1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I do love the Guitar Center used section...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by beyer160, Nov 24, 2020.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I got my LP Trad Pro with 50s neck used at GC. The price was probably fair market value, but it was a really nice find.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I got my used 57 AVRI strat at one of the DFW guitar shows. I was walking around the floor looking for a vintage style strat preferably in sunburst.

I found one in one of the booths but it had this horrible mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard on it. The sales guy said it came with the original PG. Cool and the price was right. When I was paying the receipt said GC on it. I had no idea because I didn't notice the GC banner.

I've always had good luck with GC and have spent enough there that I joke with the staff that the sales manager has my framed picture in his office.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Right before we had our first stay at home order I found a used Herb Ellis ES-165 floater in the used section of GC online. It was priced about $800 lower than the going used prices and was in near new condition with its original case. I jumped on it. I got it on a Friday and the stay at home order was to be enforced on the following Saturday. I don't even think that that GC was going to open on that Saturday. Wonderful guitar to add to my collection.

dave19er and Jakedog like this.
  4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Ibanez RG520QS for $199.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

CD4197C4-B56C-430D-AC15-DFF32E432537.png I’ve purchased more than my fair share of used guitars from Guitar Center and always at a fair price. Their website photos and descriptions, however leave much to be desired. Was this considered a Telecaster?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

No. But it doesn’t matter. I don’t care what the going market value is, anybody who pays more than $100 for that guitar is nuts.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cocaine is the secret ingredient for any and all good routing.

8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I do like the Guitar Center used section, both in-store and online. I like that they’ll ship to an address that isn’t the billing address for your credit card. Music-Go-Round won’t do that, and it’s caused me a bunch of grief.

9. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve gotten great deals from there but yeah...pretty below average representation across the board. I actually saw an employee dip his long nail into a vial he had around his neck and proceed to sniff away....on opening day...AT THE FRONT COUNTER!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  10. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I was in my "local" GC today for the first time since ... uhhh, before March ... and the other customer in there was in selling them some part of his pedal board arrangement. The staff mentioned that they actually are having trouble getting any used stuff in these days.

Other customer also raised the Ch. 11 thing and the consensus of opinion was "we won't notice any difference for years yet."

11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve found some great deals on guitars on GC used online. I just call the store if it looks interesting and have someone send me pictures on their own phone. They are usually quite cordial and give me much better pictures.

12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I got my 2018 "Bankruptcy Special" SG there for a song... used but mint... with the deluxe padded case and baby photos etc. I must have asked the guy ten times if he was absolutely sure I could bring it back if I wasn't happy with it. As long as that's their policy, I'm all for the GC Used Section.

You do have to know what you're looking at though, because half the time the hang tags are inaccurate, and the other half of the time you get misinformed by the staff. When I bought the SG the guy said it was a really rare guitar because most SGs were made out of Mahogany, but this one was made of Walnut. I said, "What??!" And he said yeah, look right here it says "Walnut." (Pointed at production tag indicating the stain color.)

rotated sg.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    P Thought and lammie200 like this.
  13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

if you got it for $50, Imagine how much GC paid the poor, ignorant soul who sold it to them.. maybe 10 dollars??!?

Peegoo likes this.
  14. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

Earlier this year I bought an amp that I had been looking for the last ten years or more, a Reverend Goblin combo, from the used section in Guitar Center. There were only 300 of these made so you never really see them. It was located at a GC store across the country from me.

The transaction was easy breezy. I called the store to inquire about the condition since, as many have said, their online descriptions suck, and the salesperson answered everything to my satisfaction. The amp arrived at my local GC. It and was overpacked and the tubes were removed and bubble wrapped individually which made me happy. The best thing was the amp was in like new, almost perfect condition!

Was it a bargain? No. They new what they had and I paid what I expected to pay for something so rare. I was just happy that I finally found something that I had looked so long for that was in such great condition. Because Guitar Center is so large you might end up seeing things that you wouldn't ordinarily find in other stores.

15. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I've gotten everything out of the gc used section.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As a former employee, I can vouch for the “humanity” of the staff of most GC’s.
    The Used section is the only thing of interest at GC anymore, IMO.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There was a USA PRC McCarty for sale in a store near me, and I happened to be in the area. It aws listed as "excellent" condition - turns out there was a deep and long heel crack. I could have ripped it in half with my bare hands in the store.

18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Don't get me wrong, I do genuinely love GC's used section. It's just that I find great deals and unintentional hilarity in equal measures there. With very reasonable shipping rates and an excellent return policy, it's better than Reverb and eBay.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I was about to post that... before you feel too bad about buying something that they've badly underpriced, realize that they paid half of that to the seller.

20. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Usually there is not a whole lot at my local GCs' used dept. that interests me. Occasionally, I'll find something, however. The two main things I've found were a Taylor 816ce that had been "reliced" by its former owner. This idiot had scratched the top from one side to the other with what looked like a pick- not through the finish, but really messing up the finish. That damage, which I was able to minimize with several hours of lightly applied elbow grease and polishing compounds, wax etc, brought the price down to under $1200, so I nailed it. The second item was a Super Champ XD that looked like it had been put in a VERY dusty closet and left for several years. Fortunately everything worked well, so that one came home with me for $150 out the door. It took a couple of hours of intensive cleanup including scrubbing the tolex with a toothbrush to get all the gunk out of the texture, but it now looks as good as it sounds. Most everything else I haven't interested me because of need or price. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.