I don't build Tributes but couldn't resist this one

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Wonderful history - this is priceless memorabilia of a special band and a special time - and the personification of Rock & Roll...
Sadly, I don't think I ever saw Motorhead... but, I did see Lemmy in Hawkwind ! at an outdoor festival (somewhere!) - great days!
Nice axe - thanks for posting!

Paul Jenkin

Friend of Leo's
I saw them a few times. As I lived in Stockport, the Ardwick Apollo was a favourite venue and one Motorhead gig I attended was the loudest noise I have ever encountered. Painful even. However, some amazing gigs.

knockeduptele

Tele-Holic
I saw them a few times. As I lived in Stockport, the Ardwick Apollo was a favourite venue and one Motorhead gig I attended was the loudest noise I have ever encountered. Painful even. However, some amazing gigs.

The Manchester Apollo was always a Great gig and an amazing local crew run by a guy called Danny if I remember correctly, and we always got two 40 foot trucks (Semis for the US guys) out in less than an hour (the Motorhead crew always worked on the basis that a three hour load out was two hours wasted drinking time - there are sound reasons for this, 4 coke cans for the gig - two straight for the show, one 50/50 Southern Comfort for the encore and one straight but in the other direction for as soon as the guitar cases were closed - in modern terms this is referred to as "limited availability of time resource to carry out the tasks required")

It was perhaps a little raucous and a few venues gave us problems - I remember on the Bomber Tour King Georges Hall Blackburn put the environmental health guy in to measure the sound levels as they were misguidedly attempting to hold a local council meeting in the same building that night - same town would have been mistake!). So we watched the guy set up his lovely calibrated B&K kit up in the balcony where the public were't allowed to go (after the Siouxsie and the Banshees gig were it nearly fell down a couple of months before with too much pogoing - same crew it was all a bit interleaved back in 79) and then from the stage we watched him headbang his way through the gig - At the end of the night he came down and shook Dave the Out Front Sound guy by the hand and said "Congratulations that is the loudest thing I have ever measured"

Such times :)

Last edited:

Paul Jenkin

Friend of Leo's
The Manchester Apollo was always a Great gig and an amazing local crew run by a guy called Danny if I remember correctly, and we always got two 40 foot trucks (Semis for the US guys) out in less than an hour (the Motorhead crew always worked on the basis that a three hour load out was two hours wasted drinking time - there are sound reasons for this, 4 coke cans for the gig - two straight for the show, one 50/50 Southern Comfort for the encore and one straight but in the other direction for as soon as the guitar cases were closed - in modern terms this is referred to as "limited availability of time resource to carry out the tasks required")

It was perhaps a little raucous and a few venues gave us problems - I remember on the Bomber Tour King Georges Hall Blackburn put the environmental health guy in to measure the sound levels as they were misguidedly attempting to hold a local council meeting in the same building that night - same town would have been mistake!). So we watched the guy set up his lovely calibrated B&K kit up in the balcony where the public were't allowed to go (after the Siouxsie and the Banshees gig were it nearly fell down a couple of months before with too much pogoing - same crew it was all a bit interleaved back in 79) and then from the stage we watched him headbang his way through the gig - At the end of the night he came down and shook Dave the Out Front Sound guy by the hand and said "Congratulations that is the loudest thing I have ever measured"

The night of one of the gigs I went to in Manchester, I left work a bit early and drove home (I had to pass the Apollo to go down Hyde Rd) to get ready and pick my mate up.

As I approached the Ardwick roundabout, I could hear Motorhead, in the car - with the windows closed. I rolled down the car window and caught a few seconds of what I can only presume was a sound check.

I've attended some loud bands in my time but Motorhead was definitely the loudest I can recall. A really good bunch of fans as well.

A couple of Guinness before the gig at the Apsley House and then off for a curry and a few more afterwards. Bloody good times, indeed :twisted:

reddy2300

Tele-Meister

Where is the "Love" button for this post?!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Although I went to over 20 Motorhead shows over the years, nothing seemed as loud as that one, plus it was the last time I saw Eddie play :(

Never a bad show, only one was slightly mediocre ( Robbo ). All were loud, all had a great mixed crowd. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and see Hawkwind delivering the original 'Space Ritual' with Lemmy, and relive nearly every Motorhead show, but at Leeds, I'd wear earplugs...

Lamf77

TDPRI Member
Late to the party here. I am grabbing a Classic 70's Vibe that has the natural body and "rosewood" fingerboard. Where did you get the metal guard, and knobs? Did Eddie have gold tuners and bridge/trem also? Thanks!

knockeduptele

Tele-Holic
The guard was actually a fender stock part - back in '77 there wasn't the same boutique market specially in the UK - for this one, I picked one up on ebay and it came in original Fender bubble pack, so they are around, its just a question of finding one - beware the anodised ones they just aren't "it" - Eddies party trick was blinding the audience (usually some girl) reflecting the lights off the plate between numbers so we used to polish the hell out of it and the follow spot ops usually played ball.

The knobs on the second build (and the first) were just random gold knobs bought in a music store in Newcastle if i remember correctly, rather than brass

The bridge was stock chrome but loose and held on with 2 screws, wiring was stock with a 5 way (i think) - saddles and nut were brass courtesy of Peter Cook back in the day.

Tuners were shcaller chrome stock (on both originals) - had there been been blingy tuners and bridge plates around, then they would have gone on, so on this one i did

This is the only pic I have of the original pair side by side

Eddies Strat Pic.jpg

Lamf77

TDPRI Member
The guard was actually a fender stock part - back in '77 there wasn't the same boutique market specially in the UK - for this one, I picked one up on ebay and it came in original Fender bubble pack, so they are around, its just a question of finding one - beware the anodised ones they just aren't "it" - Eddies party trick was blinding the audience (usually some girl) reflecting the lights off the plate between numbers so we used to polish the hell out of it and the follow spot ops usually played ball.

The knobs on the second build (and the first) were just random gold knobs bought in a music store in Newcastle if i remember correctly, rather than brass

The bridge was stock chrome but loose and held on with 2 screws, wiring was stock with a 5 way (i think) - saddles and nut were brass courtesy of Peter Cook back in the day.

Tuners were shcaller chrome stock (on both originals) - had there been been blingy tuners and bridge plates around, then they would have gone on, so on this one i did

This is the only pic I have of the original pair side by side

View attachment 938782
So the pickguard is metal? Brass? And the saddles on the chrome tremolo/bridge had brass swapped in for the original chrome? I appreciate all the help. The pickguard will be a tough find. Even if I get an inexpensive one to begin with....keep an eye out for an original Fender. Thanks

knockeduptele

Tele-Holic
So the pickguard is metal? Brass? And the saddles on the chrome tremolo/bridge had brass swapped in for the original chrome? I appreciate all the help. The pickguard will be a tough find. Even if I get an inexpensive one to begin with....keep an eye out for an original Fender. Thanks

the guard is plated (not anodised ) i believe brass - it wasn't cheap (bout $75 on an ebay buy so probably far more) and haven't manged to duplicate the finish on teles i have metal guards on includig highly polished brass - saddles were just brass saddles easy enough to find

the guard is the key to that build

Lamf77

TDPRI Member
Well guitar is here...now for the parts. PM'd you. While pickup covers? Bridge tone control? Thanks!

Attachments

• 271439356_523903575359241_8476704508670121851_n.jpg
    271439356_523903575359241_8476704508670121851_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
This thread is an example of why TDPRI is one of the best forums out there anywhere.

Thanks for the great stuff, knockeduptele. An original access pass from over 40 years ago! :D