1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I discovered a world class drummer but there's one big problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 63dot, Jul 5, 2009.

1. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

He likes to play guitar and he's only mediocre or just good enough to get by even though he's played forever and a day. He owns tons of guitars and gear that he loves and keeps them in great condition.

But when he plays drums, which he hasn't been doing for too many years, it sounds like he has played professionally for decades. It doesn't hurt that Megadeth's drummer and Alice Cooper's drummer was his teacher. He could play on cardboard boxes and sound better than most drummers I know who gig a lot.

Today, after knowing him for over 16 years, I tried to tell him he has this amazing and rare talent for drums, but he just can't see it. He brushes off compliments people give to him about his drumming. He is so steady you can set a watch to it, and he knows just when to play loud and when to lay back and it's just instinctual. He drives the whole band.

But on guitar, people are always asking me why he plays too loud, too many notes, and is never in context with the song at hand.

Do you know somebody who is world class amazing at an instrument, but prefer to play something they are not that well suited for?

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

yes, my former (excellent) drummer in the Lunatic Fringe. he's doing a single act now on acoustic guitar ... i asked him how it was going and he sez, "wow, great, man — i'm learning barre chords! ... sigh.

3. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I had no idea Neil Peart switched to guitars,:lol:

4. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

my old drummer is a keyboard player in his new band..go figure....

5. robbysturgis

robbysturgis Tele-Holic

I play drums badly, but I lose concentration after a while. This might be the situation. On guitar, I don't lose concentration.

:cool:

6. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Steven Tyler -Aerosmith
    Sully the singer from Godsmack
    were both drummers before getting out front to sing

I have friend who was in marching band on percussion and went to a Big Ten school on scholarship to play. He plays guitar,keys(his mom was a piano teacher) sang in the Chorus on top of that.

I am amazed with drummers like Carter Bauford of DMB and a kid named Royster(look him up on youtube)

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Tape him playing both and ask him be honest if it was some one else playing which would you rather listen to?

8. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Frank Zappa and Phil Collins were drummers.

9. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

"I'm tired of being a wannabe musician.... I WANNA BE A MUSICIAN!"

10. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

He has awful tapes of his guitar playing and great drumming on CD. Yet he complains that he doesn't like the way he sounds on drums. I think it's almost impossible to self critique. When he plays with the band as a drummer, the song matters, but when he plays (played) as the guitarist, he is only into the solos.

If it's a punk song, then it's a Steve Vai solo, if it's a country song, then Steve Vai, if it's a ballad, then it's Steve Vai. Same volume, same speed, same attack. Sure, playing fast guitar is cool sometimes with distortion at high volumes, but not for every song. I think he enjoys speed picking and he gets a great physical workout, but the song suffers. But as a drummer, he still gets his exercise but in the context of that instrument, he can change dynamics, make it interesting and still get that rush.

Too many guitar players only feel like they are playing if they put out every scale, every trick they know in every solo and this becomes redundant.

Like the above poster said earlier, maybe that great drummer imho, gets off on playing acoustic and learning how to play a barre chord.

I believe everybody has a hidden talent that is exceptional, but I also believe most people will either never discover that talent or if they do, they won't like it that much. The good thing is that my friend is in the band as the drummer these days and we sound great. When we fool around in the studio during a break and switch instruments and he either touches a guitar or bass, then we sound like a 4th grade metal band. :)

11. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I guess I would tell him there is only one Steve Vai though I suppose that would be tough since you have known him for so long.

12. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I love that he enjoys Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, but dive bombing and two hand tapping alternating with sweep/speed picking on everything just kills the whole band. When we played our first song, the crowd was into it, but by song #2 or #3, same solo approach and we emptied out the venue. People would come up to me after the gig, or in the restroom, or call me and tell me to ditch "that" guitarist.

Being a loyal friend, and knowing we are not here to get signed, we stayed intact and that's what counts. At least now with him on drums, we create a good sound and don't make people's ears bleed. The contrast is made even more extreme because he's the best drummer I have known and the fastest learner from just banging around on it, to getting professional lessons from a famous drummer, to becoming incredibly solid and dynamic.

13. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

This reminds me of another "guitarist/songwriter" who thought it was his calling, and he had trouble with barre chords, he he, but it gave him pleasure.

As a poet and prose writer, he won numerous national awards and was called the best American poet since the beat generation by Harvard University. Because he made himself a big splash in literature, he then thought he could attack guitar and songwriting and be just as good. It kind of reminds me of when Michael Jordan tried to switch to baseball, good enough for government work but not good enough for major league baseball.

Too many times what God gave us as a gift is something we just don't like very much.

14. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

YES! one of my buds is a carter beauford clone on drums, but insists on doing the acoustic guitar, singer songwriter thing. he's a good guitarist, and decent singer. I keep on telling him to play drums to open doors for his songwriting stuff, but he wont listen. too bad...

15. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

2 words: Phil Collins. Love his drumming. His singing not so much. Still, the guy is making piles of money.
    -Mr. N.

16. Ptrallan01

Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

Our Bass Player

is our best drummer. We had a guy who was a jazz drummer for a while who was the most musical drummer I've ever heard and a great drum teacher but he was always too loud. To the point I had to wear ear plugs to play with him. Our bass player on the other hand isn't quite as musical but is close, has beautiful dymanics and can emphasize the emotion of the songs through the drums in a way that few people can. When we had three other bass players he played drums and we are still trying to find someone who can duplicate certain things he did without success.

You're friend may not want to play drums because they may make him realize how "unusual" he is. I have a theory that moving all 4 appendages to make music requires a type of brain function that would normally be called insane. Most of the best drummers I have heard share a certain "otherness" that defies description.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've never seen Frank Zappa and Phil Collins in the same sentence before.

I feel ill. :eek:

+++

Anyway, 63 Dot's issue is the fault of all guitar players, in a way. There is nothing wrong with drums played well. I stand by my longtime statement, that the best musician I ever played with on a continuous basis was a drummer. You heard me.

18. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I have the opposite problem. I play the guitar in a band where our drummer is a better guitarist than I am by a narrow, but significant margin.

We were put together from names pulled from a hat, and nobody was a drummer. Matto said he could keep time, so that was that. The rest of us are horrible.

So yeah. We bury our talent as deeply as possible.

On the upside, the competition that we were formed for was more than a year ago, we won, and we're the only band still playing, albeit rarely now that our multitalented drummer has moved to Buffalo (NY, 5-6 hours away).

19. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

I've heard Chester Thompson mention them in the same sentence.:D

This thread reminds me of a guy I knew in college. Great jazz drummer, but was intent on being a musical genius at everything, guitar, bass, keys, you name it. Finally a professor said to him, "Paul, why don't you stick with the drums. You know, something you can actually play."
    The rest of us just broke up laughing, and the look on Paul's face was just heartbreaking. But he took the prof seriously, doubled down on the drums and is really a fantastic drummer with a solid professional career.

20. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

James Brown was a drummer too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.