I Did Not Like The 80's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2021.

1. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

no 80's, no motorhead.

drlucky likes this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The 80s were great for having your way with fast women with too much mousse in their hair, but little else, IMO. If I never play another Guns n' Jovi song, it will be too soon.

drlucky likes this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My memories of the 1980's are mainly about where I was, what was going on in my travels in the military, and my personal relationships.

Music of the day was less a soundtrack than something to observe, and occasionally absorb. In places like Berlin, Germany, Jolon, California or Brussels, Belgium, a part of the local colour.

In an out of a lot of sordid affairs with a variety of girls, I guess I am lucky to be alive, and to have come out of it comparatively unscathed. I do have a few scars though, I must confess.

My album collection from those days reveals what I was willing to absorb, I guess.
    Elvis Costello
    Peter Gabriel
    Hall and Oates
    David Bowie
    Kate Bush
    Joe Jackson
    **** Robin
    Paul Young
    Robert Palmer
    and a smattering of other bits of musical flotsam and jetsam.

Robert Palmer's Pride album left an impression on me.
    Man, that cat was willing to try different and unusual things.

I heard a lot of ZZ Top on the radio, I remember that much.
    Prince, Steve Earle and The Dukes, Dwight Yoakam.

I enjoyed hearing Stevie Ray Vaughan, and then he was gone shortly thereafter.

No hate from me, I guess.

Were the 1950's, for the young guys and gals who dated and got married for the first time, all about bobby sock, poodle skirts, and Bill Haley and the Comets?
    I don't think so.

And so it was for me and the 1980's.

The 1980's were pages on the calendar.
    Not a scene or a culture for me, and therefore nothing for me to either embrace or reject.

:oops:

4. bigbreak

bigbreak Tele-Meister

I was in a coma through most of it.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

There were very few bands I liked in the 80s. My faves were.

Jesus and Mary Chain.
    Killing Joke.
    Bauhaus.
    Joy Division/New Order.
    The Stone Roses.
    The Smith's.
    The Clash.
    Orange Juice.
    McCarthy.
    Gang of Four.
    My Bloody Valentine.

Although some could argue that a few of the bands started out in the 70s, they made great inroads into the 1980s. The rest of the 80s IME was the most horrendous time in my life, something I have been able to mostly shut the door on.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  6. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Drum machines and synthesizers - eeyyuuuucccchhhh!

I listened to a lot of Bill Monroe and B.B. King in the 80s (and some other decades).

D.H.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

The best thing about the 80's was the death of disco.

8. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

The best video ever made came out of the 80's....

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Exactly. The 1980s in New Orleans, was very cool and the spandex and keyboards and Floyded Pointy Guitars type stuff was easy to filter out. Jazz, Soul, Zydeco, Gospel. You only listened to Twisted Sister if you wanted to. And, the UK and Ireland (and AUS and NZ) were cranking out some of the best music I've heard in my lifetime. The Associates; Microdisney, The Cure, just scores of great bands.

No, of course you would give up on Chart Radio and if I never hear another Michael Jackson record, that would be great. It was just a situation, where you couldn't just be on cruise control. You needed to work at it; ask around and find the gems in the mud.

10. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

New wave in the 80s had bands experimenting with new sounds. I don’t understand any complaints about that era. I have a harder time trying to find something new and original today that’s not a mix/beat recipe trying to be a hit. I think the older we get the more our ears get tired or it's the imprint of music in the brain you can't erase.

Skully and Zoso420 like this.
  11. Zoso420

Zoso420 TDPRI Member

I'm sorry you have bad taste in music

Skully likes this.
  12. Zoso420

Zoso420 TDPRI Member

Saying all 80s music sucked is like saying all 90s music sucked because gangster rap was the most popular

Skully likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I kinda don't remember a lot of the 80s. Maybe for the best

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

The eighties, The Police, The Talking Heads, Van Halen, Wall of Voodoo, Devo, Blondie, B-52, The Cars, The Clash, U-2, to name just a few. Not too shabby in my books. Also, band like AC/DC, Judas Priest, The Ramones to started earlier were still very active in the 1980's. It was actually a really good era for music in my opinion.

15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Well, in the 80s, Sherbet became The Sherbs.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

If all I got out of the 80s was Los Lobos, it would be worth it.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And STILL never got the attention they deserved.

18. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t say all the music in the 80s was bad. It’s just all that synth laden pop stuff was released at that time and some of us identify that decade with that kind of music.
    I think we develop our musical identity in our teen years. So for me it was the 70s. I guess classic rock or southern rock. It was after that time that I got heavily into jazz and I ignored a lot of other music because I was so focused. I was a narrow minded college student in the late 70s early 80s. Actually foolish as I look back on it now. I digress. Anyway in 82 I worked at a record store and all day long we would play LPs and that may have soured me as well. Then I had to play in cover bands of the pop stuff and the guitar parts were not always exciting in the 80s pop tunes. Conversely, a lot of great guitar players emerged in that decade but agin anything outside of jazz was of no interest to me at the time.
    so

So I do not hate the music of the 80s I just do not identify with it. Does that make sense?

19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

You just don’t get late night music programming like this on network TV any more.

drlucky likes this.
  20. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

That's funny... the 80's had a lot to recommend it, from underground stuff to the big acts, and the good part of it was that it wasn't the stale and ubiquitous classic rock that had been choking rock and roll to death since I was a kid.

It was a real breath of fresh air, frankly.

Then came Nirvana, and immediately after that they repacked all the stale and awful classic rock into things that pretended to be other than stale classic rock like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam and all of a sudden the nightmare was back. But Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam and the rest were awful, basically arena rock crap like Bad Company repackaged. Boring. Dull.

Kurt Cobain saw what he had unwittingly unleashed back into the world and he hated it as much as I did.

I guess if you're a person of a certain demographic and rap scared you and you thought alternative music like the Smiths made you seem gay and you thought synthesizers were for pussies unless John Paul Jones played them, then you were happy that arena rock was back.

For me, though, the return of "real rock" in the 90's was the end of the road for a lot of things.

Aftermath and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.