I could do this...camper content

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I think that and buy a 93 XJ and put 10 grand of parts and welding and a trailer to pull it! You are all set for under a hundy and you can go anywhere and break stuff and fix it cheap.

What happens sometimes is people get into offroading not realizing that if you are doing it right, you break stuff and you get stranded....

check out how the overland folks do on matt's offroad recovery channel on youtube...

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I think that and buy a 93 XJ and put 10 grand of parts and welding and a trailer to pull it! You are all set for under a hundy and you can go anywhere and break stuff and fix it cheap.

What happens sometimes is people get into offroading not realizing that if you are doing it right, you break stuff and you get stranded....

check out how the overland folks do on matt's offroad recovery channel on youtube...
It's an RV, why would I tow it? Oh, wait, you mean pull the jeep behind the RV. Doh. I used to race MX in the 70's..... Fixed my share of V8 engines and transmissions. My dad taught me how to work on cars, he was the master sergeant of Company A motorpool under Patton in No. Africa in WW2.

But I'm oooooooooOOoooold now and would just RV to camping spots at beaches and parks, lol...

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
These were pretty cool like 35 years ago? I saw a couple in our town and around the USA, and one’s been parked in a small town an hour south for years and years.

Not quite a “Zilla” but not $325K either.
9A7D9205-3640-499B-BF10-B230B3AB7743.jpeg

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
As much as I love and rave about my Taco, Adding that weight/mass and taller tires would be no bueno. Bad idea.
Though not as bad as...
These were pretty cool like 35 years ago? I saw a couple in our town and around the USA, and one’s been parked in a small town an hour south for years and years.

Not quite a “Zilla” but not $325K either. View attachment 1015189

I drove and worked on a number of those and similar back in the late 80's and into the 90's when I was at a Toyota dealership. Just near disasters. Underpowered, killed economy and longevity and got pushed around in so much as a cross breeze.
There were some cube truck conversions that were even worse.
No thanks. I'll pack my truck and hit the hotel circuit thank you.

And besides... :rolleyes:

That ain't camping... :p

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
my grandparents were hardcore catholics and while they loved each other, they were terrible together. They couldn't get divorced, so, my grandfather had a string of gas stations up 99 from Rogue River and a truck farm in the central valley while my grandma raised the kids in Compton teaching piano.

My grandpa lived in an alaska camper on his willys truck. He had a one room house on his truck farm and he slept sometimes in the back of his gas stations, but, mostly he slept in his camper. He was a fishing, hunting machine and worked us kids super hard when my dad would take us over to work. He said army blankets were the best blanket and chose them over sleeping bags when we went camping.

did a lot of hunting and fishing with him as a kid... he was pretty violent, so it was always a little scary... somewhere I have a picture of a rattlesnake he caught while we were fishing on the American River. My dad was super mad at him that day (also a violent person) so, we were freaked out. I slept in the camper a few times. People were way tougher back then. They could take a beating.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
325K for something that would easily roll over in crosswinds. But at least it has a nice winch - it might be helpful, for the crew who does the recovery.

The whole angle, of the Taco, was it was reliable and cheap. This is off the other end, spendy.

Look. When we are out camping, I don't want to draw ANY unwanted attention. As it is, parking someplace you don't own, you never know what the intentions of the fools who like to fire off a few rounds in your general direction at 11:45 PM on a TH, F or Sat night, camping some of these places. I suggest, to tote around something that expensive, you best be well armed (and so that people know it) or someone is gonna try to take this thing away from you. You wanna be one of the lowest value targets out there, not the spendiest guy out there.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
325K for something that would easily roll over in crosswinds. But at least it has a nice winch - it might be helpful, for the crew who does the recovery.

The whole angle, of the Taco, was it was reliable and cheap. This is off the other end, spendy.

Look. When we are out camping, I don't want to draw ANY unwanted attention. As it is, parking someplace you don't own, you never know what the intentions of the fools who like to fire off a few rounds in your general direction at 11:45 PM on a TH, F or Sat night, camping some of these places. I suggest, to tote around something that expensive, you best be well armed (and so that people know it) or someone is gonna try to take this thing away from you. You wanna be one of the lowest value targets out there, not the spendiest guy out there.

Dang is it really $325K?!

My 2019 Airstream (25' Flying Cloud) and 2019 Tundra only set me back a little more than $100K. Got lucky on both and got last on the lot of the previous year and they were begging me to take them.

It's an RV, why would I tow it? Oh, wait, you mean pull the jeep behind the RV.

They're call "toads" get it? :D

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been camping all my life, in tents for the longest time.

