1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I did a good job at work, now I have been assigned more work!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doghouseman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

embrace mediocrity...

darkwaters likes this.
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I don't mean to quibble, but once you work a good horse to death, don't you have to buy a new horse? Even if you have bred them, aren't good horses hard to come by? Sorry, it just doesn't makes sense to me.

nicknklv likes this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I guess I’m glad I work a a company different from you all. I do a good job, I get more work, I get more pay. The slackers pretty much are gone. And I don’t hear a lot of this type of grinching. But I hear a lot of “do you need help?”

Different strokes.

nicknklv likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Your good horse can finish the task in 8 hours. Your other horses take 9 or 10. Time is money. Time wasted is lost sleep. Time saved is more time for other tasks. You keep saving that hour as long as you can; you work that horse to death.

It's kind of like asking a racer why they don't use the slower car.

You do have a good point, but if that "good horse" saves significant time, well, you save it while you can. If it is only small bits, then you rotate.

SonicMustang likes this.
  5. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I've always taken the initiative to do more than expected and at times that's resulted in being asked to do additional tasks because they know I will get them done. It has never come without more compensation and advancement, though sometimes that has happened after the fact. If it didn't I would have probably bailed years ago. Good luck!

6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Be positive

More work means you will be busier. Makes the workday time pass faster !

SonicMustang likes this.
  7. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, sometimes it makes your job TOO secure and inoculates you from promotion.

Flakey likes this.
  8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

1. You got a job

2. You ain't dead.

That seems like a win these days.

9. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

It is. You work for the company. So when you do good work, according to management logic, the company should be rewarded, not you.

The less actual, valuable work you do, the more you will be compensated.

Flakey likes this.
  10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pop said the most important thing he learned in the Army was, Never do anything right that you don't want to do again.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

we would have weekly supervisory meetings , and one of the other supervisors would always pipe in when ever i had a sugestion , after 3 years of this happening , I asked him if he noticed that any time he countered my sugestions did he notice he got stuck with the task of exicuting the modified prposal ? stopped him cold in his tracks.

12. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

You have proven yourself as a valuable employee. When it comes time for raises and bonuses, you're at the top of the list. When it comes time for lay-offs and down sizing, you're at the bottom of the list. Careers and jobs are marathons, not sprints. Be there for the long term.

13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I believe that this is referred to as a "learning moment".

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

It is. Look up Peter Principle.

Wanna keep your current demands? Do only the bare minimum. Integrity is highly overrated anyway.

15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

I can't believe not one person has suggested actually asking for the raise. The closest anyone came was to say "you're at the top of the list when it's time".

The time is NOW.

Flakey and SonicMustang like this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

It's not the opposite. Basically people keep getting promoted until they can no longer figure out the work. Then they stay at that position. If you do well, you get promoted. If you don't, you either stay where you're at, get fired, or quit.

17. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

That's true, as long as this is what you want to do. My wife will say things like 'can't you be happy with what you have?" and I remind here there are other flavors than vanilla, or other toppings than just cheese for that pizza. Could also explain why I have 8 guitars...
    Long story so skipping to the end- being at my job/s 26 years, and having been a lead and supervisor in other departments, I have the knowledge and experience (using three different productivity/inventory systems over that span) and people skills to make things happen. I don't make the money (but I am certainly making more in the trenches than I was a supervisor, go figure) but I don't have the stress either. I get tasked with extra things, usually at an in-opportune moment, but I am a 'soldier' and will do it correctly and quickly, even though I may gripe about it (that's what we in the trenches do, of course). The marathon analogy comes into play and that they listen to me. I can and have told them 'no, don't do that'. My co-workers get nervous when I do such things, but they also know myself and one or two others actually do know what we are doing, whereas our immediate supervisor.... His boss, our department manager, consults with me and we have a rapport. My supervisor, on the other hand, will only do something if an email told him to. No more, no less. He can have that job, I have some (a lot actually) free-reign and certainly less stress.
    A marathon, you see.

myteleplaysjazz likes this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Being a good employee can work against you

19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

you are a great subordinate, you make your boss look real good, and you know how that ges now his buddy owes him cause your solving something , making the other guy look good, and now lets all sing the song together,
    "Sing While you slave and I just get bored"

900d2f80f3f9cc1685003bb33a06c5fd.jpg

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Correct. Being wanted in the workplace is and should be a long term goal. The perks come later on a variety of possible avenues. So stick with it, don't count the assumed monetary value of your extra efforts right now and feel the pride of those efforts.

myteleplaysjazz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.