1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I did something crazy

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by EdgarHF, Sep 21, 2020.

1. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

UPS tracking says the guitar should arrive tomorrow. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.:lol:

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ah, the Ole Brown Truck......:)

EdgarHF likes this.
  3. jeffmal

jeffmal NEW MEMBER!

Parkway Music was my local guitar shop growing up. Fantastic place and awesome guys! Looks like a great guitar too!

EdgarHF likes this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I would have to agree with you OP; that is crazy. As long as you like it, that's what counts.

The last time I blew that much scratch on a fiddle it had both a Honduran Mahogany body back & neck, a 5A Maple top, and a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. I think I did pretty fair. :D

EdgarHF likes this.
  5. Gurmanator

Gurmanator TDPRI Member

Lots of percs to having an HB in the neck. The only thing you will loose is the low power stock neck sound which is one of the most versatile pickups ever for interacting with an amp and pedals too. I assume the bucker and bridge are wound so the volume is even enough between them. Golden, your good to go. Now that 7.5” radius is another matter for me : )

EdgarHF likes this.
  6. Gurmanator

Gurmanator TDPRI Member

EdgarHF likes this.
  7. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

The only crazy thing was waiting this long... congrats on the acquisition.

EdgarHF likes this.
  8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Awesome looking Tele. I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks!

EdgarHF likes this.
  9. EdgarHF

To my ears, the tele sounds like one of those 70s Les Paul deluxes when on the neck pickup alone. The center position is balanced volume-wise, I would describe the sound as quacky. Bridge just sounds like a traditional hot Tele bridge pickup.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have yet to play a Custom Shop guitar that I didn't like. I am "not" a fan of relicing, but I do like work done to the back heel of the neck to make it play better. Fender puts out a model for every price point. It is not the Fender of Leo's days, but it can put a guitar in the hands of every level and or affordability of aspiring musicians. Having said this, Custom Shop quality is past my affordability so I build my own now. I am not saying mine are as good, but I can put them together at a reasonable price with top of the line components and have a good tech person really dial them in.

Bluesbob and EdgarHF like this.
  11. Kevin Emmons

Kevin Emmons TDPRI Member

I have a tele with a splitable Seth Lover in the neck and a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge. These sounds great together. The split Seth Lover isn't the same as a traditional tele neck pickup, but it is it own thing and works great in combination with the JD bridge.

Congrats. This is going to be a great guitar. Not crazy at all. Life is short and this beauty will bring you and others tons of joy along the way. Well played!

EdgarHF likes this.
  12. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

I've had a couple of CS model teles, and they usually turn out to be duds. I've a fully customized '96 fotoflame that beats them all, and it has both the tummy tuck and the arm rest.

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When you get a Custom Shop Guitar with documentation - does the paperwork tie the guitar to a particular individual who performed the work? - and is there a value hierarchy associated with the individual builders?

Lost_N_Austin

EdgarHF likes this.
  14. EdgarHF

My CS Tele is really a run of the mill custom shop guitar. I believe C. W. Fleming only designed the limited edition as a whole and did not build my particular guitar. I believe only the master built ones are put together by one individual. I am no expert and others here may know better.

Paulie13 likes this.
  15. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    ^^^^That's pretty much right on the money....as far as a hierarchy, there will always be buyers who think that one Masterbuilder is "better" than another and will look for guitars built by only who they like best. And there are some MB that can be recognized by some of the characteristics they use in their builds.

EdgarHF likes this.
  16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats to the OP, enjoy!

EdgarHF likes this.
  17. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Watch out the relic police have arrived ha ha

18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I encountered one of these in a shop and found it to be incredible. While most fotoflames are a bad joke IMO, the ones on these are, frankly, as beautiful as any paint job, and the guitar was freaking awesome. If I had less concern for others putting me down for a fotoflame, I woulda/shoulda snagged that thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.