I changed my pedal board around - woo hoo !!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TokyoPortrait, Mar 28, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

This thread contributes nothing of substance to anything at all, but I have nothing better to do, and it has a photo, so here goes.

Just back from a six week break in NZ. Brought home with me a Danelectro ‘The Breakdown’ pedal.

The result is that I culled some pedals off my board (a Donner Boost Killer and my Rat), and now I have just chorus / vibe, The Breakdown, delay, reverb, tremolo, and a looper. In that order, despite how it looks. So, five effect pedals plus the looper. All are in their own loops on my programable loop switcher.

By taking two effect pedals off and only replacing them with one effect pedal, I’ve been able to add the Ditto to a loop, rather than having it separate after the loop switcher as before.

The idea here is to make it easier when playing different song parts in a two piece I’m working on with a drummer friend. By having almost identical programme patches where the only difference is one doesn’t have the looper included, I hope to make things easier for myself. Instead of tap dancing around to turn the looper off and also go back to the rhythm tone from the lead tone, I can hit one button and get a programme with the same rhythm tone pedals and no looper. The theory is I can leave the looper running and isolated and just switch it off / clear it at my leisure.

We’ll see…

Pedal Board 28th March 2020 2-2.jpg

And yeah, I need better, more suitable patch cables.

Pax/
    Dean

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

3. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What's your view of the fender pedals?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I really like them.

I think they are quite practical. For me at least (but I've heard this echoed elsewhere), there are the right amount of practical options. You get a good range of choice and flexibility, but not so much that you get 'choice paralysis.'

I don’t usually use batteries, but I do like the battery door. It’s a great design. I don’t use an isolated power supply, but I keep a couple of batteries in my bag should I need to isolate them. The battery door design makes this really easy.

Overall, I think they sound great too. The last two times I’ve been out playing with others, I’ve used a Twin Reverb and I actually turned the reverb off and used my pedal. The ability to dampen the repeats on the Marine Layer reverb is useful too (really helps when using my enthusiastically bright Vox AC4HW1). I also enjoy messing around with the modulation features on the Mirror Image delay, although it can get unsubtle pretty quick.

The delay doesn’t do those really long, ambient repeats that many digital delays do, but I don’t care about that. Others might though. I do use the big swells on the reverb a bit though, especially when looping.

The jewel lights are really bright, to the point they burn your eyes out. I’ve covered them with electrical tape, but they’re still too bright and make it really hard to see the controls. I’m going to find something plastic and dome like to cover them.

I was slightly annoyed they brought out the TreVerb combined verb & tremolo pedal just after I bought my Marine Layer reverb. Same with the Reflecting Pool delay & reverb pedal (which seems to have usefully refined both the verb and delay), which came out just after I bought the Mirror Image delay. Oh well.

The last time I checked (actually, I checked again just now) and generally speaking, in Japan they are priced a bit less than in the US, which makes them competitive here against the typical other fancy alternatives, which tend to be a little more expensive here. As far as I can tell, in the US a Strymon Flint is only about $30 more than the TreVerb, while here it’s about $93 more expensive. So, that makes the Fender pedals attractive for me too.

I’m thinking of getting the MTG Tube Tremolo, as I’m using tremolo a lot these days and I’d like more choice than the simple Chinese clone I currently use. Just I’d feel self conscious having three Fender pedals on my board. I could sell the Marine Layer reverb and Mirror Image delay and replace them with the Reflecting Pool delay & reverb pedal, but that would lose me the ability to have each in a separate loop on my loop switcher. Decisions decisions...

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    kbold likes this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.