1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I dig psychedelic guitar!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jellyroll, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

Hendrix
    The Misunderstood
    Barrett era Floyd
    Electric Prunes
    that monster from Big Brother
    Beck era Yardbirds
    Poison Ivy of the Cramps
    Sonic Youth
    Butthole Surfers
    later Byrds
    yes even the Velvet Underground though I imagine they would disagree with me on this!
    For me Jerry Garcia doesn't make the cut, just don't find that band even remotely psychedelic and I tried over and over for years with an open mind (yes chemically speaking as well) and it just sounds like passionless noodling to me. Sorry to all the fans. Anyhow, who are some of your favorite noisy psychedelic monster guitarists?

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

listen to Phil Manzanera (ex-Roxy Music) IMO, one of the best psychedelic players ever !!!

3. celtobilly

celtobilly Tele-Meister

John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service was terrific.

4. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

Jerry Garcia!

5. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

You rascal, you!:rolleyes:

rangercaster, love Roxy Music and will check phil out! Also love Quicksilver....keep em comin!

6. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

O.K., here ya go..........

David O'List [with The Nice and The Attack]
    Bryn Haworth [ Fleur de Lys]
    Eddie Phillips [The Creation]
    Alan Jackson ["Hurdy Gurdy Man"]
    John du Cann [Andromeda]
    Phil Sawyer [Fleur de Lys and Spencer Davis Group]

7. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Oh yeah, Davey O'List did some great work on some early Bryan Ferry solo albums ["In Crowd" etc...]

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

psychedelic furs

9. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I'd like to nominate Ron Ashton of The Stooges. He may not be what springs to mind when you think "psychedelic guitar" but he did play the guitar without rules, and influenced as many guitarists as Garcia in my estimation.

10. KCLefty

KCLefty Tele-Meister

Jorma Kaukonen - Jefferson Airplane

11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

George Harrison , Brian Jones , Mars Bonfire .

12. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

+1! Also Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer and Erik Brann of Iron Butterfly.

13. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Jan Savage [Seeds].

14. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

I'm a Cramps fanatic, but "psychedelic" isn't one of the top adjectives I would use to describe her style.

Her playing is mostly part rockabilly, part blues, part '50s rock & roll, part surf and part early (Sonics era) garage rock. It's edgy, wild, raw and primitive (stylistically, not technically). She and Rick Miller are the closest living "links" to Link Wray.

To me mainline "psychedelic" is Syd Barrett, Electric Prunes, Jefferson Airplane, and any band that over-used a wah in the late '60s, and I find that all a bit arty and wimpy.

I never thought the term "psychobilly" (which she disavows anyway) was derived from "psychedelic" as much as "psycho".

Maybe I'm splittin' hairs here ...

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Jeff Beck

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely !

Very psychedelic and he played exactly the same on their comeback as he did 35 years before.

Also check out the criminally underrated 13th Floor Elevators.

The 1st psychedelic band .

They came to San Fran on an early tour and changed that city and its music forever.

17. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

voodoo idol, agree and disagree. psychedelic as an original innovation and style vs. psychedelic as a purposeful or random technique which challenges the senses as well as the status quo of playing. Poison Ivy certainly had the latter, even if Bryan Gregory or "kid" Congo Powers played a lot of the more traditionally psyche or fuzzed out parts in The Cramps material. I am far more interested in psychedelic as a philosophy of breaking rules, playing outside the box, and even just making noise for fun. That's why bands like VU, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Stooges (thanks Ben Harmless), Psychedelic Furs, and many other bands still apply IMO. The Cramps were a VERY psychedelic band, even if many of there influences weren't. Great responses so far! I bet there are tons more....here's one with no guitarist at all, The United States of America. And still another....Can.

18. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Dig psychedelic guitar sounds? Check out the backwards guitar solo on this British classic by Tintern Abbey:

19. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

I see where you're coming from, but I don't hear Ivy's playing as random at all. She plays in different genres, even blending genres (i.e. rockabilly in a go-go style), but still it seems to me her chord progressions and solos almost always take a logical path.

That being said, I can think of some early Cramps songs more to your point - Beautiful Gardens, Caveman, Can't Find My Mind, TV Set, Garbageman, Mystery Plane - but those are mostly because Bryan Gregory didn't know how to play his guitar! It didn't matter, because his fuzzed-out noodlings sounded glorious anyway. Interestingly, if you listen to the earliest demos (when Bryan was learning how to hold the guitar), and any of their albums after 'Smell of Female' (with Ivy as the only guitar), their sound is much more true to their historic influences.

Sonic Youth and the Butthole Surfers are pretty random in the sense people on this thread are using the term, but there's a distinct label for that genre - 'Noise Rock'.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2925

My personal favorite in that area is Scratch Acid. I was luck enough to catch them live in Long Beach in 1987, opening for Jane's Addiction and Peter Murphy. Their 'Greatest Gift' CD is awesome.

Anyway, always nice to talk Cramps. On with the thread.

20. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

Voodoo Idol, how 'bout birdfeed from rocknandreelininaucklandnewzealandxxx, she gets pretty wild on that sucker! All points taken and understood, to me however, psychedelic can just be the way you set your amp that day. The intro to "Teenage Werewolf" leaps to mind, or that first chord on "Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk". I agree 100 percent with you on one thing, it is indeed always nice to talk some Cramps!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.