I did mess with perfection - and I’m happy!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PeterUK, Jan 18, 2020.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks to those contributed to this thread:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/do-i-or-don’t-i-upgrade-perfection.995459/

Well despite the majority of posters saying leave well alone, I decided to go for it anyway. And I’m happy. Perhaps delighted.

I say that because it feels, plays and sounds exactly like it did - but with new strings. That new string sound!!

I took a number of measurements of string distances from the rear of the bridge, each string height and pick up height at the treble and bass sides and reassembled with those measurements.

I swapped bridges, reset to all of these measurements, tuned, intonated, played and enjoyed!

The action was and is super low, no buzz, intonation is a close as I can get it today (I’ll let everything settle and check; it’s really close which is not bad for ‘straight’ saddles) and it sounds GREAT.

I’ve also replaced the strap buttons with period buttons (I’ve used Philips screws which I’ll replace them with slotted) and I’m using ‘vintage’ Grolsch rubber stoppers for strap locks.

I’m going to breathe a hugh sigh of relief and enjoy the delight of creating a real accurate Broadcaster replica.

I’m planning a few additional period upgrades but this has been well worth it and a very enjoyable ‘experiment’.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

PeterUK likes this.
  3. PeterUK

Couple of cosmetic tweaks too, which have been bugging me:

1. I managed to source the correct controlplate screws (which are different to the pickguard screws: check your Blackguard Book) and when I received them the bucket plate as faded and looked almost rusty. A quick rub of Autosol (car brightwork polish) and they’ve come up a treat.

2. Same with the switch screws. These looked like aluminium so same again, a little Autosol and they’ve brightened up.

Both looked out of place but now they look aged but in keeping with the rest of the brightwork.

I’m not happy with the control plate as this is/was a Fender Japan and looks too thin, so I’m going to replace it with a Rutter one and age it according.

Finally, I’m surprised how grotty the original bridge had become. The saddles are black and coated with grot, grime and goo (I presume the remnants of 12+ years of my and my daughter’s sweat) and the underside is also quite grotty too!

Attached Files:

eallen likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Well done. Looks terrific. He who dares...

PeterUK likes this.
  5. PeterUK

Thanks ‘Del Boy’.

I discovered a few extra ‘MoJo’ things about it today.

I took it to Clive Brown as an assembled unfinished guitar and he disassembled it to finish it (obviously).

It also underwent a pick up change and I’ve never removed the bridge in 12-years.

I was delighted to discover that the pick up has the same black pick up tubing I had sourced for this change so I kept the original tubing.

Also, two of the bridge screws didn’t bite 100% - which I would normally plug - but I wanted to put it all back together as I took it apart (new bridge withstanding).

I’ve been doing weekly guitar tech since the holidays and confident with a screwdriver, so I went into it fearlessly!

Great day; fabulous guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    rze99 likes this.
  6. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with 'grotty' looking bridges/saddles. 67 years of genuine wear and tear. The way it should be. DSC_0060.JPG

PeterUK likes this.
  7. PeterUK

You’re absolutely right. I can’t wait until they ‘grub up’ a bit!

:lol: Peter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.