I dinged my new guitar. What to do

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Jul 14, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Its the new car first scratch syndrome. I know how you feel. My acoustic, I want that thing to be babied. Teles I think of more like jeeps or tractors... The more they wear, the nicer they look.

El Tele Lobo and CaineIsCarter like this.
  2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

That's a brilliant idea! Personally, i don't care about dings, but if I did that would be the way to go. Actually, I'd probably get my nails done in LPB while I was there too.

3. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Is that it? I wouldn't worry.
    If it really bothers you, put some masking tape over it with VOL & TONE on it.

AAT65, AlbertaGriff, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

OK that's a metallic finish.. but it appears as though the ding didn't disturb the color coat... wet it lightly with naphtha or mineral spirits to get an idea how it will look with just a drop fill of a clear finish.. if it looks good.... the use StewMac's instructional video on drop filling... just use a clear CA.. and the industrial razor blade scraper .... a light wet sanding and a polish.. it should be damn near invisible..

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Secrets/Fixing_a_small_chip_in_your_guitars_finish.html

If the naphtha reveals that clear only will do the trick. skip the drop of dye Dan suggests in the video..

rk

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It now has a rare "light relic" finish and is worth $250 more.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You got lucky; that's nothing. Just look away and forget about it. The first or second time you gig, you'll likely get something like that or worse. And unless you know what you're doing, any repair attempts are very likely to leave it looking worse than if you had just ignored it. 10 years of gigging the thing, and you'll have a natural "relic." Hell, my 2013 AV Jazz Bass got dinged a couple times within the first few gigs, and my AV Precision is even more beat after just a year of gigging sporadically with it. It's the reason we love nitro, right? Because it ages beautifully?

NewKid and CaineIsCarter like this.
  7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, and if you chip a nail, you can go to a luthier and...er, wait...o_O

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

It’s absolutely nothing. I would let it be. No-one will notice, nor will you in a few days’ time. Whereas a f*cked-up patch-up can really ruin that nice top.

At the very least do this: STRICTLY NOTHING for a month. Not a day less. If in a month’s time you’re still bummed, go to the nail bar.

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

You can pull the dent out by using a damp paper towel placed over it & applying heat with an iron. After that, then you can have the finish repaired. Another option is to use wool filler, and then have the finish repaired. Option 3 is to name the ding "Number One" and go on with life as if nothing ever happened.
    I feel your pain because I dropped a raw body & had to repair the dent before I painted it. Sorry it happened to you. I hate the emotion it brings.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That doesn't really look that significant.
    I have repaired chips in two guitars using the "drop fill" method in a Dan Erlewine youtube video. The first (Sonic Blue) worked perfectly but the second, while not a complete failure, was not as good and noticeable.
    I used Reranch for the Sonic Blue repair (before after pics below) which came out great but it was more difficult with a white blonde. It takes a leap of faith the repair a chip if you're an amateur like me. I strongly suggest you look up the Erlewine video. The scariest part was the sanding and the hand buffing with the finishing compound (from StewMac). Mine was a small ding and the real reason I repaired it was to minimize the chip from spreading. Their were finish cracks in addition to the main ding. fullsizeoutput_26d.jpeg IMG_0642.JPG

11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of many

Fretting out and CaineIsCarter like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only new guitar I ever bought and decided to keep mint in its case incase it became collectable provided I didn't decide to use it when I had worn my strats frets out was a squier 60th anniversary gold 50's strat. I set it up and wrapped it in a blanket for storage. The first time I pulled it out I bumped the top and put a scratch in the clear coat. :rolleyes:

I gave up on trying to keep guitars in mint condition at that moment. I hate having to baby a guitar, takes the fun out of playing and owning it imo.

13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Leave it alone

14. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

What Ronkirn said.

I would repair it if it were mine, I like mine to look brand-spanking new as long as possible.

DonM, bloomz and CaineIsCarter like this.
  15. Ronkirn

OH hell NO!! .. never apply the steam procedure over a painted finish.... unless you know what you're doing... then be unmercifully careful..

the idea of the steam is for use on UNFINISHED lumber with a compression ding... and NO surrounding finish... the steam, constrained by the iron, is forced into the wood's fibers causing them to expand.. causing the ding and surrounding wood to swell.. it can then be sanded level once it dries..

For the Steam trick to work, the woods fibers cannot be broken by whatever dinged it... if they are, the wood will still swell.. but the broken fibers will still be visible and require additional work to repair.. and it will always be visible if the finish is a transparent type.

Do that to a painted surface and the steam gets driven onto the wood (if the heat doesn't melt the paint first) .. it is also driven up under the surrounding paint where it causes everything to swell.. the results are uglier 'n the fat lady fashion d'jour at Walmart... and the subtle ding you're trying to repair becomes about as subtle as a fart in church...

rk

Skydog1010, DonM, mr newhaven and 7 others like this.
  16. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

I’ve ordered a small pot of touch up and will try a single drop in the ding. There’s just no way I’m getting into the realm of sandpaper and razor blades. I figure a drop of LPB paint is a reasonable step, like the nail varnish suggestion. I don’t think it’ll make it any worse.

I do realise I’m being very precious about it, but it’s brand new, I’m a home player and all my other guitars are ding-free. I wish I felt otherwise about it.

FWIW, I think those of you telling me to forget about it are right. By the time the paint arrives, I might have abandoned the idea.

FloInPA and Telecaster88 like this.
  17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

you got the worst one out of the way.

don't bother with touch up, you will get more.

PLAY ON!

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy some micromesh pads and sand it back to a level high gloss once you have drop filed it. It will look better than just dropping the paint on. I would keep the area very small though because sanding a metallic is not a good idea but it's unavoidable unless you can drop the paint in and drop clear on top giving enough thickness to level but not sand through.

19. Ronkirn

did you order the colored touch-up? IF so STOP!! You're about to screw up. . .

do what I said.... apply a little naphtha, aka lighter fluid, or mineral spirits.... it's clear, wet, and evaporates 100% .... it will show you what it will look like with a drop fill of clear lacquer, fingernail polish, CA glue... etc.. of the 3, CA will be best... IF the Naphtha reveals that the ding will still be OBJECTIONABLY noticeable... then... apply the color in the most sparse manner you can...

apply the residue after removing a drop from a toothpick.. just the paint that would remain if you pick up a dtrop of the tough-up paint.. then remove about all of it from the toothpick.. now, touch the toothpick to the ding.. it's all you need... you DO NOT want the color to fill the ding... That will leave a very noticeable scar, more objectionable than it ya just did nothing...

were it me and the subsurface were visible throughout the Naphtha... I'd touch it with a felt tip marker, blue, to match it, then a drop of CA.... you will NEVER repair it to a point where it's 100% invisible... NEVER.. the harder you try to make it invisible, the bigger the scar gets.... read that again....

and tip .. if you don't know what you're doing... don't do it... at all, that speck isn't anything worth ruining the surface for..

r

Picton, MilwMark, bloomz and 2 others like this.
  20. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

The colour has gone. It might not be clear in that pic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.