1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I don't know about Tweeter, but the monkey man may be coming...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Ok, quickly read a few articles, so that makes me know just enough to be dangerous (unfortunately I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night). It seems that the key provision I got wrong is stating that farmers get sued through no fault of their own. Monsanto has a non legally binding statement that they publish saying that they won't sue inadvertent users of their product. However, Monsanto still reserves its patent protection through future generations of their product. So, for example, if you buy a patented fruit and eat it, then plant the seed, you could be held accountable to pay a licensing fee for the resulting plant.

The same argument was put forth in the aquarium industry when engineered GloFish were introduced. Recognizing my above noted blunder I quickly checked to see if things have changed in the ensuing years. Their patent information is still on their website, stating "Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited."

In this case, one could buy a few guppies at an aquarium store, take them home and breed them, then sell them with no problems. However if one buys a patented GloFish and does the same, they run afoul of U.S. patent protection and are subject to paying a licensing fee.

While I support intellectual property protection laws, because without that kind of protection there is little incentive for companies or individuals to invest in R&D to create cool or useful new things, I am not completely comfortable with genetic patents.

getbent likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I love the arbitrary nature of ALL of this stuff... seed companies have intellectual property and can control markets, folk singers, not so much! ha ha!

it is friday, I am 4:45 minutes from a martini, it is sunny and I'm happy.... if the world gets scienced or faithed into non existence, well, it won't be today! in the meantime, lets all dance!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

4. getbent

I would be a little hesitant to eat at the cafeteria at the

"Central Experimental Station for Researching Reproduction of Domestic Animals"

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have complete faith in the laboratories in these locations. They would never do anything that is not for our Greater Good and Glorious Future.

6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

In the end its always the little guy who gets screwed over and pays the freight while the guy at the top loads up on salary and options.

Thankfully the big boys make good money on selling the rest of us things like alcohol or we'd really be miserable.

Cheers! I'm a few hours ahead of you here in Pittsburgh, but I think I'll follow your worthwhile suggestion just as soon as I finish up.

getbent likes this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

getbent likes this.
  8. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

^What could go wrogn?

JSMac likes this.
  9. getbent

sounds like and Ole and Lena joke!

Ole works at the zoo and the zookeeper says to Lena, Ole's wife, 'sooo, our gorilla she doesn't have a mate and we'd like to breed her and we determined that your husband, Ole, has the stuff, ya know, to, uh, make it happen. He says he's willing but he wanted us to ask you."

Lena pauses for a moment and then says, 'Oooh, Yahhh, well, how much will it be costin' us then?'

order the pepper steak, I'll be here all week, tip that waitress!

dkmw, Harry Styron and suave eddie like this.
  10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We are monkeys with car keys, who have recently claimed out of the Primatine Mist.

getbent and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic idea!!

Carl Hiassen is probably at work on this concept as we speak:eek:

getbent and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

"Volunteers" in Soviet Russia. Not exactly hard to come by when the elite needed them.

suave eddie likes this.
  13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing about this genetic copying thing, is well, it can just get out of hand.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.