I did a thing...PRS SE content.

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I had a guitar I never use, that was worth what I paid, so time to trade: I wanted an inexpensive guitar I could throw in the car for rehearsals, jams, etc., but it had to sound and play well. I had heard a lot of good things about the "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphone models, so down to the store I go. I have no idea what the reviewers were looking at but every example I tried out looked fine from 2 feet away, but they were all horrifyingly shoddy. Bad fretwork, wonky switches, sloppy workmanship, bindings that were installed by pigeons, and they just seemed tossed together.

The salesman (a very good friend, BTW) asked if I had any feeling about PRS guitars. I said I had an open mind and he handed me an SE 245. What a difference!! For the same price as one of the Epis it had perfect fretwork, and lovely dark rosewood board. The pickups are moderate output with nice brightness while maintaining a nice fatness. Big, yet comfortable neck, incredible playability. I know the flamey top is veneer, but I'd compare this to instrument two or even three times the money.

2 issues: In order to get the G string to intonate, the saddle had to be set very far back in the bridge. The angle of the string would push the saddle forward every time I bent the string. I solved this by cutting a small spring to length and installing it around the set screw.

The other issue was the knobs. They must have been installed in the dark or at the very end of shift. With the pots open, 2 of them read 10. One read 0 and the other read 6. Easy fix.

Pretty happy with it.

TEA.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Excellent choice! The SE stuff is a lot of bang for the buck. I feel the same way you do about Epiphone, and I also feel that way about the MIM Fender stuff. Every time either line gets updated/revamped/“improved” and everyone is raving about it, I traipse out to go try some out thinking maybe it’ll finally be “there”, from a build quality standpoint. Never is.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Congrats! I have been considering that very model - although leaning towards the all-mahogany body, without the maple top. Had just wandered over to the “other guitars” sub-forum to see if anyone had anything to say about these singlecut SE 245’s - and here you are.

Thanks for the info - you might have just pushed me over the edge…

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Very good! I’ve had an SE245 for nearly 6 years and it is a great guitar. Very comfortable to play, very well set up and well finished. Mine has the original simple fixed lightning-bolt bridge which intonates perfectly well with 9s or 10s.
(I got fed up with the 4-knob controls and hacked it up for master volume and tone, but I’d rather do that to keep the guitar playing than move it on.)

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! I have been considering that very model - although leaning towards the all-mahogany body, without the maple top. Had just wandered over to the “other guitars” sub-forum to see if anyone had anything to say about these singlecut SE 245’s - and here you are.

Thanks for the info - you might have just pushed me over the edge…
I like the fact that the SE 245 Standard (all mahogany) has a bound fingerboard. They look really good to me, but the one I got was the one that was there and I have no regrets. I can't imagine being unhappy with one of these SE models if it has the features you're looking for.

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
I had a guitar I never use, that was worth what I paid, so time to trade: I wanted an inexpensive guitar I could throw in the car for rehearsals, jams, etc., but it had to sound and play well. I had heard a lot of good things about the "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphone models, so down to the store I go. I have no idea what the reviewers were looking at but every example I tried out looked fine from 2 feet away, but they were all horrifyingly shoddy. Bad fretwork, wonky switches, sloppy workmanship, bindings that were installed by pigeons, and they just seemed tossed together.

The salesman (a very good friend, BTW) asked if I had any feeling about PRS guitars. I said I had an open mind and he handed me an SE 245. What a difference!! For the same price as one of the Epis it had perfect fretwork, and lovely dark rosewood board. The pickups are moderate output with nice brightness while maintaining a nice fatness. Big, yet comfortable neck, incredible playability. I know the flamey top is veneer, but I'd compare this to instrument two or even three times the money.

2 issues: In order to get the G string to intonate, the saddle had to be set very far back in the bridge. The angle of the string would push the saddle forward every time I bent the string. I solved this by cutting a small spring to length and installing it around the set screw.

The other issue was the knobs. They must have been installed in the dark or at the very end of shift. With the pots open, 2 of them read 10. One read 0 and the other read 6. Easy fix.

Pretty happy with it.

View attachment 940197
PRS SEs always "punch above their weight". Everyone I own and have played (new and used) has been really nice, with good workmaship and electronics. Congrats!

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I like the spring!

Clear Nail Polish is another possible solution, just FYI.

But since you already have a spring, that's better IMO.

I solved this by cutting a small spring to length and installing it around the set screw.

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted

Pretty happy with it.

View attachment 940197
Awesome happy NGD! I got my first prs (the santana version of the 245) and after spending some time at home with it I knew it was a keeper congrats