I Did Not Like The 80's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2021.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

It wasn't temporary. Music has been this way since at least the 80s. It has been even more true in the decades since.

2. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dang! That's Louden Wainwright singing with Dave Thomas! Never in a million years will something like that be televised again.

Manual Slim likes this.
  3. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, the 90s were a bit s*** too.

4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Looks like the WLIR-based playlist for my daughter’s Sweet 16. :cool:

Double Stop likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My first kid was born in 1981. A second arrived in October of 1982. I was busy with career development and was no longer playing guitar. I didn’t like anything on the radio except classical so I listened to that on QXR and NYC. The New York Academy of Sciences had a chamber music series my wife and I attended with friends. It was our monthly night out of the house without the kids. I’m sure there was pop and rock. Phil Collins? I think so. But I worked until I came home, ate dinner, put the kids to bed and started working again. Hard work paid off, handsomely, but I don’t want to see anything like the ‘80s again as long as I live.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Ronzo likes this.
  6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

For a long time, I said the best job in America was standing in between Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson singing “LOVE SHACK BABY!!”

aging_rocker and Zoso420 like this.
  7. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

As a guitar player how can you not like the 80s? It's probably one of the decades the guitar was the most popular. Not everything was hair bands and new wave synth

8. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

You know, it occurs to me that Nirvana wasn't actually the beginning of an era of grunge, but that Nirvana was actually the end of the new wave era, and grunge represented a return of stadium classic rock.

I hated grunge, by the way.

9. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Nirvana's first album came out in 89. Both AIC and soundgarden started in the late 80s

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

As a guitar player, IMO, it's the worst decade of guitar playing...full stop. Not even as much as what it was as to what it gave birth to.

Blues went to shuffle feeling right hand slapping 1+3 strat-o-blasting.

Jazz went to turning your tone knob all the way down and noodling whatever the hell you felt like noodling.

Rock went to guys in spandex who, instead of learning all the roots ****, just learned metronomic diatonic legato lines and their main influences were straight up stadium rock from the 60's/70's.

Country went from all the monster guitar parts and players it came out of to whatever guy backed up Dwight Yoakam, ouch.

What Barry Harris describes in the first 5 minutes of this video isn't just isolated to Jazz:

Basically, instead of a linear progression of rhythm/harmony music became heavily watered down. Forgo any sense of pocket and you can noodle whatever you want to noodle. Or, worse, just take your book of exercises and call the scale runs "solos." As if, for the past 150 years every virtuoso on the planet couldn't run his scales as fast 32'nds, adding pointy guitars and shredder high gain to the tone doesn't change what's actually being played: simple diatonic exercises.

**** got boring as hell. Saying the 80's was great for guitar would be like comparing Yanni to Bud Powell then calling Yanni great.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  11. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

So the 90s and 200s have been better?

smsuryan likes this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

The diversity has expanded a lot, IMO, it's just guitar playing is nowhere near as popular but that's not to say it's better today. It's just, the tangent the 80's created continues today but it's not just the fault of players, it's cultural too as much as anything. I do like that the 90's got a bit rootsy again but that's about where it starts and ends. Long gone are the times when a bus comes to town looking for a swinging guitar player and overnight you're strutting 6 nights a week 6 hours a night in front of crowds desperate to go dancing.

13. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Thank DJs and cheap club owners. On the surface of the 80s there were some flashy players without much substance but go a little deeper and the 80s had lots of tasty licks.

14. deytookerjaabs

I agree there were some solid players across various genres, absolutely.

15. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The 80s was a great decade for me , the most successful and fun band I had been in was then . A lot of variety of music for a cover band to play . We played stuff by J.Geils Band , .38 Special , Foreigner , Tommy Tutone , Devo , Molly Hatchett , The Vapors , Dire Straits , Greg Kihn Band , and on and on . These are just a few on an old song list I had in my guitar case !

16. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

or all 70s music sucked because of Donnie & Marie, John Denver and disco versions of nearly everything.

smsuryan likes this.
  17. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Holic

If you didn't like the 80's and thought the music sucked try being born in the late 80's like me... I'm actually very fond of super-commercial artificial 80's pop such as "Invisible Touch" by Genesis.

18. EZMFE

EZMFE Tele-Meister

80s by far my favorite musical era-- NEW WAVE!

And the Clash is one of my favorite bands, so...

19. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

Don't Worry, Be Happy.

:twisted:

smsuryan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.