1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I can't get rid of my Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 3, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

As much as Gibson bashing is a popular topic, I cannot part with my 2019 '61 SG. Sometimes you just need the sound of a humbucker.
    I owned a very nice '93 Les Paul Standard (should have never sold it) and a gorgeous flame VOS R8 Les Paul but the neck was uncomfortable to me. Both had glorious tones. I tried an ES-335 but I just didn't like the size of the body. Eventually I found this SG nearly two years ago. It was one of the first offerings of the new regime. I was impressed.
    I keep thinking I can get by with Tele but every time I do a side by side comparison it's obvious that the SG offers something the Tele can't deliver IMO. Plus, it comfortable and extremely light weight. The neck is the slimmest I've seen from Gibson in the last 5 to 10 years.
    It's never going to be my #1 or even #2 but it still has its charms.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just purchased a new Epiphone (Inspired by Gibson) SG in heritage cherry. FedEx is tracking delivery for tomorrow. I’ve been without an SG for years and I hope this scratches the itch. Can’t wait!

Maguchi, Flip G, Skydog1010 and 5 others like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I tried out an Epiphone ES-339 recently and I was very impressed with the quality. I never thought I'd like an SG but I do. Hope you get a great one!

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Same, I have an SG special from the early 00s, that I’ve had since then. One of the gloss ones, before all that faded stuff. I don’t have much use for it these days, but it always gets used as a live guitar for heavy projects. I was about to sell it last year, and when I saw a lot of them were fetching around 500 bucks, it was just not worth it. Too many memories, and too much utility. I can’t say I find it super inspiring, but it’s just such a workhorse. I still have to figure out how I’m going to get it over to this side of the pond, but I can’t part with it.

JBurton, Flaps and CaptainCrunch like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

It's a good arrow to have in the quiver

Maguchi, JBurton, In Tampa and 5 others like this.
  6. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I just wish they weren't soooo ugly! (In my opinion)

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i don't see anything in your post that says anything or anyone is demanding you get rid of it.

the SG is the only pure rock and roll guitar, out of all the "classic" designs. no guitar star i know of has ever used an SG for anything but rock, blues rock, or blues (i know i've seen photos of Buddy Guy using an SG). also metal. no jazz, no country that i've ever seen.

so keep it. you'll need it sometime.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Everybody needs some devil horns in rock n roll. \m/

pippoman, Deathray, Mark617 and 3 others like this.
  9. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

As much as I love my teles, I really enjoy my SG !

10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Names escape me right now, but there are a couple of country pickers back in the late 60s or early 70s that used them rarely. One of the cool things with the vibrola + wrap tail ones is you can run most of the strings through the bridge and then use the vibrola on one string as a reverse B or G bender.

11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have a Les Paul Studio that is in no way typical of what I go for in a guitar (other than being a classic design), but is also not going anywhere.

It's sort of like a rain coat. No one really especially wants to have one, but you need one sometimes, and you're really glad you have one then.

Although Les Pauls are admittedly more fun than rain coats.

BUG80 and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I had one of those. Wasn't my favorite. I sold it to in favor of an acoustic guitar.

8barlouie likes this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i had a really good SG Std that i stupidly sold to raise money for a les paul that i ended up not liking as well as the SG. so if you have an SG you really like, keep it. IMO, they will cover every humbucker need that comes up.

Maguchi, fos1, Straydogger and 4 others like this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Bill Frisell used a 70’s SG as his main guitar in the early 90’s.

Nahtabot, fos1, davidchagrin and 3 others like this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Last time I saw Lucinda Williams, her guitarist used an SG for almost the entire show. It struck me then, that I’d never really seen one used for that type of music before. But it sounded wonderful. Which just reaffirmed my long held belief that guitars don’t have any idea what kind of music they’re “supposed” to be playing. An SG is on my short list. It’s been too long since I had one. I’ll definitely be using it with the country band. But then, I used to play a Flying V in a classic/alt country band.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I can live without a raincoat. I hope I never have to live without a Les Paul.

Deathray, Esquire Bob and blue17 like this.
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

For the record, I'm good with that. Some fabulous stuff has been done on an SG, including early Clapton, Betts, Santana, Angus Young, etc, etc, etc. Humbuckers on a Gibson have some sounds a Tele or Strat don't have (even with humbuckers). (And vise-versa, of course).

18. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I had nothing but my Strat for over 12 years, no I'm used to certain hardships ;)

Though as far as hardships go...

Jakedog likes this.
  19. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I have an cherry red MIK Epi SG that I'm not playing much right now... but every time I get rid of an SG, I wish I'd kept it.

Then again, if I came across a comparable big-pickguard, P90 model though...

Jakedog likes this.
  20. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

37D892B2-FEE2-426C-B9E6-2D67FE4E2E97.jpeg This is my guy: Gary Louris of the Jayhawks and his 1968.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.