I can't stand listening to myself most of the time

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
Same here. Listening to myself is like getting punched in the arm.
One thing that helps me is to play obsessively on, or even a little ahead of, the beat. There’s a lag built into the recording process in several places.

Mjea80

Tele-Meister
To the untrained ear you probably did sound awesome. And thats prolly 90% of people so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

If you strive for perfection, then just keep practicing.

And yes I have said a few times, “Im just not having fun with this live stuff anymore” due to an iffy show. But it would never cause me to sell my gear, Id always be a basement player.. lol

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
when i play on Sunday morning, i usually feel/think i've played pretty poorly, but people always tell me how much they liked my playing.

but the last time i played, i was actually pleased with how i sounded and played. i was playing my one pickup Eastman and it was doing pretty much exactly what i wanted it to do.

so obviously, the answer to the problem is to buy more guitars.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
As I listen back to a gig I did this past Saturday, every so often I say, "well that's not too bad" but most of the time I think "man, this sucks". I then think about why it sucks: bad time, poor phrasing, etc, etc. and what I need to work on; it's a long list. :rolleyes:
I know we are our own worst critic but, do you ever think to yourself that you should just not play anymore, sell all your gear and find something else to do?
People were telling us how great and awesome we sounded, etc, etc. but sometimes I just think they are being nice. Maybe I am just being overly harsh on myself but I what I hear is not the same as what they are hearing obviously.

Maybe should I have waited longer before I listened back to the gig.

Thoughts?
I think it's the curse of the artist. I was the same all through my teenage years and well into my 30s. I hated everything I wrote/designed/painted/sketched. I think yes we are our own worst critics and it's that drive for perfection that keeps us going and drives us to keep recreating, although it's a fine line between success and depression. The most valuable lesson I learnt later on in life though was to stop caring "quite" so much, and my musical creative output has been much more significant in volume since then. Quality? Meh what I write and sing isnt for everyone, but I've learnt not to care so much.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
People don't care about that. Musicians maybe do notice, but the audience won't.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I respect that you know what to listen for and are able to self-critique yourself and identify your weaknesses.

I have to rely on the rudeness of others to tell me how bad I am, and they're not shy about it. Spoiler Alert: Trust me, I know I am not Clapton, Beck, or Page, and after 45 years playing, I doubt I will get any better. But, it sure is fun!

Doctor of Teleocity
The world has it backwards, in that the audience is supposed to listen to the artist. Well, they tried all that, but it hasn’t worked out too well. I don’t listen to them anymore, and I used to be one. Even back then, though, I hated the sound of my own voice. I was on to something.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
There are many pros that cannot listen to their recorded stuff once they leave the studio.

It's ridiculously common.
Actors that don’t watch their own movies…
That said, many of us are rooted in cliche or habitual “Licks” that are crap (I raise my hand; guilty).
I record everything. Lousy crap gets deleted. Like that cliche’ rock and roll lead lick lifted from Johnny B Goode and copied badly. Never playing that again. EVER.

tonytrout

Friend of Leo's
I absolutely hate listening to myself when it comes to both playing & singing. Even if I am quite good at singing (if I do say so myself). I just cringe whenever I hear myself, though, and I tell my parents to turn me down whenever they listen back to something I've recorded even though my Mom is very proud of me.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
30 years ago I was asked to be in a band. After learned the tunes I used my hand held cassette recorder at the first group rehearsal. I played it at home and was shocked at how I was rushing the leads and just out of time.
I got out the metronome and started diligent practice.
It paid off.
After we recorded the cd
I was able to listen with satisfaction to my leads.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I got out the metronome and started diligent practice.
It paid off.

I've posted this here before...

This is generally the initial reaction of most experienced players that get a metronome and try it the first time: "There's something wrong with this metronome!"

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
I've posted this here before...

This is generally the initial reaction of most experienced players that get a metronome and try it the first time: "There's something wrong with this metronome!"
I found the click track in the studio more annoying. I've used a metronome since the 80s.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I have just the opposite problem. While I’m in the moment I tend to be super critical. When I listen back it’s almost always way better than I thought...
Yeah, I used to find that too.

At the time I'd be wincing hearing what (I thought) I sounded like but a few minutes/hours/days/weeks later I'd be 'hey, is that me? Cool!'

And as for singing - I can't even bear to listen to myself speak, never mind sing.