1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I do love the Guitar Center used section...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by beyer160, Nov 24, 2020.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I despise the lack of detail on GC used stuff. The small amount of detail they do provide end up like this though, so maybe its for the best?

Chiogtr4x, PhredE, teleman1 and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Haha, totally. They give a big FU in the used section. It’s almost like a burden they wish they could get rid of.

I’m sure they’ve tried to figure out ways to sell only new gear, but people keep trading things in for new stuff.

There are randomly some incredible bargains in there though. (At least there used to be)

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've done pretty well finding stuff in the used pile at my local GC. It's been perhaps five years since I've been in the place, however.

To say they sometimes have no idea what they're selling is exemplified by this one, from Dec 2012.

$50 out the door:

[​IMG]

5. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I had a “go around” with buying/trading a used guitar on line with them, and although forever friggin’ tempted, I cant do it again. Its such a crap shoot and a coin toss, it really is. Yeah they have an extremely generous return policy, but you do every last bit of the leg work and research required to figure out somethings utility, features, worth and if anything is broken or replaced.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have found some great deals on GC "Used" listings. The mistakes can just as easily go your way, you just have to look.

Edit: Oh, I did not see @Peegoo 's post before I posted. A prime example.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Dismalhead, Ronzo, PhredE and 4 others like this.
  7. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I saw a G&L Tribute, like the ones they sell on MF Stupid Deal for $299, in the used section for $799. I thought it was a US G&L until I saw the Tribute decal.

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I always contact the dealer selling the item. I ask for details and additional photos. They have always been very helpful, and happy to give me the information I'm looking for. I have found several incredible deals using tha process.

Lake Placid Blue and badger51 like this.
  9. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Been said already but, yeah, my principles aren't bothered that GC is frequently inaccurate with this stuff. Works in buyers' favor frequently enough, and that's okay with me. Caveat emptor.

Worst case, an inattentive or uninitiated buyer is "ripped off" by an inaccurate description. GC will take whatever item back with minimal hassle. Basically, costs nothing to gamble there.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Their used section is great.

But I do see an awful lot of "amp heads" that seem to be really tall and have at least one 12" speaker in them :lol:

NoTeleBob and Drew617 like this.
  11. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Just about every major piece of gear I own came from Guitar Center's online used section. Yes they do make mistakes, but prices are usually pretty well set to market. The low shipping cost and convenience of return to a nearby store makes it a low risk experience. However, I'm not sure I would feel so good about buying online used if I didn't have a nearby store for easy returns.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, agree with above. I have bought quite a number of things from GC used. Sometimes at my local store, other times online and shipped. The return policy is so generous I almost feel guilty. I have probably returned 50% of the things I've bought. but prices are generally fair. Their pricing is also a good benchmark for things you are selling yourself, or buying off Reverb. If you can buy it at GC for a certain price, there's no reason to pay more somewhere else.

13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I scored my stolen Heritage guitar in the used section. I said, "That's my guitar and I can prove it." The manager took it down, gave it to the police and I picked it up from them. I got my stolen guitar back a few months after the robbery. I paid the insurance company back since they'd already made the payout. This was about 17 years ago.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Everybody loves the GC used inventory, that's actually in the market for used gear. You can determine the non-buyer tire kickers, by their nonsensical criticisms. Any amount of homework, will reveal items at wholesale prices, that can be retailed for profit. Its shocking what I find there, about every week. I saw a $1000 banjo just last week, for $199. It took real restraint to not buy it, but I'm banjo poor. It was gone in days. That was a instant, double-your-money by the weekend deal.

P Thought and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Same.

Some may look down on that, but hey, I’ve gotten to try a lot of guitars over the years and hone in on what I really like.

The local store rarely has good stuff come in (though I did score a remarkably nice cheap Ibanez this week), but I can order online from anywhere, try it out for a bit and return it at the local store if I want to check something else out.

I should probably stop doing that, I wonder if the generous return policy is next to go bye bye.

16. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

It use to be a great place for studio recording gear but in the last couple of years the killer deals have gone away. Everyone is building a home studio now as that hobby has exploded.

Some of my buys acquired over the last 15 years:

Universal Audio LA2A - $1800, can't touch these for less than $2800 used these days.
    Universal Audio 1176 - $1000, now about $2k everywhere I look.
    Tubetech CL1B - $2495, now around $3k for a used one, if you can find it.
    Chandler TG1 - $2495, this is a $5k studio compressor new and this one was fully mod as a mastering unit taking the value up another $1k. This has a similar sound to both an Altec RS124 and, with a switch, a Fairchild 670.
    Lexicon 300, the upgraded but single engine version of a Lexicon 480, the most used studio verb out there heard on recordings over the last 30 years. $800 (these originally sold for over $3k).
    Two channels of Neve 1073s for $3k. New about $5k.
    Telefunken ElektroAkustik U47 slightly used for $5k, normally $9k. If you go for a vintage model these are up to $15k.

Those days are long gone I'm afraid but it use to be the best place to find undervalued studio gear. You can still find some great deals however but you have to get out to the stores and find the stuff that hasn't been listed on their used site yet. I came across an original Neumann U67 which was not on the website selling for $9k in one store and in pristine condition. Unfortunately, now that I'm retired, gear buying is in the rear view mirror. Now I just wish shop.

We'll have to see how this bankruptcy plays out.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep.

Some of my scores-

60’s gold sparkle tuck and roll Kustom 100 head- $25.

‘70 Telecaster. Bad humbucker route (looked like it was done with a spoon and a lot of cocaine) but otherwise original- $599

‘69 Princeton (non reverb) 100% unmolested and near mint condition- $199

MIM Standard HSS strat with G&G tweed case- $110

‘67 Gretsch Single Anni in sunburst- sales guy said the neck had come off and been glued back poorly, and it sure looked like it. But it played awesome. So I bought it. For $300. Took it home and cleaned off what turned out to be what I really think was pancake syrup spilled all around the neck joint and back of the guitar. It was perfect. All original. With original case.

These are spread out over the last fifteen years or so, and I flipped every one of them for a huge profit. The tele I played for about seven years first though... when I sold it, it had replaced tuners, pickups, all electronics, bridge, pickguard, and a refret. I still made a killing on it.

18. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If I do want something specific, GC used is where I look. I'm not into wheeling and/or dealing so GC used is a good balance of my desires to 1) get it cheaper than new and 2) not deal with unpredictable individual sellers.

Jakedog and Marc Morfei like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

On vague picture and no reply's to questions, ya gotta love it!

20. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Not just the online is great but the main reason I go to GC or sam ash is the used wall. Its a great way to try out something unusual you've heard of and if it fits to get a decent deal on it. The few things I passed on turns out I maybe shouldn't have. Also passed on good deals to others that bit. I stop off to any GC I'm ever near.
    My wife dreads it.

Dismalhead and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.