But 3 years ago I got a brand new 2019 F250 4x4 and a brand new Four Wheel Popup Camper installed on top. I've been all over the USA in this thing and absolutely love it. I camp solo and have plenty of room, AC, Heat, a Shower and much more.

1660098994159.png

I'm very grateful to have this rig. I could easily live the fulltime "van life" with this setup after I retire.

Edit - the other thing I really like about my rig is when the camper top is down, it is great for stealth camping, still plenty of room to sleep on the couch part. Comes in very handy at times.

Last edited:

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
The real deal.

And $325k qualifies as a down payment.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
The real deal.

And $325k qualifies as a down payment.

Now your talking! Those remind me of my Mighty Moe jeep I had as a kid. Very badass.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
As much as I love and rave about my Taco, Adding that weight/mass and taller tires would be no bueno. Bad idea.
Though not as bad as...

I drove and worked on a number of those and similar back in the late 80's and into the 90's when I was at a Toyota dealership. Just near disasters. Underpowered, killed economy and longevity and got pushed around in so much as a cross breeze.
There were some cube truck conversions that were even worse.
No thanks. I'll pack my truck and hit the hotel circuit thank you.

And besides... :rolleyes:

That ain't camping... :p
Having some knowledge of Toyota truck engines through the years I kinda figured that would be a lotta load for every minute of the day driving.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife and I go camping with our dog Bella. A van camper wouldn't be enough for us. Our rig of choice is an r-pod 195 trailer (22-footer) towed by our RAM 1500. We put some special decals on it to personalize our "Texas Roadrunner." Can't find a pic at the moment of the trailer + RAM truck, but here's one with our first tow vehicle, a GMC Envoy we used to have...
1660135482973.png

1660135527302.png

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I can't believe I waited for so long to get an RV. I had tricked out a couple vans in the past but only good for a couple weeks before you got cramped or had to land in a friends driveway! :D

I decided at the last minute almost to go to Santa Fe Indian Market next week. Ha! Good luck finding a motel...if ya do...$350+ a night! But my favorite RV park in SF had a space for $65 a night! I'd boondock nearby for free but with dog and never know how hot it may be I opted for a spot with 50 amp service so she'll be comfy and safe. So saving ~$1000 on this trip alone to go for turquoise and gems! I hit a lot of trade and gem shows and always come out ahead plus don't ever have to deal with a motel again! Even the best I've stayed at are not "home" which the RV is.

I stay almost full time in RV parks to have access to facilities and my yearly rent is ~$7000. Renting a typical decent place is ~$1500 mo everywhere I look so $18,000 a year PLUS utilities make that well over $20,000. SO I'm essentially getting a free Airstream out of the deal if I stay on the road for 5-10 years! Plus...tax write off since I work from it and am ALWAYS involved with business.

I've gotten it down to 4 months New Mexico mountains in summer and 5 months Arizona deserts in winter with 3 months of adventure in between.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I can't believe I waited for so long to get an RV. I had tricked out a couple vans in the past but only good for a couple weeks before you got cramped or had to land in a friends driveway! :D

I decided at the last minute almost to go to Santa Fe Indian Market next week. Ha! Good luck finding a motel...if ya do...$350+ a night! But my favorite RV park in SF had a space for $65 a night! I'd boondock nearby for free but with dog and never know how hot it may be I opted for a spot with 50 amp service so she'll be comfy and safe. So saving ~$1000 on this trip alone to go for turquoise and gems! I hit a lot of trade and gem shows and always come out ahead plus don't ever have to deal with a motel again! Even the best I've stayed at are not "home" which the RV is.

I stay almost full time in RV parks to have access to facilities and my yearly rent is ~$7000. Renting a typical decent place is ~$1500 mo everywhere I look so $18,000 a year PLUS utilities make that well over $20,000. SO I'm essentially getting a free Airstream out of the deal if I stay on the road for 5-10 years! Plus...tax write off since I work from it and am ALWAYS involved with business.

I've gotten it down to 4 months New Mexico mountains in summer and 5 months Arizona deserts in winter with 3 months of adventure in between.
You are living the life many dream of!

Powdog

Tele-Meister
$325K for a Toyota pickup with a camper shell? Don’t think that will fly. Looks like Toyota is feeling out interest with the nuveau-hippy-sprinter Van Instagram-blog crowd, having missed the E-car boat by putting all their eggs into hydrogen.

Having been an avid backpacker/tent camper for 25 years I could never get used to camping in a box. When we started having kids, my wife and I bought a new Coleman pop-up camper. Still love it. When I retired, instead of a new camper we just got an Escalade to pull it. Plus, living on 8 acres in the Sierra Nevada mountains makes sleeping in the driveway the best campsite ever.
1660144165128.jpeg