I don't know if this has been here before, but..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think that's probably always been true with all instruments. People think it's easier than it is and give up after a few months. Both my daughters tried to play instruments - the drums and the trumpet. Both dropped it within a year. Trumpet went back to the rental place and I got my snare back. It did stick with my grandson though - he's a pretty good trumpet player now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Even if it's true we are still too many...:D:D

8trackmind and boris bubbanov like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think FMIC is kidding themselves, that they have at all accurate data about this type of thing.

I think people make initial contact with FMIC, then they realize there's so little to be gained by sharing their data with FMIC and so they continue what they're doing and they don't begin to care whether FMIC knows, or not. I am sure that most would be players fizzle out, depending on how you define that. But is this One in Three, One in Seven, or One in Fifteen? I don't see how they can say they know.

There's no correlation between what FMIC knows about me and say, how many times I played out that year. Or how many hundreds of hours I practiced that year. Guitars are not ice cream cones - you can keep using just one guitar for scores of years. How do they pretend to know so much. Are people just telling FMIC "I quit" so they would stop sending junk e-mails to their box?

If FMIC wants more people to "succeed" at guitar, maybe they should sponsor some venues? I am beginning to see a trend here, where people really know how to play, and play well, but there's no outlet for their efforts. NOTHING like it was when I was young. Too few venues; too few drummers and keyboard players and a general public that's getting less appreciative of live music every day.

nojazzhere and P Thought like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It has already been posted, but worthy of more discussion. Getting over the hump is the real issue for first time guitar purchasers. Always has been and always will. I'm sure all of us have seen that. I suppose, if the industry really wanted to grow their industry, they should band :))) together to invest and build a fantastic YT lesson series.

Toto'sDad, P Thought and Dismalhead like this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I think a good portion of the youth coming up these days are interested in other things. Taking this concept and extending it out, I believe it's the reason why some sports (golf & NASCAR immediately come to mind) are in serious trouble.

If I were to theorize why this is; Golf takes too long to play and is too difficult to learn, not to mention the real estate involved. NASCAR is just boring - bunch of cars driving in circles all day. Kids nowadays don't have the patience nor the interest in these, hence the decline. Try as they might to attract the youth of today (NASCAR playoffs?!?! Seriously?!?), it's just not working. Golf & NASCAR will probably be gone in about 5 years.

You can correlate these same reasons when it comes to learning an instrument. Guitar (like golf) is too difficult to learn and takes too long to master. Couple that with the infinite number of distractions providing instant gratification, the result are industries in decline.

You really wanna get kids to learn an instrument? Take away all of their screened distractions (phones, tablets, TVs, video games, etc) and show them the value of learning music. Get them thinking for themselves and exploring their creativity. And stop promoting laziness!!

Damn, I'm sounding like an old man now.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's not a "youth these days" problem.

And I bet if anyone really wanted to look, the abandonment rate for just about any hobby is astronomically high.

Took 3 tries separated by nearly a decade each for guitar to "stick" for me.

Interests, time, availability and budget come and go on any activity.

8. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think you could put just about any hobby in place of "guitar" there and it would be about the same. Getting good at pretty much anything takes some time and commitment, and for many people if you don't see quick results you move on.

MilwMark and Nubs like this.
  9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Fearnot and Nubs like this.
  10. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You just nailed it, IMHO

11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I'd agree. And movies and tv don't help - they tend to gloss over the fact that it takes hard work and dedication, and paint it as though people are just "naturals" who immediately jump right in and perform like a pro.

Dismalhead likes this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It occurs to me now to thank the buyers who never called when, short on money and under-satisfied with my progress as a new player, I tried to sell my first guitar. After dropping my price until it was less than half what I'd paid, I decided I might as well just keep the thing. I plugged along with it enough more years--44 now and counting--to get past that point of putting it down.

If those classified newspaper ads had been more successful in 1975, there would be no P Thought on TDPRI, no Living Rumors, no GAS attacks, no legends in my own mind. So thanks to everyone who did not call.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Music and golf share one thing in common, once you buy your initial equipment, after a short (sometimes very short) period of time, you realize what you bought isn't going to work for you. Some folks just never go on from there. It's a pity that people who start out to play the guitar don't really realize what's involved in learning to play even enough to entertain themselves let alone anyone else.

A few years back my one of my grandsons wanted me to "show" him how to play the guitar. I was all exited, and gave him a decent electric guitar and amp. I gave him a few lessons, and discovered he wasn't practicing at all. So, I sat down with him and asked what was going on? He said, well grandpa, I thought you could just "show" me how to play the guitar, like someone would "show" me how to use a phone app, then I'd be good to go. Needless to say, he soon lost interest altogether, and the guitar and amp presumably sold. I didn't even ask.

nojazzhere, Obsessed and P Thought like this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Nubs, at 44,you're just getting started! Being a crochety old fart is FUN!

Nubs likes this.
  15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I just figured too many people bought strats. If they'd bought teles or Mustangs, they'd have kept at it......

trev333 likes this.
  16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

In most cases, the rewards for the hard work of learning and practicing are all internal, at least to start with. A better external reward system, i.e. playing with friends, playing for an audience, making a nice recording, is really helpful.

I've seen numerous examples of a really great school music teacher getting a band of kids together, teaching them the basics needed to cover a few familiar songs, and arranging for them to perform in public. These kids have a far better chance of sticking with it because they've seen the rewards.

I also like the idea of Fender et al sponsoring some venues and shows. (instead of just moaning about kids quitting)

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I do not believe golf will be gone in five years. If it becomes less played by the masses, it will become what it once was a sport primarily for rich folks. The "club" will always appeal to those who wish not to have to rub elbows with the poor folks. Golf is popular all over the world, it's not as popular here in the states as it once was, for the same reason music has drop outs, you can't download an app that will make you a player. Most likely I either won't be able to play any more, or I'll be at that big 19th hole in the sky in five years. I hope if you're right and I'm wrong golf will last at least as long as I do. Golf has provided every bit as much enjoyment to me over the years as music has, and I like both. Played a lovely golf course yesterday fraught with water and bunkers, a real challenge. It's like having a big piece of pie for me, I loved it.

nojazzhere, Driver3 and Nubs like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It takes low action and barre chords.

And the little secret that an overwhelming amount of every pop/rock song on the radio from 1955-now is 3-6 chords.

How did they hook kids on music/instruments for a couple decades in ‘Murica ?

Lap steels.

“We’ll have you playing a song after your first lesson !”

Want to keep kids interested ?

Have them playing a song THEY like - ASAP.

Reading ? Theory ? Tab ? Shenandoah Valley ? Mel Bay ? Fender Play ?

Screw all that.

Teach a kid how to play guitar like your buddy taught you . (“Put this finger here and your ring finger there. That’s an A form barre chord. You can slide that all up and down the neck...”)

They’ll fill in whatever blanks they want if they keep playing .

Or , if they’re like me, they’ll keep with the chord whacking approach and still have fun and be in a band, etc.

Driver3, trev333 and Obsessed like this.
  19. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

the boomer generation probably had the highest drop rates we'll ever see with guitars. every kid wanted to play guitar like the Beatles... most of them got garbage/unplayable import guitars their parents bought at a Sears... and they never touched it again. newer generations with affordable, well built options are probably a lot more likely to stick with the instrument. but like others have mentioned, rock music is for old people and nowhere near as cool as it used to be!

Nubs likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender should hire you right now. Hold out for a golden parachute.

Driver3 and Wallo Tweed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.