I dinged my new guitar. What to do

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Man @CaineIsCarter - I really hope you read and internalize this one. Yer gonna make it worse. Trust us. It will be way more noticeable after the repair. But then it won't be an accident. @Ronkirn knows his stuff. If you're gonna try anything, try the method he laid out. But better not to try anything and to learn to adjust your action with the guitar in a playing position.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    CaineIsCarter and RadioFM74 like this.
  2. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Shrug your shoulders and keep playing.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  3. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

I bought a brand new 65' reissue jazzmaster and a mastery bridge. Dropped a screwdriver on it setting up the mastery. I never played one note on the guitar before putting the ding in it. I also bought a brand new Fender Custom Shop. First month of owning it, set it up against the couch, hit a brass brad on the couch -- ding. I have dinged just about every guitar I have within a month or two of playing it. It just goes with the act of using your tools. Don't take is personal and keep playing on. I keep waiting for my nito finish k-line to show play wear, it does already have buckle rash. Play enjoy and repeat.

4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

How did you know you needed the Mastery bridge without playing the guitar?

hellopike likes this.
  6. solarpanelasses

solarpanelasses TDPRI Member

Let it live and breath and play it every day until it looks like it was played by sonic youth[​IMG]

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

You bought it to play music on it, so enjoy your first ding and work hard to put many more !

CaineIsCarter and RadioFM74 like this.
  8. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Just consider it a good excuse to buy a new guitar. You need a backup or two in case you scratch your primary one.

9. rober

rober TDPRI Member

A guitar is nothing more than a tool, and like any tool, it gets worn as it gets used. Dings, dents and scratches do not affect its intended purpose.

Much like the lines on my face, every ones been earned and they are evidence of my journey, both good and not so good.

image.jpeg

As long as your not doing an 'El Kabong' with it, just carry on.

On a side note, the fact that I watched the above cartoon as a kid reminds me just how old I am!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    DanDII and CaineIsCarter like this.
  10. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

This is Willie Nelson's guitar.. He bought it brand new in or around 1969.

Trigger-Willie_Nelson.jpg

11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

+1 for adds character.

Skydog1010 and CaineIsCarter like this.
  12. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Some excellent replies. Thanks a lot. I went downstairs this morning and looked again at the ding, and re-read the thread, and I’ve cancelled my order of the touch-up paint. I’ll leave it alone. I wish I’d done it beating off groupies at Wembley stadium rather than dropping my screwdriver on it, but still.

Some of you have expressed incredulity at my reaction to the hole I put in my guitar. That’s entirely fair, since I came on here specifically to seek opinions, but remember we don’t all view the world through the same eyes. I think I’ve gained a bit of perspective.

Thanks to everyone.

NewKid, Asmith, telemnemonics and 2 others like this.
  13. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I also find that after you take off the kids gloves and stop stressing about scratches and dings, the more you'll enjoy playing your guitar. You did buy it to play and not hang on a wall, right?

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I think it’s a good decision. Enjoy and play your guitar in good health. There's still time put another ding in it by beating off groupies BTW ;)

As for the few unnecessarily condescending/harsh replies you got, I was sorry to read them but I guess it comes in the package of a generally good-natured thread.

All best to you! And again HNGD: you got yourself a magnificent electric guitar!

ArcticWhite and CaineIsCarter like this.
  15. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

A
    Absolutely. Thank you for your very kind words.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I notice this sort of trend on every kind of forum to which I post.

Guy posts a problem. Bona fide expert (Ron Kirn, in this case) chimes in with a measured and competent reply. OP decides, hey, thanks, and you’re a world-renowned expert, and you know MUCH more than I do, but y’know what? I’m just going to ignore that perfect advice [which, again, I explicitly asked for] and do my own ill-considered thing. It'll work out! Amirite?

I thought this thread was going the same way.

Kudos, OP, for bucking the trend. Enjoy your beautiful Tele. I’m in the camp that wouldn’t even care about that “ding,” but everyone’s different. I’m just glad you’re wisely not going to turn a small problem into a big one. Well done.

17. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Without doubt, by doing nothing you have made the correct decision.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  18. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS TDPRI Member

19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

recently bought a road worn - it turned out to be a one in million guitars in the way it played, felt and sounded. Wore a bunch of bracelets and a bangle on right arm. Gone through two sets of strings since it arrived last week or the week before (lost track) - I will never change anything on this guitar except strings unless something "breaks", just saying have spent a couple hundred hours on this guitar and it's made of an extremely light and soft wood with lacquer that was NOT fully dried when it arrived (still VOC'ing off it's lacquer compounds), even though this makes the neck a tad sticky I can't keep my hands off of it.

my point is if you intend on playing this guitar - leave it be - as soon as you fix this tiny ding another will appear. I an reluctant to post a photo of a road worn Strat in your thread but will be happy to do so if asked.

leave it alone. the fix will be worse than the ding.

20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

[/QUOTE]

rolling on floor laughing!

so is mine and I will never part with it.
    just had to post my picture. Black road worn strat - IMG_20190715_102013.jpg

jonzer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.