1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I did a good job at work, now I have been assigned more work!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doghouseman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

With that attitude it sounds like you deserve nothing.

cottontails1959 likes this.
  2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I called out my director and got set up to be thrown under the bus. My boss wanted nothing to do with it. They gave me a new boss and the ******* sabotaged a project that was on time. Fired and retired at 46 in 2012. I made the 1%er rolls last year.

3. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 Tele-Meister

right!?!

Go read page 95, 1812: The March On Moscow - Paul Britten Austin - Greenhill Books, 1993

Jim622 likes this.
  4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Utter BS in my experience. In fact, I know with certainty I was once laid off specifically becasuse the company figured I could find a new job more quickly than my co-workers, saving the company money.

5. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

This country doesn't really reward hard work that much the more I think about it. As we speak there's people living in 2 bedroom townhomes who make ZERO dollars on government programs. I'd have to make 50 grand/yr to have that. Hard to say my hard work is being rewarded when others get it for doing nothing at all.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

use it to your advantage.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

In describing this phenomenon while I was growing up, my mother would say "The mule that pulls the hardest gets whipped the most."

It was cautionary. Not in the sense that we should avoid it by purposely not excelling, but rather to excel nonetheless and expect/manage it.

cottontails1959 and Jim622 like this.
  8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Man, that is such an old story. It happened to me, too. I was the absolute best at what I did, and always took it to the next level, thinking that was the best route to upward mobility. Boy, was I naïve. I'd get a pay raise, but then watched morons get promoted. Corporate life - just incredible.

Jim622 likes this.
  9. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Curious as to why your boss would farm you out to other groups. I have no shortage of stretch projects and team initiatives to keep my top performers engaged. No way am I going to "give away" resources.

Look for another job.

10. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Well, its not "utter BS" as you so ineloquently put it. Just because you have a different experience doesn't change the statistical fact that a job done well leads to retention, bonuses, and advancement.

11. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

I know your pain. I went through that for many years. Eventually the things that I did to help other divisions became solely assigned to me since I did a better job and was more efficient.

My words of advice is to take everything as an opportunity to learn and grow in some way, make sure you make a place in your resume for those new tasks and special projects and be sure to note the success of those, know your worth, don't let yourself be taken advantage of and lastly keep an eye open for something better to come along, not just different, but better.

In my experience once the ball is rolling on down this path it only picks up speed. Don't expect any monetary gain because no one buys the cow when they get their milk for free.

I eventually became very blunt and told my boss that the bank stopped allowing me to cash in his "thank yous" and "good jobs".

Good luck

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. bb70Tele

bb70Tele TDPRI Member

I invest in finding people I like to work with and doing work I like to do. The rest is energy wasted. And the thing is, the best opportunities come up when those two conditions are in place.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

First things first, don't complain or make it obvious that you might be unhappy with the change. Having said that, getting extra work every once in a while after success on a previous project shouldn't set a precedent of a heightened workload. If you've been put on-loan to other departments on a full-time basis, it might be time to ask your supervisor for an early performance review so you have a formal setting to negotiate compensation. Don't be so old-fashioned that you think you should take it in stride, don't be so new-school that you think it's okay to pout and whine :lol: This is all about honesty and integrity from both parties.

IMO the latter part you wrote is only a "kind of."

"Orcs work to live and Dwarves live to work" is a phrase that comes to mind, and I hope that mentality continues to fall out of fashion as the norm or expectation. What's more, this all depends on one's own profession and financial situation. We don't know each other's details, or the OP's :)

I'm on the younger side around here, been out of college and working for only 5 years, so there's your grain of salt. I prefer to do a good job, handle the extra work on time when possible, but I don't sweat it if I get extra work that can't be completed on time. I communicate my status to my supervisor daily, and prioritize. I have a dog at home, I live alone, I want to excel in my career, but not at the expense of my own self-respect. Getting called in every weekend, staying late everyday, that means your employer doesn't respect you. I don't go for that. Call me a slacker or whatever, but respect is a two-way street. My boss doesn't pay me, the company does. I go home on time and come in on weekends when needed, not as a rule. That's the fast track to being taken advantage of, which I experienced at my first engineering job. Is my generation showing? :eek:

Employers are, I assume, like children: you gotta set boundaries haha! Ask me how I feel after another 35 years of working :lol:

telestratosonic and Flakey like this.
  14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Best of luck in your chosen career. You are still a baby in the work force. It sounds like your doing well.

I will say I have never had a job I didn’t want to go too. I have always loved my jobs. So I am way ahead of the game in that respect.

Sconnie likes this.
  15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

That is the long and short of it my friend!

16. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Commonly known as the Irishman’s pay rise!

17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

This is one reason I became a consultant, 26 years ago. Always conflict with higher level managers over this issue. At one company, I was actually fired for doing my job and doing it well. (Long story ...) It became clear that my goals would always diverge from my bosses in full time, regular employment, so I changed the deal. End of conflict.

18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I work hard. That’s the only thing I know. Back when I was younger, you try to follow me onstage, good luck.

Nobody put out more energy than I did.

Nobody.

19. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, if you live in the U.S., "managers" do not have Management degrees. Most of them are more likely to have terminal degrees in Charisma. So, basic stuff that we learned by the time we were 19-year-old sophomores, is completely lost on them. Their "Management" skill and or training is (usually) following a manual for the position they currently hold, and that position's roles are adapted to avoid that manager's specific deficiencies.

Most U.S. "managers" are managers like I'm a painter, plumber, or guitar technician. Or Guitarist, for that matter ...

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's classic "punish the innocent, reward the guilty" management style that has existed since the dawn of time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.