I don't have any guitars anymore, starting over, need tele advice.e

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheFoodScientist, Aug 7, 2016.

1. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

I'd trawl the big box stores for a used one, sooner or later you'll run across a good player. Also, all the vintage spec parts are a drop-in on a MIM, and any neck will feel smoother if you knock the gloss off the back of the neck with a Scotchbrite pad. The only drawback with MIMs are the ceramic pickups, but that doesn't mean you'd love the stock pups in the Road Worn or CV any more or less.

So don't hold out for a specific model just because of specs, unless you're apprehensive about doing mods. Which you shouldn't be, because they're fun and you end up learning a lot about the guitar in the process.

2. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think all good choices, but if it were me, I'd go used as well. You get much more bang for the buck with used.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming that cnj covers areas local to you;

Get this used Standard model https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/5679488769.html which sells new what the MIMs sell used.

For $150 guitar you can have a little money left over for this $75 Bandit that is highly recommended by TDPRI regulars https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/5717870567.html

Down the road you can mod this guitar with anything you want, keep playing as is, or sell it to fund another guitar. I have a Standard that I only modded with a capacitor change. It might get a 4-way switch in the future just because I like that switch so much on my Affinity.

New or used guitar, I'd budget in a $50 setup to make sure it plays for you.

4. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

5. TheFoodScientist

TheFoodScientist TDPRI Member

I bought a tele today! I pulled the trigger on a Squier Classic Vibe Custom. I've played them in stores and loved them, and at $449 it is the most responsible decision given my current situation. And I think its a gorgeous looking instrument. Here is the actual one, I usually go for a darker looking rosewood fretboard but the string alignment on this one looked the best out of the 4 they have in stock at sweetwater, and its also the lightest one at 7lb 6oz.

CGS1603963-body-large.jpg

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Lovely!

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Were you just being facetious or was this a serious suggestion. I ask because that is just what I have done:

A-901.jpg

Got myself a near mint used Yanagisawa A901 recently (and have been taking sax lessons for a year or two)

radiocaster and KyAnne like this.
  8. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Good choice! I've got the butterscotch one and for the price I couldn't be happier!

9. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Just no "genetically modified" ok? :)
    Death and to Hell with the "new world order"!

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.