I dinged my new guitar. What to do

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Jul 14, 2019.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Once again I’m dumbstruck by the breadth of knowledge available on this site.

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

All part of the adventure. If you're going to go ahead with dropping a tiny bit of color, then the recommendation is to practice on scrap and see how small a drop you can make with a toothpick. Always practice on scrap before applying paint to the guitar.
    Good luck!

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

That is a very small ding on your AO 60s Tele.

I hammered my new Tele into the foot of my sleigh bed and it has a one inch “smile” next to the input jack that I filled with super glue to seal it.

My first thought after that accident was, ‘It’s mine now.’

You still have a wonderful instrument. Enjoy it!

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

This is excellent advice. It's not as easy to use the toothpick method as it seems. I used a Reranch Pen (works like a Marker) but I practiced because it's easy to apply excess paint. I did accidentally apply too much touch up and had no choice but to go all in, suck it up and use a razor blade and very small strips of sanding paper to make it work. You can't wick away excess paint. Practice with as many trial runs as necessary before committing.

5. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mr. OP,

I was in your position with my LPB AV 64 (1 of 500). One day I noticed a small chip on the upper top edge of the body. I had been extremely careful when handling it. Probably happened when putting it in the case.

I put it in the closet for a while and played others. But it’s too nice of a guitar (wonderful, actually) not to play. I haven’t forgotten about the chip, but I don’t let it interfere with the enjoyment the guitar brings me. I hope I live long enough to put some honest play wear on it.

My recommendation, wait at least a month or two before attempting any remedy because unless your are very talented, you will be sorry.

Your imaginary friend,
    Slim Chance

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    CaineIsCarter and RadioFM74 like this.
  6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

If you're going to repair it, do it the right way instead of a half-hacked cover up, otherwise why bother?!

Picton and MilwMark like this.
  7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

since it quit working, trash it. oh, it still works? play it!

play music!

8. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Because I consider the application of a tiny bit of paint to be within my capabilities, and I think it will do enough to satisfy my desire to cover up the bright spot in the ding. Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

9. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Like my wife said last night, "That's it?!?".

Frodebro and CaineIsCarter like this.
  10. TwangerWannabe

Would be great if you would post before and after pics of the repair.

11. CaineIsCarter

That made me laugh :)

Yes, that’s it. Try and understand that amongst the seven guitars I own, this one is the only one to be so afflicted.

I don’t mind that some people feel differently to me about this. I am interested in the responses though.

12. CaineIsCarter

You’ve seen the before. I’ll be happy to post an after pic.

13. TwangerWannabe

k, so I never scrolled through he thread until just now and JUST see the picture. All I can say is if that "mark" (I wouldnt even call it a ding) caused you that much distress to react and then post a thread about it, I'd hate to be around when your guitar got a real, honest to goodness ding or dent. You need professional help, sir.

14. CaineIsCarter

That’s just an unfriendly, rather spiteful response that I don’t think is warranted. Goodnight to you, sir.

Tywashere, NewKid and burntfrijoles like this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try to remember your first ding. ;)

16. TwangerWannabe

Dings don't bother me. I also own guitars that have suffered broken necks and repairs. Doesn't bother me. I buy my guitars to be played. I think a lot of people worry about the dings because they are worried about resale value. I personally never worry about that and just enjoy them and play them. Dents and dings are a potential and expected result. It would be a shame to own a guitar I was so afraid of dinging that I had to alter how I played it, or not even play it at all.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I get it and pretty much share your thoughts on it, but there are an awful lot of people that aren't wired the same way that we are about it. It's neither right nor wrong.

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's terrible!! Punishing a new guitar, you beast! What now, kick your cat??
    Just send her to me, and I'll make her like New!! Like my New Guitar that is!

19. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Look on the bright side, if it were a Les Paul the headstock would have broke clean off. :twisted:

20. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

That's a ding? We each feel differently about these things. I can't make you not worry about it and appreciate it.
    In 2003, I bought my very first American Telecaster. The very next night, my little sister let the lid of the case slip on it and it put two really good dings through the finish along the edge of the guitar. I didn't cry or get upset. I shrugged it off and kept on playing. I'm still playing it. Those dings are still there along with a few more that have accumulated over the years.

Play your guitar. Don't obsess over it. The ding is a part of it's history as YOUR guitar.

CaineIsCarter and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.