I dinged my new guitar. What to do

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Jul 14, 2019.

1. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

I chipped one recently. At first I was like (censored) but a few days later I was like (censored)(censored)(censored). Its bugging me.

CaineIsCarter and bloomz like this.
  2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

That one doesn't look all that bad and as the old song goes, "It only hurts for a little while". In a month or so your grief will pass and you won't even notice it anymore. Or if you're as OCD as I am you can always put an inlay sticker boo-boo band aid over it like I did here with my Tele.

[​IMG]

And here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I think, instead of being sad about that ding, You should be incredibly thankful your vision is good enough to see it.

Silver linings

4. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's called the first scratch syndrome. I had a buddy who so loathed the fear of the first ding that upon bringing a new car home he'd immediately take out his key and find a nice unobtrusive spot somewhere near the rear right wheel well and place a light scratch himself just to relieve the anxiety.

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Ay, dios mio, hombre! Hold on, while I grab my electron microscope to see this cavernous ding with my own eyes! :eek:

Here's my solution: Don't LOOK at it! :rolleyes:

MilwMark likes this.
  6. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Weerrrrrlll shaaaat...end of der world....keep plinking away...noooe wworrriessh...

MilwMark likes this.
  7. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies. I like the common theme of just letting it go, and perhaps a being more enlightened than I would do so.

But I’m going to try the spot repair.

Also, I’d argue that to work in a soup kitchen (or any other virtue-signalling endeavour of your choosing) and to be upset over the hole you just put in your expensive new guitar are not mutually exclusive.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

This is not going to be very satisfying, but I agree with everyone who says just live with it. You might say, "Well, that's easy for you to say because you didn't ding a brand new guitar."

I sent a body to MJT Tele for refinishing. They asked, "What level wear do you want?" I said, "Brand new. I want it to look like it just came off the assembly line."

I couldn't wait to get it back. When it arrived, I used to just sit and stare at it. After about a month, I accidentally dinged the crap out of it. Knocked the paint right off. I was pissed for a while but have gotten over it. There's worse things in life.

hellopike, MilwMark and CaineIsCarter like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You’ve got nothing to explain or need to justify your decision. You’ve received input, considered the risk versus benefit.
    I understand. There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep your new prized axe in mint condition. It’s a pride of ownership issue.
    I try to keep my guitars in mint condition but i don’t gig so it’s much easier although accidents happen. If I did gig, I would have different expectations.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  10. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I dinged up my brand new hammer earlier today. After I stopped crying I scoured the web for solutions to bring it back to it's original, pristine condition.

Should I just leave it alone?

Obviously you already know what I would do if it was my guitar....just leave it alone and suck it up. But if you insist on having it repaired and don't know what you're doing, leave it to the pros. Otherwise a repair done by an amateur can end up possibly looking worse than if you just lived with it, kind of like someone covering up a bad tattoo...with an even bigger bad tattoo.

MilwMark and CaineIsCarter like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like John Mayer threads and relic threads I think these should be banned.

And it’s usually some guitar that has a shiny poly candy coating on it .

Or at the very least add a sub forum for people that have never bought a new guitar in their life , though they own 38 guitars...:lol:

bcorig and Picton like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I feel your pain, but I've learned from my first ding syndromes that these instruments are tools and once you put a ding into it, the tool emerges in completion. Congrats, enjoy and play the snot out of your new guitar.

13. CaineIsCarter

Thanks for the reply. I think your hammer analogy holds as much water as a shopping basket, but I appreciate the sentiment.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I’m not going to set about my new guitar with sandpaper, bladed articles or irons.

I’m going to apply a fleetingly small spot of Lake Placid Blue touch-up paint with a toothpick. I’m not expecting anything other than a reduction in the visibility of the exposed bright spot in the ding. This seems like a sensible, minimalist approach that’s very unlikely to make things even worse.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This happened on a small stage over 20 years ago (next to low E tuner). It's the only vivid memory I have of that particular gig, and now it's like a well-loved photograph of a great time in my life.
    IMG_1081.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Er, Yeah, that's the ticket. My guitar is FLAWLESS.... just ask my wife, Morgan Fairchild...

To the OP, yeah it really sucks at first but over time it will just add to the character factor....

16. CaineIsCarter

To you gigging guys - I completely get why scratches and dings picked up along the way might add to the story of your guitar.

I am simply a home player and small-scale collector. If I kept a picture of this ding, it would serve only to remind me of the day after I got the guitar when I dropped the screwdriver on it as I was setting the action on the sofa in my underpants. It’s not the same.

whoanelly15, AAT65 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I quit gigging in the late 90s, so all of my recent dings are similar stories to yours. I think the prior experiences did a great deal to help with my coping skills, though.

18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I dropped the receiver (remember those?) on the face of my USA Stratocaster while talking to my girlfriend when I was 16. It left a ding a bit larger than a peppercorn... it took awhile to not see it. ;)

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Coping skills.

Exactly.

They need to start selling those axe sacks again. Or padded screwdrivers - one of the two…

MilwMark likes this.
  20. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

I have attempted a few spot repairs. It always ends up looking worse, no matter how careful I am.

A ding is simply a ding until an amateur turns it into an ugly repair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.