerosmith tunes with it and it works great.

Mincer likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

For the most part, I like playing a bright neck pickup, or middle position with both pickups. On Strats, I pretty much never use the bridge pickup - unless it's a humbucker.

But I just installed an Area T bridge pickup in one of my Teles - one with a humbucker at the neck. And I've really discovered the joys of the bridge pickup (for an edgy rock style) with this Area T - it's full and bright and just a little 'edgy'.

The Area T bridge sounds terrific! I guess now I'm a fan of both neck pickups AND bridge pickups! :twisted:

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  14. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Telerocker1988 I felt like you do about Tele neck PUs until I decided to pull the cover off one. It's a night and day difference to me, it went from dull and muddy to clear and bright. I've been using open top "beauty ring" type covers ever since. I have a Filter'tron in the neck of a Tele I like and firebird PUs are great in Teles too (actually I love FB PUs in anything). I would like to have a Tele bridge plate for mini bucker/firebird pickups. I think a dual FB or p90 neck and FireBird bridge Tele would be great. I've thought about using a humbucker Tele bridge and a bucker to mini adapter ring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.