1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I couldn't resist it anymore...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    I ordered an Ibanez Artist AR420.

I had been looking out for a Les Paul style guitar but figured that while you see Les Pauls everywhere, Ibanez Artists are far less common.

So I placed an order for one just like this one and now the waiting begins.

FortyEight, Stiles, emisilly and 41 others like this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I await your review when it arrives. This is a model that I’ve been VERY curious about. I have never happened on one in a store to try out. I’ve been hesitant to believe that at this price point they’ll be as good as the late 70’s/early 80’s examples. But if they’re in the ballpark, it would be worth it. I just haven’t been able to take the plunge without playing one first.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It's a looker, that's for sure.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Guild Bluesbird for much the same reason, plus I wasn't interested in paying the Gibson Tax.

That's a looker.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Very cool!

6. Blazer

As long as they're not as HEAVY as the original ones I'll be fine with ordering one unseen. I played the new ones in a shop a while ago and they played just fine.

[​IMG]
    I owned one of these for a short while, it bent my spine.

brookdalebill and Jakedog like this.
  7. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I do believe they're about as heavy as the AG's which is not much. My AS103 is 8 lbs so I'd expect it to be somewhere around that.

Watching thread and looking forward to your review.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice!! Congratulations & enjoy.

9. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I was seriously looking over one in the mid 70's when a Gibson LP Custom listed for $720 and a cool store would sell them for a bit less than $500. These Artists I believe were in the mid-$300's and for my money played & sounded as good as any Gibby. BUT - at the time Ibanez's weren't something a serious working rock guitarist would consider showing up to a club gig with...MIJ was a major stigma and would damage your cred. So I bought the LP Custom. Now when I see these Artists, like yours, I just think, "Damn! I should have been the local rebel who stormed through the prejudice!"

10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

You have impeccable taste. Welcome to the club.

Artist AR325 = 7.4 lbs.
    [​IMG]

11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I'll also be curious to hear your review. I've always wanted a double cutaway Ibanez.

I have to say I have owned 5 Ibanez guitars of different ages from the 80s up thru the 00s, and all have been fantastic guitars. IMO they outclass most guitar brands that cost far more.

nicknklv likes this.
  12. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I had a 1978(?) Ibanez Studio back in the early 80's. I traded it in for a Yamaha classical when I was taking classical lessons. I no longer have either guitars. It was identical to this one except for the knobs and played like budda. I really liked the quick load tailpiece.

[​IMG]

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Spudly

Spudly TDPRI Member

I had one of the original Artists from 1978. It was stolen from me while I was on the road. Really miss that guitar. A few years ago I bought an AR325 like the one pictured above and was surprised by how much thinner the new body is. The new lighter version has neck dive that I didn't get with my 70s original Artist. I also have an ST200 in natural like the one in the post before this. Great playing guitar, but heavy as a tank. That AR420 is a real looker. Congrats and I hope it's a good one and you like it.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful, congratulations!

15. Blazer

You could have told the nay-sayers "Hey Bob Weir plays them and if they're good enough for HIM..."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too long ago I learned about how Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley were courted by Ibanez to become endorsers. Paul, as we all know got a signature model Iceman while Ace got several destroyers he used onstage. But Ace also had his old tobbacco burst Les Paul Deluxe modified into a double cutaway guitar.
    [​IMG]
    Ace was still using this one as his primary live guitar, so the people at Ibanez must have been aware of it. Perhaps they saw it and went "Now THERE'S a look!"

Chiogtr4x, nicknklv and Old Plank like this.
  16. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

AR 100.JPG

AR100 Made in Japan. Late 70'searly 80's. Bought it used in '83 for $300. Played wonderfully! Sold it years ago. Been kicking myself ever since.

studio1087 and Old Plank like this.
  17. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Looks like great choice. Ibanez makes a lot of high value instruments. Too bad I rarely see them in stores.

18. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I have an AR420 and a vintage 1978 2619. The 420 is a fine guitar but I’d have to give the nod to the 2619 as being the better guitar.

My AR420
    70861E74-A7F2-4C28-93BF-1C7FC734CECD.jpeg B942463C-6C40-4D5A-9818-BD5D6BA84326.jpeg

My 2619
    4E31916B-7967-45A5-A48A-90704370FB49.jpeg 1D62D99E-8954-40BB-BB56-6D91DD679978.jpeg

7171551, studio1087, nicknklv and 3 others like this.
  19. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i've found many ibanez electrics to be fabulous guitars and tons of bang for the buck,,, congrats!

20. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

'tis a thing of beauty . . .

I've always associated w/ Bobby Weir w/ that model amd wondered if there was any exemption on the boat-anchor weight thing that interferes w/ enjoying my Norlin.

Tell me there's a 7 pounder out there and I'm reaching for my card.
    :cool:
    Peace - Deeve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.