1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I consider you guys friends so I'm "Coming Out" today.......

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Jan 31, 2016.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I'm tired of hiding the fact that I love love Boss Metalzone pedals. It's actually one of my all time favorite pedals. Whenever I see a post making fun of it, I bite my tongue and stay quiet. Whenever I see disparaging memes and pics, it hurts me inside. I've even joined in on the "mob mentality" on occasion, just so no one suspected that I was a "closet" Metalzone lover. Now that I'm coming out, I going to scream from the rooftops and let everyone know my love for the MT-2. I will hide it NO MORE!!!!!!!!! I will not hide in the shadows anymore, I may even put it on my main pedalboard, without SHAME!!!!

BTW........mine is a Keeley modded MT-2 :D

Squittolo likes this.
  2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Don't know if we can handle that. Really crossing a line, pal...........:D

Actually, even though it was never popular, I really like my Boss PW-2 Power Driver.

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Wow, guess you really never know.someone do you?

4. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Now you need to try Boss's REAL metal pedal, the almighty HM-2! The MT-2 isnt a bad pedal really, its just that most people that use them set them for that 'can of bees' tone.

5. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Ok.

What is "metal"?

6. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Guess I am the retarded cousin in the attic.....I have an old Uber Metal that I used to love.........

7. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you just haven't found the right tube screamer yet. You've been burned by too many cheap clones. Just hold out for the real thing but please don't do this!

8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saved up the clams and bought myself a metalzone when I was a teenager. Boy, what an awesome pedal for learning and bedroom playing (particularly given the type of music I was into in those days). I wouldn't use one live (but then, I don't use any dirt pedals live) but occasionally I like it on recordings in parallel with a cleaner signal.

What style of music do you use it for, and what difference does the Keeley mod make?

9. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

No shame in liking the metal zone!
    I have an old metal zone from the mid-90s. There are qualities I like about it, but I shelved it years ago. I never turned the gain past zero and even then it seemed almost excessive. The idea of the eq section is great, but poorly implemented, imo.
    I've long considered sending it to analogman to be modded with his normal mods for it, and also to see if he could lessen the gain. Lately, I've been intensely studying the art of building guitar effects and if I can develop some skills in this area, my old metal zone is definitely getting modded. If I fail spectacularly at developing building skills, it will still eventually get modded.

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I actually used a Boss Digital Metalizer for a while, great sustainy Gary Moore blues tones with the gain about half way, also had built in preset delay and chorus. Only made in the late 80's, probably their attempt at building a Rockman type of pedal. It even had stereo outputs!

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Both the MT2 and the HM2 are responsible for some of the most chased and iconic guitar tones in (death) metal history. I don't know why they catch so much flak.

12. NiklasA

NiklasA TDPRI Member

Can you really claim you love something if you have to change it to be satisfied? :lol:

13. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I actually plan on getting a metal-zone and rehousing it in a Klon enclosure so I can show people how transparent Klons are :D I'm also gonna build a really nice, jazzy sounding pedal in the metalzone enclosure to confuse people.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I say live and let live, whatever you need to do, However if start doing rude things to small furry animals, wear a tutu and an innertube, and playing your metalzone whilst wearing one snow shoe, an Ice skate and football helmet on side ways so you can sing through the ear hole, while performing the American Anthem, God Save the Queen, Or Oh Canada, we can no longer be friends.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I played metal in high school, using a metal zone into a 100w ss Randall head, and a Marshall 1960a 4x12. The pedal was given to me. A lot of guitar players were using rack preamps and power amps with claims of general tubeness, but that were solid state. They didn't sound good to me. The scooped out fizziness of the mt2 at bedroom levels really changed at high volumes through a 4x12. I learned that no distortion could be introduced after the pedal, so I could only get an ss amp to go loud and clean enough, but I couldn't afford any good tube amps. At full volume it had a real thump on palm muted chords, and had a smooth enough kind of distortion to track the fast palm muted stuff without losing attack. Years later I found it in a box and tried turning it down to get a non-metal sound. Terrible. It doesn't do that. Just metal. And not sabbathy fuzz metal. 90s metal. It's not for me, but I did think it was cool that keeley was modding them when I saw it all these years later.

16. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Yeah, sorry not a fan but I would imagine the Keeley modified version isn't the same run of the mill Metal Zone.

Back around ten years or so ago I liked the BOSS Metal Core. It was great (for me) at living room volume. Unfortunately I took it to a full on jam one day and at louder volume it just farted out. After that day I couldn't look at it anymore:(.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hmmmm, well you are probably from "that" generation and born to be a metal guy, so I'll let you slide with a pass, but I really thought ... deep down, that you were one of us. I'm a tad disappointed, but I'm sure I'll get over it. :lol:

Now, if you sell your tele ... it would mean much harsher considerations.:D

18. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I have one that I took in a multi-pedal trade against my will. Playing it a few times I was surprised how many different tones it had just with the Metal/Pulverize/Insane switch. The 'Scoop' is kind of cheesy, but for 'that sound' it works. I'm always trying to throw it in as an extra in any pedal swapping deals I do these days. I still have it. :rolleyes:

19. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Metallica on my Tele:D

20. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Warren Haynes used to use one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.