I don’t want to drive 46 miles an hour for five hours (But I did)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 19, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Grew up near Frankenmuth, now I live in Colorado. We rarely visit the mountains over here, live just 45 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park. But a person usually goes Up North or to the mountains to relax and get away from the crowds. Only problem is that everyone else has the same idea. There's nothing relaxing about sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on I-75 or I-70. Visited Interlochen once, a real treasure.

imwjl and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Aah we were just getting to the point where we could make it the 200 miles to DC without yelling, when the youung'un up and moved to sanfrancisco. Not driving there. Took a plane. And a pill.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes going South then East is faster on that trip than the stop 'n go I-75.
    Olden days there was the draw bridge north of Saginaw that would back up traffic and maximum enforced speed of 55mph.

Stubee and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Ah yes. The two footed gas and brake dance. One more way in which automatic trans are making us dumber.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I somehow end, you know, "down there" that shall not be discussed - this will be my private Idaho, right there. I truly feel for you, man.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Last month we planned to drive from the Pas de Calais to Vannes in Brittany, roughly 380 miles in a day. About 70 miles into our journey we had a blow out on one of the front tyres. Being a Sunday we had no choice but to drive the remaining 300+ miles at no more than 50 mph on the space saving spare tyre. Not the most relaxing of journeys, maintaining 50 mph on a French motorway. I now know that my Ford Focus TDCI estate will average 83.2 mpg into the wind at a steady 50 mph!

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

We did .

Wasn’t on 75 at all.

It was just a perfect storm of a really heavy “up north” weekend and everybody leaving same time, early afternoon.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So, you brought this on yourself?

9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'd love a 5 hour trip in Michigan right now. Sounds very nice. (Soo boy here)

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad you made it safely. August sure has a lot of people road tripping and construction going on.

You've got me hoping to stay lucky. Maybe I know what you mean with this shift, but traveling with my wife is still great. Maybe it's because the relationship started on a road trip???

Maybe wait until fall for your next road trip? I know the trip you did to the ferries, or from the new ferry to Lansing and east to Canada.

You do remind my looking forward to a robot doing all the driving. I'm already pleased with robot doing part of it.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I always liked long distance driving. Crank up the tunes and go. Best trips were Huntsville Alabama to Ontario Oregon in two days, Ontario to Charleston in just under three days (both runs in my TR7 in 1979) and Charleston to Ontario in 2 1/2 days in my Trans Am in !983.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Stubee likes this.
  12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I almost forgot about a trip I made just a few years back. Boise to Seattle (just over 500 miles) in 7 3/4 hours in a rented Mustang.

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

E35811ED-07CF-4661-9A50-EF47DACF966E.gif

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I was headed north to Marquette when munisings football team had just finished their championship game in deetwa. I swear that EVERYBODY in the UP went to the game and I was in the middle. Took 12hrs from GR.

thegeezer and Mike Eskimo like this.
  15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Every time I’ve driven through Detroit trying to get to Livonia the last few years I’ve ended up on I whatever not moving. Just like home!

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Sounds a lot like a typical commute into downtown LA everyday, that’s why I never did it.
    I have a cousin and her and her husband live in West Covina and work in downtown LA.
    To keep from getting a divorce or committing homicide one would ride the Metro Link and the other would drive the car. Then they would switch every week or month or something.
    They are both lawyers and make huge money and somehow they have made it work.

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

20190724_164358.jpg The average speed in the family car is 30 mph. It kills the fuel mileage.

18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

We used to do Jersey shore runs 100 mph+ with three detectors.

19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

He was right. Fats a killer!

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I feel your pain. Jackie thinks every time she’s behind the wheel she’s racing. She doesn’t understand small corrections to the wheel not back & forth & back & forth while under & oversteering

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.