I Did Not Like The 80's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2021.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Neato! Just a warning, Dave Faulkner has a lot less hair now.

Skully likes this.
  2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

As do I! I've been watching their recent live videos, so I'm up to date on the hair loss. :) Truth be told, it was already apparent back in 1987 with the artfully worn head bandanna.

3. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Oh, I forgot The Waterboys! Mike Scott is still going strong, too.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The release date was September 1990, so a lot of that hairspray and spandex tight band stuff carried over into the next decade.

But the 1980s had some good "alternative" rock that paved the way for the explosion in the early 1990s.

Some of these were alternative and then popular and therefore a stretch to classify them, but a short list I can recall would include REM, B-52's, Pylon, Echo and the Bunnymen, Husker Du, The Smithereens, Pixies, The Smiths, Morrisey, Charlatans, etc.

I attended the U. of Georgia at the end of the 1980s and the bands we were seeing most certainly were not the clown acts that constituted "rock music" on MTV.

drlucky likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Does time cause all the stupid stuff that happens, or is the stupid stuff somehow immune to time? Why is stupid stuff so easily categorized by decades? Does the decade cause the stupid stuff, or does the stupid stuff cause the decade? Why do we just keep going along with it? Why doesn't someone somewhere come up with a solution for stopping time, just make it quit advancing. Oh, never mind, you'd put all the barber shops out of business.

I know something can be done about all of this. We need the guy who first figured out that an egg was good to eat, even though it came out of a chicken's butt. We need a guy who can think out of the chicken.

Telekarster likes this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey TD! So.... I have this old book called "Curious Facts" printed in 1904. As the title emplies, it's full of all sorts of things that were curiousities or oddities for that time. In one exerpt, it mentions that the estimated world propulation was approx. 1.4 billion people. Today we are at about 8 billion people. That means we've got about 8x more chances to do really stupid things! LOL!!! Maybe that's got something to do with it :cool::D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I believe that to be the absolute truth! When I was a kid in school, I can still see from our social studies class, the illustrations of the native Americans living in villages. The book taught that no matter how small or large a society was, there were alwasy two percent of them who would not work for the greater good, or conform, in short, there would always be a two percent trouble maker group. Now if my calculations are correct given your 8 billion world population estimate, that would mean a two percent group of 160,000,000! That certainly increases the odds of something really, really stupid happening just about any day of the week any where!

Telekarster likes this.
  8. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I've heard very little new music worth a d--n since about 1975. I haven't listend to music on the radio since about then. My main interest was jazz, mostly still is, and fusion killed that. I'd put the death of music not with the death of the Big Bopper et all, but with the death say of Jean Seberg. Makes as much sense as getting all moony over Ritchie Valens, who is occasionally mentioned, but never listened to other than by accident

I don't want to be TOO categorical. I 'd give a pass on Steely Dan (including their gaggle of stunning studio guys) and a very few others.

9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

My 80's where

U2
    REM
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    The Smithereens
    Prince

No that bad ?

drlucky likes this.
  10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Oh my goodness. I can’t believe I listen to Ritchie Valens on purpose. I feel so silly now.

SuprHtr and drlucky like this.
  11. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I had my first 3 sexual encounters, all within a month or so... With the common thread being..... Cyndi Lauper's "Girls just want to have fun" playing as the soundtrack.

Sorry the 80's sucked for you. :lol:

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Hutch and Barnsey... don't forget INXS and Cold chisel....:D

13. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

So I think we can agree that in the 80s, just like every other decade, there was good and bad music made.

There is simply far too much good (and bad) 80s music to list it all.

Also, just like every other decade, what was being played on mainstream radio/tv was seriously skewed towards the 'bad' end of things.

Also, there is a very real difference between the US 80's and the UK 80s.

Also, this:

14. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Sadly, this is not all. Not by a long shot.
    There are many more. I have friends who love listening to bad music, like some love bad B-movies.
    These are just the ones off the top of my head. I can think of several I didn't mention.

The 70s had just as much bad music, bad hair, bad fashion as the 80s, most isn't on video so they are easier to put out of your mind.

15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Wait a minute. Are you from St. Louis? That Riverport Amphitheater?

I was at that concert too! I also really enjoyed STP while they were around. It’s one of the bands from that era that I still enjoy hearing now...along with Soundgarden and Alice In Chains.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I lived in the St.Louis area for a few years. That was a good concert, huh?

mexicanyella likes this.
  17. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

The '80s was a great, fun time for me. British synth pop was not the type of music I'd have bought or played, but it was uplifting music. The whole time was uplifting - it felt like we were entering a new, more sophisticated era with more of a focus on the arts in all areas of our culture.

I hated "grunge"... it seemed so pretentious and boring. It was like going backwards. I still dislike most 90s music.

Skully likes this.
  18. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida Tele-Meister

well, I think in the context of time and guitar music some of the songs on it would still be pretty cool. At least the slide intro that Squire plays is still amazing and up there in rock history, in my opinion of course

Double Stop likes this.
  19. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I have been thinking about this over the last few days as I didn't like the 80's.
    My conclusion is that the late 70's were my teenage glory years, turned 21 in 1980 and it began the cycle of work, marriage, kids and yes divorce. I think it was that hangover from going from rebel without a care to being a productive member of society, only to find out life was not what they said and I wanted my youth back. Oh well life goes on and I settled into it ok, but I always wondered if it was that change from boy to man

drlucky and SuprHtr like this.
  20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I had a GREAT time during the 80s.
    Sex, drugs, rock & roll.
    Even disco was a hoot.

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.