1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I coulda bought a modeler, but instead I bought two tube amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digital Larry, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I got a Peavey Classic 20 Micro Head last week, and ordered a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus which hasn't arrived yet. I also got a Captor-X attenuator/IR/XLR thingey.

The Peavey has an analog, fixed cab sim IR/XLR built in. I've used that awhile to drive headphones, and I'm not exactly doing back flips. It's a very different sound than I get connecting an open back 1x12 to the same amp.

Note that I already have an Eleven Rack modeler, and have used it a lot. I just started to realize that in my whole life I've never owned a tube guitar amp, and so "I don't know what I'm missing". Part of the goal is to find out.

The Peavey's clean channel is fine, and I can get a little grrr going on if I crank that. The drive channel I am less enamored with, however I can get some acceptable sounds with it and EQ adjustment.

Mostly I am curious to see if this changes how I work, since even with EQ and a bunch of different modes on the Mesa Boogie, it's a known environment and I think I will settle down to just a few basic sounds that I use most of the time. With the 11R, most of the time I don't even remember which amp model I am using because it's not shown unless I'm on the right screen.

I also have two pedals which use the FV-1. One I designed myself and it has expression pedal inputs for all 3 controls. I have used it with a fancy tremolo patch I developed myself. So that's the other thing that will be a bit unique, is that I will be coming up with screwy DSP effects in this setup.

Stay "tuned" for more exciting updates!

Wally, 2L man, Crobbins and 1 other person like this.
  2. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

IMHO digital modelers & effects are best when playing through a real guitar cab. I'm a big fan boy of my Katana Artist and my Peavey Classic 50 head and 4x10 cab. Eventually I will get another tube head (but with an FX loop) and a floor modeler - for me that's the sweet spot. Therefore I'm really looking forward to your updates!

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Yeah, sadly that's one thing I can't really do at the moment, not very loud anyway. I'm going to wind up with 2 guitar cabs, one open back, one closed back, and will probably see if I can get acceptable toanz out of them somehow.

I may also try to do some stereo tracking just for giggles. See if that approach is worth it. I don't get too creative with FX on the 11R because it hardly has any effects - just basics IMO. I think this helps me concentrate on songwriting more than toan chasing.

KirbyBarba likes this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

@DLarry...you've the same GAS I have...one modeler would have ruled them all, but no, I wanted amps and pedals in more than one room :oops:.

Oh----Happy New Amp(s) Day! Collect them all, trade them with your friends.

5. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have the Peavey ValveKing 20 MH, and I agree with your estimation on the drive channel, and the headphone out on mine. The reverb is not so great either. A headphone amplifier helps, but still sounds just ok. I use pedals for overdriven sounds, and it sounds quite good. If I really crank the clean channel, it sounds quite good, but that's too damn loud. It is a little more jangly sounding than the Classic.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Try a 12AY7 or a 5751 in V1 in the Peavey. You might like what it does to both modes.
    Congrats Larry on taking the plunge...I probably would find the Mesa to my liking.I like a MkV a lot, and the MKIV is my favorite Boogie so far. There are a lot of possibilities sitting in that Mesa. They may not be as easily accessible as your ‘models’, but I have always enjoyed the real thing rather than a simulation. Ommv.

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.