1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I can't get rid of my Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 3, 2021.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I like my SG. Feels good, looks great, plays great. But I'm not a fan of the 490/498. They aren't horrible but they're a bit one dimensional for me. They do great bruising rock/blues tones but I have two 57 Classic guitars, LP Trad and 339 and a P90 LP so the SG doesn't see a lot of play time

2. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Here's Bill Frisell with an SG. Of course Frisell can do astonishing things with any guitar.

koula likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I like the feel of my son's Epi SG, but every time I think of getting one (like the new Epi vibrola model) I remember I have my Wilshire, which I like even better. It plays a lot like my son's SG, same slab mahogany body, light weight, high fret access and mine has full size humbuckers. I just installed a Bootstrap set and it sounds terrific. I even added a Bigsby handled Les Trem to get that 60s SG/Wilshire vibrola vibe.
    But if I run into any money, an SG shall be mine!

4. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

He also used flat wounds on the SG. I personally would love to hear him playing with more gains like he used to. His clean tones sound amazing though!

tbp0701 likes this.
  5. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

It's obviously a difference in personal taste, but I love them. IMO when you feed them into a cleanish amp, the 498 is just perfectly hot enough to push the amp over the edge.

I have a 70s Les Paul Custom that I got in the late 80s. I never really loved the sound of it, though. About six months back, I had a moment of clarity and ordered the 490/498 combo I love so much in my SG, and they sound great in my LPC. I like that guitar more than ever.

I also have a Yamaha Pacifica 102 SD (basically a blonde HH Tele copy) that I've never fallen in love with. I'm going to try GFS' standard sized fake "CUNIFE" PUs first, but it those don't work I'm likely going 490/498.

stratoman1 likes this.
  6. musicmand

musicmand TDPRI Member

I'm a Fender guy whose number one is a Les Paul. I've owned two Epiphone SGs in my life, and I could never really connect with either of them. The neck dive is the worst, though the skinny body is also detrimental to feeling the guitar vibrate and feeling connected to it.

...And yet I'm still searching for another one. There is a tone that ONLY an SG can get, even with the exact same pickups as another guitar. Something about that stupid skinny body and center of gravity that seems to be three feet in front of me creates this open rock tone that I simply can't get from anything else. And it doesn't matter what's in the SG - humbuckers or P-90's, the character of the guitar is the same.

7. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

Mine get played a lot, I’ve always loved the tone, light weight body w/full neck access and easier on my lower back as I get older. B2E85591-D5DD-454E-8ACA-DD9F5419545E.jpeg EAB614B5-8042-4C85-9A71-CBC5E71BE1AE.jpeg

Martian, teletimetx and Lunch meat like this.
  8. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

My problem is that I've built twi strats and a tele, revived a basket case 71 LP Deluxe, replaced EVERYTHING on a 2012 SG standard and 2019 Junior (except the pickup) and now they're all my number one. Careful what you wish for. So Gibson bashing? Fender really is a bunch of jerks and their guitars aren't any less prone to bad wood or sloppy work than anyone else.

Zepfan likes this.
  9. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

I have preferred Fenders over Gibsons by and large for the 50 years of my playing guitar. I do have a very sweet Gibson SG Worn from 2017 that has a very flamed maple neck and it plays very nicely. I prefer it over my Les Paul Tribute. But by and large I recently bought a Fender Player Jaguar that just could end up being my go-to guitar. View attachment 828426

10. Henning

Henning TDPRI Member

Just for information the SG 61 guitar was named Les Paul ! It caused a serious discreapancy between Les and Gibson for some years until they took up the original Les Paul agan ! They didn’ even ask for putting his name on it, and he was annoyed.

11. Henning

Henning TDPRI Member

The Gibson head design with the “one-piece- neck” and a heavy design as Les paul is doubtsome design, and quite a lot find the head broken off the neck. Looking at the internet some luthiers make a very fine repair and ends up in a much stronger and more reliable design after repair. They are very skilled craftsmen.

12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2019 SG with ThroBak TTop buckers. It is a replacement for the SG I bought in 2012 that was stolen after a gig. I had that guitar for a total of 9 days!
    The new one was impossibly untenable until the nut was correctly filed.
    Now it's perfect.

13. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I have a Tokai sg clone. Great guitar. Won't be selling it.

14. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje Tele-Meister

I am currently fighting the urge to get an SG. I play mainly blues, mild overdrive, but simply the guitar has an appeal to me.

I do have 6 Strats, 2 Teles, 1 335, 1 LP Classic, but somehow I feel like I need one, although not sure how much playing it would get.

15. Lunch meat

Lunch meat TDPRI Member

We can go around and around on guitar stuff, but the ultimate raincoat is the US Coast Guard goretex parka. Those things are phenomenal, and plain enough not to look like military surplus. My first electric was a Sears mij copy of an SG, so I'm pretty drawn to the shape. One day.

lil scotty and pippoman like this.
  16. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

I had a CS ‘62 Standard reissue. Beautiful guitar and was my 3rd SG...sold it. Stupid mistake.

Never sell!

17. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I’m the same way. I’m a devout Teleholic, but I love my 2009 SG Am Standard. I rarely gigged with it, but plan to put it back in the ring whenever things open back up. It’s under 7 pounds and plays effortlessly, but I play my Teles more. Still, like someone mentioned, it’s a true rock and roll guitar.

And before all the crap begins about headstocks breaking, they don’t do that unless you’re careless and knock it over or drop it. I’ve played Gibsons for 50 years + and never once broken a headstock. Never.

stratoman1 likes this.
  18. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah, but what about umbrellas? I have a made-in-China one I paid only $4 for and it plays better than most USA ones. Just saying.

Lunch meat likes this.
  19. Too Many Guitars

Too Many Guitars TDPRI Member

Every Time I see Let there be Rock by AC/DC I feel like running out and buying an SG. One of these days i won't be able to control myself.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I posted this in another thread about "Les Pauls vs SG's". I found a gorgeous flame top Les Paul with a the slim taper neck and was ready to pull out the credit card but then I checked the weight. It was 10.3 pounds. It was a total buzz kill. The Visa never made it out of my wallet.
    I'd have to do weight training to play a 10 pound guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.