I did it....cork sniffers beware.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Powwerzombie, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

Yes, you are correct. I stand corrected.
    I am happy to say I have made back at LEAST 2 dollars for every dollar I have invested, including gas money, strings ect. 110-120% ROI.

Who can get that on the stock market? lol.
    Well, the Esteban is gone, as are the Rock Candy, and several others.

As for the petty bickering? There is enough of that on this forum to keep me at a distance. Who needs to be jumped for buying an Esteban? Not me.

Cork sniffers indeed.

2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:lol: I picked one up a neglected one for $60 a few weeks ago! I cleaned it and did a fret touch-up and full setup with new strings, and it's not bad at all! The trem bar action was not good so I just blocked it. Tuners are cheap but hold. The stock pickups are cool but I bought the guitar mainly to modify. I'm gonna rout out a swimming pool, and I ordered a sheet of pickguard material (grey pearloid), enough to copy the pickguard shape 2x and mount a couple of different sets of pickups I have around.

These things actually sell, but I'm gonna keep it; I like it, it's "different." :)

Before cleanup:
    Randy Jackson 01.jpg

As for Estebans, I've never held an acoustic model, but last year I scored an Esteban electric at Goodwill for $9.99 (did a NGD thread where someone ID'd it) — and all I can say is, it's an excellent guitar! Just don't use the whammy bar, block the trem (tuning issues). Neck, fretwork, pickups, all solid & great. It was originally black (the "Midnight Legacy") but someone stripped & stained/colored it a streaky green tint. I hated the body shape so I modified it:

000 Esteban DC - 08.jpg

Removing the cutaway and slimming the sides also reduced the weight appreciably—they are heavy guitars!
    If you find one for $100 or less, it's totally worth it, usually with a little setup etc.

Oh and P.S. at a pawnshop I recently bought a tiny Estaban amp for $12 — and it too is surprisingly good. For $12. :lol:

P Thought and Powwerzombie like this.
  3. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

At worst, you spent $20 of YOUR money on something that, at the very least, will look better on your wall than any $20 picture.

At best, you may have fun tinkering on and playing YOUR guitar.

Cheers and have fun!

Powwerzombie likes this.
  4. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

am I the only one that would like to El Kabong Esteban with one of his guitars while Segovia blasts in the background?

unbridled likes this.
  5. Powwerzombie

That thing looks 100% better now!

Is that a thing? (100% better, lol)

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  6. Powwerzombie

I am glad somebody gets it. I got paid $40 to find out FIRSTHAND if they were total junk like all the internet experts say. It wasn't. Sure the QC was Chinesey, but I've paid a lot more for "real guitars" that needed a lot more TLC.

I kinda hated to see it go....it played fine, sounded decent, and it was perty.

unbridled likes this.
  7. Powwerzombie

The tuners were pure ****, lol. I could have replaced them with a 6.99 set from China and it would have been a 50% improvement.

unbridled likes this.
  8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.