I caved. Everything is streaming now.

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Jakedog, May 7, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I finally caved. My entire recorded catalog is now on all streaming platforms. Here’s a Spotify link, but if you prefer others you should be able to find my stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6uLdUasRtSaroNggiaL59k?si=zp61hDIMQICj-4InmjheQg&dl_branch=1

I’m a singer/songwriter. Most of the stuff is acoustic. My 2014 release “Sixteen Winters” used a full band. Most of the other stuff is simpler. Some of it is just me and the guitar. First release is from ‘03. It was taken from the pile of stuff I wrote in the late 90’s when I was first attempting to learn how to write. Progresses from there.

Hope you enjoy it!

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I found Sixteen Winters on Amazon Music. I'll give it a listen.

getbent and Jakedog like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Decided to go on a diet, eh? :)

anyway, I'm sure it will bring you an expanded audience, if not an expanded bank account

Jakedog and Festofish like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe if we get enough people looping it he can make some actual bucks.

kplamann, SbS, SRHmusic and 2 others like this.
  5. Jakedog

Well, what streaming pays is frankly crap on burnt toast. But as bad as it is, it’s still better than nothing. Nobody buys physical copies anymore. So I went to pretty much all download. Now nobody even wants to do that. All I ever hear is “are you on Spotify?”. It’s the world we live in now.

kplamann, getbent and blowtorch like this.
  6. blowtorch

Crazy world yeah.
    Just last night I was talking to the other guitar player in my latest project, he was telling me about when he paid $100 for a 60s Rick, back in the 80s. And how that was back when he was making real (adjusted for inflation) money playing out, too

Jakedog and SRHmusic like this.
  7. Jakedog

Oh yeah. Adjusted for inflation, I make far less money playing live than I did 30 years ago.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    kplamann and getbent like this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

JD I've always sort of wondered what you're music sounded like, guess I could've asked... LOL! But, now I know!!! I dig your old school style my man, and LOVE the steel in your music! Harken's me back to a day when I was in music city. Refreshing sounds and style; great stuff man! I'm in! Very nice indeed.

Here's a taste on Amazon ya'll

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O5A7PG8/?tag=tdpri-20

kplamann and Jakedog like this.
  9. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

Can I listen to that on my cd Walkman?

10. Jakedog

If you burn a CDR of MP3s, then yes. But batteries are not included. I’ve heard however, that cargo shorts facilitate the carrying of extra sets.

Ronzo, black_doug, Deeve and 3 others like this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

That's not much different than the world we lived in then, which was "is your music available at <record store>?" If you weren't signed by a label and interesting enough to have wide distribution, the answer was almost always "no."

Jakedog likes this.
  12. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

My cargo shorts have Velcro too!

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Jakedog

You definitely couldn’t get into the chain stores. That just wasn’t gonna happen. But I never had trouble getting into independent stores. Whether they bought the copies wholesale, or I consigned them. I got distribution by touring and finding indie stores to put my stuff in. It wasn’t efficient, hahaha, but it was better than nothing. Of course if you consigned, you had to remember to follow up and get your money. Pretty sure I missed the boat on that more than a few times. My record keeping skills are spotty at best. That’s why these days I do the songwriting, and let the accountant do the accounting.

At least in those days people would buy CDs at the gigs. Those days are over. When I do get asked for a physical copy, folks only want vinyl. At the moment that’s cost prohibitive, and too heavy and bulky to haul around to gigs. Not to mention there just aren’t enough people who want to buy to justify it. Everybody just wants to stream.

kplamann likes this.
  14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Like for the music, not that you had to cave.

Ronzo, kplamann and blowtorch like this.
  15. blowtorch

Yeah, I dunno, it's weird but you're right, the resurgance in people wanting vinyl seems to be bigger than anything else one can do with their music. My band The Blowtorches- our small (TINY) distributor had some of our first sales be in Japan, and that was for vinyl- test pressing copies at that. And vinyl is about the least travlel/delivery friendly medium, of course. Hipsters, whatchagonnado

I've toyed with ideas like selling shirts with a download code or thumbdrive attached, but i dunno, it just hardly seems worth the time/effort, as far as what demand there'd be for it

Ronzo and Jakedog like this.
  16. Jakedog

I think if I ever do physicals of anything again, it’ll be thumb drives. Sad but true. It’s not a horrible medium, though. You can put music on it, artwork, even video. You can have them printed with your band logo. People can take them home, download the content, and use the drive for whatever they want. But whatever they use it for, they’re gonna be looking at your logo. As a piece of merch it doesn’t really have any soul, but it is pretty practical.

kplamann, getbent and blowtorch like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

it's kind of nuts. my eldest is 7 and is making playlists on spotify for herself and her knowledge of artists is pretty impressive. she has absolutely no conception of a record or cd, let alone going into a store and buying a piece of music, or a music magazine. probably never will either.

kplamann and Jakedog like this.
  18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

at less than a tenth of a cent per play, it might take all of China listening 24/7 to acquire enought revenue to make the IRS take notice..

kplamann likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I loved the album, "my cargo shorts have velcro, too!" though I found the follow up, "My Velcro has Velcro too!!" to be a bit derivative and broke no new ground. Still its fun to listen to, whilst Re-licing my gear, then restoring it, rinse repeat and wait til someone calls me to supper...

El Serio and Jakedog like this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not a surprise. Everyone expects still to be able to pay 1980s-1990s cover charges to get into the venue.

Ronzo and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.