I changed out 1M pots on Nashville tele - nice improvement

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesholyman, Aug 20, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

My Deluxe Nashville Tele came stock with 1M Audio taper pots - why they did this is beyond me, but ok.

I put a 500K linear pot into the volume and a 250K Audio no load pot into the tone, with a .022uF paper in oil capacitor, mostly because I had it available.

The volume now rolls off smoothly as opposed to the sudden drop when stock. The tone is much more manageable - had to travel half way around the dial before I could really tell any roll-off occuring, now it is "almost" immediate after the click/bump (coming out of the no-load stop)

I might consider a 500K audio for tone, but all is good for now. There was a brightness/hardness to the sound before that has been made much better - ever so slightly warmer I suppose - more of a feel of the note thing than really being all that audible.

I think fender should have gone with 500K linear for volume and 500k Audio for tone to begin with - 1M just doesn't make any sense - guess they were dumping parts or something...

bender66 likes this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

What year is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. bluesholyman

dlew919 likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

So is that the new one with the noiseless pickups? Or the older one. I’ve got a 2012 which doesn’t seem to have that issue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I put some Bill Lawrence noiseless in my Prinz copy with the stock 250k pots. It has been recommended within here to bump up that value (500k) to get rid of that blandness i'm feeling from those.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I have a Deluxe Thineline with the same V Noiseless pups and it DEFINITELY needs the 1 meg pots. Maybe the Thineline body makes it warmer than the solid body Nashville, but I wud never consider anything less for mine.

Maybe if you normally run your Vol full, then linear feels better. I usually run 1/2 to 3/4 and find log taper more convenient.

… but it's fun to experiment.

Skydog1010 and dlew919 like this.
  7. bluesholyman

Its the newer version with noiseless pickups.

I do tend to run it wide open for fuzz/distortion. The issue I was running into was that for certain fuzz/od pedals, a very small reduction on the volume knob would all but eliminate the distortion, instead of just cleaning it up some, for pedals that clean up well with other guitars. All roads pointed to an audio taper pot. I guess I could have kept it at 1M and just changed over to linear taper, but 500K was available and ended up being a nice touch.

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Yea, my Nashville is also a 2012 and I've always felt the roll off on the volume knob was pretty darned good. Better than a lot of other guitars I have played.

dlew919 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.