1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I can't get rid of my Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 3, 2021.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an 06 faded special. Not the most desirable SG by most accounts, but it's a fantastic guitar. I constantly say I'm not an SG guy; I'm big, and guitars without substantial weight are generally off-putting. That said, I absolutely love my SG. It's a dang rock n roll machine. I recently lowered the 490 R/T pickups and adjusted pole pieces for string volume balance, and it really opened up the sound. It will still do heavy, but with the right amp settings it achieves almost single-coil clarity. Made the guitar that much more usable to me!

I got it for a deal I couldn't pass up from a bandmate friend who told me it had to be mine after he heard me play it at band practice one day. I will never sell it. The sentiment alone that my buddy thinks it is in good hands and was meant for me is reason enough to keep it forever. I just hope I can make some music with it someday that the world will hear and possibly love.

Matt G, Flaps, gm1cusnr and 6 others like this.
  2. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Quoted for truth. The question always comes down to how best to get humbuckers. I've had a couple Les Pauls and a G&L Invader, and a G&L Superhawk (both tributes). In each case I ended up selling the guitars because they just didn't feel right. I am still in search and one day may get an SG.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Beast! That dude is the real deal.

brother aldo, lil scotty and MilwMark like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. All perspective. But I think I can say confidently that if I had a gun to me head and had to choose only one electric guitar to play for the rest of my life, it would be my Les Paul.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with that. I've given up on trying to get everything I want out of one guitar - it's just not possible. I've got Teles, Strats, SGs, and just recently a PRS SE.

Here's my#1 SG:

[​IMG]

In Tampa, NiteGoat, Flaps and 8 others like this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Damn. I love SGs. Gary Louris and Jeff Tweedy probably put the idea in my head subconsciously.

I now have 2. Don't ask why.

- 2020 SG Standard in red. I added a Vibrola (probably subconsciously because Gary has one). 7 lb even. With the Vibrola. Plays and stays in tune great. Has Duncan Antiquities. Nice neck. Maybe .85-1.0. Perfect taper.
    - 2020 SG Standard in ebony. That one got a set of Brantley humbuckers. Bright and Chimey. Almost like Phat Cats, Tele single coils and Antiquities had a love child. That one got a Bigsby B7. Maybe 6.5lb if that. Almost identical neck.

No real reason to have both. I had traded into a third vintage Tele. Decided that was foolish. Held it till conditions were right. And pounced on a trade.

I'm fortunate, and a bit lavish. Also have a 2008 LP Classic that weighs 7 1/14 lbs and plays and sounds great. Wonderful slim taper neck.

I like that @Jakedog - guitars don't know what kind of music they are supposed to be playing. Totally agree. The differences and "guitars for genres" idea is overblown. Most are associated with a genre only by accident and in hindsight.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Matt G, Michael M., E5RSY and 3 others like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Without having read anything other than the tagline of the thread, I’m going to suggest that you quit letting it back inside the house at night. It’ll eventually understand and go find a itself a new home.
    And whatever you do, don’t feed it anymore!

teletimetx likes this.
  8. MilwMark

Oh, as an adjunct to my rambling post above - I've never been one to believe Gibson has QC problems or makes anything but really playable instruments. But the 2020s I've picked up seem even a smidge better than their typically high standard.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Never even occurred to me to try to get rid of it. For maybe 12 years, it was the only electric guitar I had - and for that same time, I had a crappy old Goya flattop and this '85 SG. It survived my daughter's short stint in a punk band and around 2005, I swapped out the neck humbucker for a P-94. It has the wide headstock from the mid 80's.

I'm still pondering which words to use for a custom poker chip/pickup switch label:
    Biscuits/grits
    verde/rojo
    cream/cheese

there was a thread awhile back with some other great suggestions; guess I should look that up.

IMG_0624.jpg

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. MilwMark

I'm sure there is a name for them that I don't know. But I love those smaller rectangle inlays.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

need/want

12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I have a '92 SG Special. Installed a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers and it's one of my favorite guitars.

I hate to admit it, but it sees many more gigs than my 335. Just a great playing and sounding SG.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

tony iommi - Bing images

there's why you must own an SG. extra points if it's a leftie.

i ordered one of those monkey decals, but it never arrived. just wasn't meant to be

surf_jimi and duzie like this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

My SG plays super sweet, melodic country-folk. Don't know if it's the mini humbuckers or all that mahogany, but it's such a pleasing tone - - with some punch included. Diametrically opposed to Angus Young (not that there's anything wrong with that).

My #1 is a Tele, my #2 is a Strat, but I could never let this SG go.

15. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

Well done. For my money, epiphone beats current Gibson fair, even without the price difference factored in.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I should have been more clear. No one else is demanding it's exile but I've been thinking I just don't need it and should get rid of it.

Yes. As I said I've through Les Pauls, a 339 and have tried several 335s. In fact, although this SG sounds very good, I've thought about replacing it's humbuckers. I'd like the neck humbucker to be slightly less dark and the bridge to be slightly less bright. The ones on my 93 Les Paul were awesome.

:lol: It's like gum stuck on my shoe or a dog that keeps following me home. Maybe if I don't tell it where I am going. It is indeed a first world problem.

17. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I have an Epiphone G-400 that my wife gave me several years ago. I bonded with it much better than my Les Paul. The wide SG neck is really unique. The size and weight makes it a favorite to play sitting down.

It’s probably just me but I have to recalibrate about 2 frets because of the small body and the easy high fret access.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I've been trying to find a deal on one, but it seems that SGs are hot right now. It is like the pickup truck market. People are asking for greater-than-new prices for used ones (not vintage)...o_O

19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I went through an Epi G400 and a Gibson faded that were OK but didn't do much for me, before finding my 2016 SG Standard. Even with the stock pickups everyone says you're supposed to hate, that thing just works.

Yeah!

Gary's a phenomenal player and never gets enough credit for it.

MilwMark and lil scotty like this.
  20. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

I have the same guitar but ‘05. It’s been a great workhorse guitar. When I visited the Gibson factory in Memphis circa ‘07 (since moved to Nashville I believe), I played some of their higher end models that they had in the show room and was pleasantly surprised to discover that in terms of playability and sound, my lowly SG Special Faded felt and sounded just as good as guitars that were 4x the price.

I’m also glad to hear you tweaked the 490’s because while they sounded pretty good separately, the combination of the two on the same guitar never sounded right to me; the T was too thin while the R was boomy in comparison. My amp’s EQ could never reconcile the difference in tonal qualities. I ultimately swapped the T for a SD Distortion (ceramic) and kept the R in the neck. Now, the guitar sings in all pick up positions and they’re much better balanced in terms of tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.