I DID SOMETHING WEIRD... I BOUGHT A GIBSON

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Telecaster88, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 TDPRI Member

[Posted this over at Strat-Talk too, but thought I'd share it here as well....]

- - -

I've never had much interest in humbucking guitars. Always played Fender single coils and loved 'em -- they sound like "my music." But last year when I was looking for an American Pro Strat, the only one I tried that I really bonded with was an HSS... I went back and forth on it, but ultimately realized I wasn't into that kind of guitar and found a wonderful SSS Am Std from 1988 that feels just right. Case closed...

Until a few months ago... I was at the home of a guitar playing friend and he pulled out his SG for my to try. It was so playable and nice, and plugged in was very sweet with just a hint of edge to it -- and I started thinking, "This is something I could put to use" and started thinking again about humbuckers.

So when Fender announced the Vintera Line I started getting the hots for some of their Tele Deluxe/Custom models and looked forward to checking them out. Meanwhile, I found a used "Bankruptcy Special" 2018 SG for cheap at my local GC. I played it, ostensibly to check out an amp, and it had a lot of soul.

Still I couldn't see myself buying a Gibson, and when I realized Fender had put out an Am Pro Tele Deluxe I was excited to check them out and maybe keep things in the family. I found a good deal on a used one, but when I played it it was listless, felt really tight, and just not my thing. The next day I checked my GC and the SG was still there...

So...

rotated sg.jpg

I'm still kind of freaking out over this guitar. It felt SUPER WEIRD to buy a Gibson. Almost wrong. When I brought it home I had the knobs all the way up and it was wild, overtones from the open strings rolling around, and hot noise. Definitely not single coily.

I brought it into my shop to have them take a look at it since I have 45 days to return it. The intonation needs adjusting, but he found nothing flawed about it. He lowered the pickups to back them off the strings a little, and that helped a lot. I was getting a lot of pick noise, so I switched to a heavier pick, and that helped too. Then my friend, whose SG I originally played, suggested I roll back the volume knobs to 6 or so, and once I did, wow, this thing started to sound GREAT! It's a whole new thing.

Anyhow, I'm still conflicted. But this is one gorgeous guitar. I think I'm gonna keep her.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Nice, congratulations.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Telecaster88 and drf64 like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Well it looks awful durn nice to me! Love the mini-humbuckers in there. I hope you enjoy it!

billgwx and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Looks like a Strat to me.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

sometimes bad things happen to good people. it doesn't mean your bad. it will get better.

2 Headed Goat and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

SG's are my mains ..always..congrats !!

studio1087 and Telecaster88 like this.
  8. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Don’t forget to play Authentic!

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

SG's are awesome
    HNGD!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't be afraid of a nice sounding guitar just because of the name on the headstock. Congrats on the SG. The single guitar that I traded off and still regret 35 years later (it was a '61).

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Very nice. The SG is the best Gibson electric for the money.

Matthias and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you got a great guitar. Leo Fender wasn't the only guy around with cool ideas for guitars, you know.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned 5 Gibsons. They spanned the range from terrible (1982 Les Paul Custom) to awesome (1992 Les Paul Standard).

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Someone on here used to have a GB avatar. Quirky movie. I liked it.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Gibson got 3 things right: Archtops, semi-hollows, and the SG. I find nothing else even tempting, you chose one of the good things.

drlucky and Telecaster88 like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Weirdo..., you said it..:lol:

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I feel your pain! I just bought a 2019 Les Paul Junior. Wow, what a great guitar. Way outnumbered by the Fenders. Just sayin.
    BTW, congrats on acquisition of a beautiful guitar. Looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I’ve always said if I could only have 2 guitars it would be a SG and a Tele! Congrats.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

If it makes you feel any better, Telecaster88, I bought an EPIPHONE LP. One that some California kid had doctored up to be as much like Neil Young's old bomber as possible.

And I love love love it. Everything about it, including that it sure CAN twang up the rafters, all it wants.

For that matter, I love my Jazzmaster, and just about every other kind of guitar except shred machines, Ovations, etc. I may show my Getting Old chops by yelling at passing clouds that pause too long over my lawn and quintuple how far I walked to school in my nagging tales at my kids, but I never thought I'd become so ecumenical when it comes to types of guitars.

Dance with whatever moves ya, and congrats!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

A SG with Firebird hummers - what's not to like? Angus been Rockin em 55 years....

studio1087 and Telecaster88 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.