I died a little inside today.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
That guy is 100% correct...for his own taste in music.

Many people love Brussels sprouts. Not me. They are little green bags of poison! Does that make my opinion "wrong?" I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it because the more Brussels sprouts you guys eat, the less of 'em there will be in the universe :)

my brotha from another mother! preach, brother, preach!

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
no-man-naw-man.gif

Please help me as I am going bonkers. I know this is from a movie. It's gotta be. And I've seen it within the last year but I'm racking my brain but coming up with nothing.

THX1123

Tele-Holic
I can understand how you felt. So many people are unable to separate what they like from what has quality or value. I've ranted enough about why relying on subjectivity as an argument is is often a reflection of a lazy inability to be self-reflective enough to actually justify an opinion to others.

That said, even if someone likes Kokomo more than Pet Sounds they should be able to concede that Kokomo is a crayon drawing compared to Pet Sounds.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Talking to a buddy at work about The Beach Boys. And another guy stated that Pet Sounds was the worst album they put out.

Im hoping he just didn’t know and trying to be funny.
We live in America.....where EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion and free speech for all.
Even when they're absolutely and positively WRONG!!!!!! ;)

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Please help me as I am going bonkers. I know this is from a movie. It's gotta be. And I've seen it within the last year but I'm racking my brain but coming up with nothing.
Diedrich Bader in Office Space. It's after he's asked if anyone ever says "sounds like a case of the Mondays" on his construction site. :D

Edit: Oops, frodebro beat me

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
To me Pet Sounds sounds ridiculous, laughable, awful, pretentious, stupid. I'd pay good money not to hear it.

Which is beside the point.

The point is that we should actually listen to the so-called great works and make our own minds up.

A lot of these classics deserve to be challenged.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
To me Pet Sounds sounds ridiculous, laughable, awful, pretentious, stupid. I'd pay good money not to hear it.

Which is beside the point.

The point is that we should actually listen to the so-called great works and make our own minds up.

A lot of these classics deserve to be challenged.

It also impressed Paul McCartney so much that it inspired Sgt. Pepper.

musicalmartin

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife judges music by how good looking the singer is .While watching a TV show on Roy Orbison she came out with "I didnt realize he was so good when I was a teenager .He just didnt look like a pop star " doh ..............she did have other a tributes, such as her hot legs in a short miniskirt , which probably makes me as shallow as hercome to think of it .
The only guitarist my daughter knows is John Mayer so I expect she is just like her mum .
Pet Sounds is a great record.My wife hates it .

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
If you're talking about Top 40 Radio classic Beach Boys hits, then he's not wrong...he just doesn't have an appreciation for Brian Wilson's maturing songwriting

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I have always preferred 'Satanic Majesties', to 'Sergeant Peppers'.
Taste arbiters could sue me- but I haven't got much money.

Having a canon of art, which is 'agreed' to be great, is from the same mindset, as the execrable R'n'R Hall of Fame. Lovely, for folks who like to make lists- but otherwise worthless.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think another album would have pleased the suits at Capitol, more than Pet Sounds. For folks who were hoping that The Beach Boys would stay stuck in 1964, I'm sure this album was not welcome news for them. But in another way, if Brian was going to pivot, he should've gone for a "heavier" sound and not one that was maybe over the heads of a lot of their fans.

I think Pet Sounds is just right. For me, and for the kinds of people I tend to spend time around.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Some peoples children. I would’ve slapped him. I’m glad to hear you’re back at work. I’m assuming you’re still pretty gimped up. I hope you’re healing well man.