1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I discovered at what point an AC10C1 almost isn't enough

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 25, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

4-piece band, jamming in a garage, other guitarist has a really loud solid-state Fender amplifier with a digital effects unit. Bass player is playing quite loud, drummer is average volume. Was the AC10 loud enough? Yes.... BUT it was all the way up and at that point whatever sound you have crafted from your pedals does not matter anymore. The amplifier is going to sound the way that IT wants to. It's not a bad sound, but you forfeit all tone control once you have an amplifier cranked up like that. There is no "check out the subtle textures of my [insert pedal name here]". It's now take-no-prisoners mode.

lineboat likes this.
  2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I took an AC4 to a practice once because it was so tiny. After one of the songs the drummer said "That amp sounds great..... but its a little distorted. Can it go any cleaner?" My response :"Not at this volume!".

I brought the AC15 the next time..... They said it was too loud! (With Master Volume on 3 of 10)

lineboat and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  3. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I'm impressed that it got that far,love my ac15

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

Yeah, I had an AC15C1 but sold it because I was tired of lugging that thing around. The AC10C1 sounds almost the same, but I think I found it's limit.

lineboat and adamkavanagh like this.
  5. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Your band members need to learn how to control their volume better. Have them set their levels to the kick drum. I jammed with an AC15C1 and it did fine. I'm sure the AC10C1 would be no different judging by the one time I tried it in store. it was LOUD.

adamkavanagh likes this.
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use an AC15 and rehearsal volume is a little less than halfway up the dial.

7. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Save your ears and tell them to turn it down... Unless there is acoustic treatment in the garage, everybody is likely competing to hear themselves.

richey88 likes this.
  8. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Agreed on practice volume containment, but I will say I’ve had the same experience as 3CG with the AC10c1 in a band setting— push the preamp gain over noon and master volume over 2 o’clock and result effectively only gets a little bit louder, but a LOT more broken up. I think I get better results at loud volume keeping the preamp gain lower and pushing the front end with a cleanish boost pedal, such as a Timmy.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have a PV Classic 20 that I used at band rehearsals, and it was a good way to keep my drummer's and bass player's volume in check. I'd just say "I'm up all the way, so you guys need to come down".

10. 3-Chord-Genius

Bear in mind that this was really more of a drunken jam session than a rehearsal (not me - I don't drink anymore, but apparently alcohol causes hearing deficiencies...)

lineboat likes this.
  11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I love the AC10. They’re great if the rest of the guys are playing fair. If not, it’s almost not enough. I’m considering running a pair of them. I bet that would be sweet!

12. 3-Chord-Genius

I looked at my amp's controls during this session and the preamp was at 7 or 8, and the master was at 10. I started with master at 10 and preamp at around 3, using a drive pedal, but had to keep increasing the preamp to compete with the other guys. The amp was effectively dimed when all was said and done.

13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I'm dying to take my handwired AC4 (AC4HW1) to the practice space. Just to see if it can keep up (and simply to crank it for a long while). I reckon it will. It seems noticably louder than a regular AC4.

On the other hand, that would mean using my car & in Japan it's so much easier to just take the train and use the JCM that comes with the space...

Anyway, I picked up an AC10 yesterday - as in, physically. I was quite surprised at how it didn't break my back. Especially after having also just picked up an AC15. I can see why someone would want to take an AC10 to practice, etc. It's so much lighter (actually, I just looked, and, surprise surprise, an AC10 is around 1kg lighter than the AC4HW1).

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Well, the AC4W1 cabinet is made of actual plywood....

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I'd use any amp with a single 10" under those band conditions.

16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

put your amp way up high, at ear level. Stand in front of it, and enjoy your wonderful tone. Let it inspire you to new heights of creativity. Don't worry about the other guys hearing it - because THEY ARE NOT LISTENING! You are playing with a bunch of guys who aren't listening to music, and don't care. Nothing wrong with that - I have played some of my happiest performances with guys like this. They are often very enthusiastic, and love to play. But they are not hearing the music, they are hearing the joy of bashing and having fun.

On the other hand, nobody - even the best pro musician - wants to be throttled in his musical expression by a guy who refuses to accept the reality of volume, and who won't use equipment that allows him to match the group.

so between these two positions, you may well have discovered the limitations of you amp. Or of the group. It ain't always easy to say which is which. It might depend on your own skills and desires, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.