1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I don't car much for RHCP's unless Jack or Hillel are at the helm, here's why.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleman1, Apr 10, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Tele-friend and edvard like this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Hillel is just killings it.

3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Hillel is the second best RHCP guitarist, which is not an attempt to discredit him in any way. I have no opinion regarding Jack/Chad. I like them both.

4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I mean, I like the Hillel era songs--seeing RCHP do "True Men Don't Kill Coyotes" on Night Flight (remember that?) made me a fan for life. But Frusciante is something otherworldly. We saw them on the Stadium Arcadium tour, and when John was playing--not making a Chapelle Show joke, I mean this seriously--it's like you could see his aura emanating from the stage.

5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

My favorite RHCP lineup is when Kiedis is off the stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. Saw them in Phoenix, August '06, and they were fantastic. But I think Chad/Flea/Frusciante jamming is them at their pinnacle.

Maybe that's just me.

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hillel was awesome.

Froosh IS the chilies

Don't get me wrong, all 4 are essential members. But their commercial success, the hooks, riffs, melodies, it's big time JF.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I heard he killed coyotes.

8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Just watched the “Funky Monks” documentary from when they recorded BSSM. It’s amazing how much John had to do with the music and arrangements. Even how the background vocals were sung. And he was about 20 at the time that album was made.

9. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

In addition to being a legitimate guitar god, he's also a wonderful singer. Better than Kiedis, in my opinion.

notroHnhoJ and swervinbob like this.
  10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's interesting. I can't imagine the Chilis without the voice of keidis. But now i wonder how they would have fared with a different singer. I think he, and his style, are fundamental to their identity. Plus he writes almost all the lyrics (for what that's worth).

I love John and his harmony singing additions, but I don't think he's got the voice of a front man. So we'll disagree there.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

It’s kind of funny that there’s threads on RHCP and Iggy on the first page. I guess it’s shirts optional day on TDPRI?

12. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Man....I dunno. I just was convinced that folks fascination with this band was kind of the death of rock music in the’90s.

13. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Just finished spinning BSSM.

There’s a lot of filler on that album, but its all gold.

14. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Yes! First 3 albums frickin' rule! :cool:

15. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

A big RHCP fan here!
    I agree with lots of stuff that was said already here and will add some of my thoughts:

Kiedis said it himself in his autobiography that when he had to sing a song Higher Ground for album he was scared, because the vocals were so hard. He thought he couldnt do it. At that time he didnt sing melodic stuff much. BUT later in his career you can really see how he developed as a singer.

Definitely, RHCP would not have gotten so far without JF. He is such a creative force.

Yep, like my wife said when we were listening to JF's solo albums, "JF has such a beautiful voice". But I honestly believe that RHCP need Kiedis as a frontman. He has the charisma and energy when he is dancing and jumping on the stage... JF is a guitar god and a perfect backing vocalist, but for me Kiedis is a much more appropriate frontman in RHCP.

About Hillel and Slovak, they are also great. I really like RHCP earlier stuff when those two were in the band. Hillel was such an inspiration for JF who then carried the torch and lifted RHCP to a whole new level.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  16. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Good band, cant stand keidis

buster poser likes this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Kiedis pretty much IS RHCP.

I know that’s controversial amongst musicians to say that, but the band didn’t sell tens of millions of albums because a bunch of nerdy musicians preferred one guitarist or another. That was part of their success, as is having a virtuoso bassist who is a singular personality in his own right.

But the high percentage of the population is going to care more about a charismatic and attractive frontman than anything else. Add onto that his introspective lyrics resonated personally with a lot of people.

18. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's funny how John when he did his first couple of gigs with the band pretty much tried to steer the band into a different direction sound-wise as his Rig was very different from Hillel's

Footage of the very first show John played with the band, he used a Kramer super strat into a Carvin Full stack.

Here's the band some time later, John had a deal with Ibanez going which got him two RG models AND his Wah pedal which he still uses today.

Photos show that he used his Ibanez guitars and Carvin stack on the "Mother's milk" sessions but Flea in particular was basically forcing John to get rid of them and start playing Fender Strats and Marshall amps since that was what Hillel was playing, and John, being the rookie he was, did what Flea told him.

19. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Probably my favourite RHCP song from "that" album... full disclosure - Higher Ground doesn't count and the rest of the album is garbage.

I also love that they messed up the mix and you're hearing John's backup vocals as the main vocal.

buster poser likes this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mother's Milk is the last one I owned by them, and Knock Me Down is still my favorite song of theirs (never knew that about the vox, too funny). BSSM was where I got off the train, just intolerable on about every level apart from Frusciante's guitar playing. Great playing didn't keep me listening to shredmetal either, wasn't going to work for them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.