I can't believe the prices on telecasters recently

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Not sure I recall Fender walking back prices in recent years/decades...

2. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Where are the bodies and necks made?

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

While on the subject, few good deals came up on ebay and reverb but just not for me for certain reasons. A mint sunburst Baja 50s with rosewood board, not pau ferro for $800. I'd jump on it but reading posts about them theres one here about weight and almost everyone with the baja quoted thiers as being around 9 Lbs. Weight is a deal breaker for me....i need 7.5 or less or i won't be happy, so that one is out since the guy could not tell me the weight. His reply sounded like he's covering for a very heavy tele. And 9 Lbs? No chance in hell. So i can't risk that one.

Second, there's a great deal on a MIM classic 60s for $700 with FENDER HSC and 64' bridge pickup and seth lover neck. Not for me, as i don't want a routed body and it's CAR and my thinline is CAR, a color i'm just ok with and i was willing to live with when i found a incredible deal on my thinline. But this one because of the color and with a routed neck slot is just asking a bit much. I am still considering it but barely. Weight is not bad tho at 7 Lbs 11oz and it would lose 2 Oz to be at barely over 7.5 Lbs if i lose the humbucker for a regular tele neck. So thats a plus. If it were white or burst and not routed i'd have pulled the trigger 2 seconds after getting his reply about the weight. Hopefully that will happen eventually so i'm holding out for that.

4. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Yes the MIM Teles are way up too. For what you used to pay for one you have to get a Squire now. But I have to say that some of the Squires now seem almost as good as the MIJ first gen.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That and groceries!

6. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Well, a lot of gripeing, whining about prices. When the economy starts dropping prices across the board let me know. Read some history. Inflation has been going on for thousands of years. It's just how it works. Even if you bought a Tele, as stated above, over the years the prices go up. I feel "real Tele's" (IMO) run from the late 40's to late 60's, very early 70's. When US makers started to tank in the 70's most manufactures chose to have a second/third tier guitars in their lines. Basically cheap guitars came about because the guitars could be made to "look" like the "real" thing and more people would buy them. I think the vast number of cheap imitations/copies will go up in price as well as the in house manufactured ones. I'm not prone to buy new guitars and fortunately I've pretty much got what/more than I need. My suggestion is to buy used. I'm 74 and I've cruised the ad's for years and I know there are still great deals out there. If you buy a quality used instrument it's a good bet it will inflate and the price will go up. All that aside, I had a goal early on to get certain instruments over the years, which I have done (and gotten some killer deals). Get something you like and play it till you really know if you like it or not.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I'm always surprised too. I always thought that part of the appeal was they were no frills, unbreakable, dependable, and affordable, like a Honda Accord. Wait, are Accords sill affordable? Haven't looked in ages.

8. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Not sure what it's like elsewhere but here in the UK the prices on 50s Baja's have gone mad.
    I've seen them going on eBay for £750 on a good day.
    I've been after one for a while as I foolishly sold mine years ago, so have been keeping an eye on prices.
    I guess it's a combination of the Covid effect/Baja's being discontinued and no more ash bodies in the main, but £750 is crazy.
    I jumped on one for £550 a couple of weeks ago and apart from it weighing a ton, I got a good one. It's a 2008 and looks like it's never been played, it was literally mint, but it still hurt paying that much.

oldfartatplay1320 likes this.
  9. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Luckily there's inexpensive, I've played nice sounding MIM and MICs even though some from Fullerton are king. Same with Olds trumpets, regarding Fullerton.

10. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

Warmoth makes real nice necks and bodies and if you can find what you want on their "Shop In-Stock Guitar Necks and In-Stock Guitar Bodies" pages there are usually some real good deals. Go to warmoth.com and across the top of the page you will see Guitar Necks - Guitar Bodies - Bass Necks - Bass Bodies etc.. Click Guitar Necks and a drop down menu appears. The bottom option (green color) is In-Stock Guitar Necks. Follow the same steps for Guitar Bodies. There's a roasted maple neck w/Indian rosewood fingerboard on page #1 right now for $222.00. There are two roasted alder solid standard tele bodies routed for pups and drilled for tele bridge on page #1 for $245.00 each.

Musikraft makes real nice necks but they stopped making bodies.

Have fun.

11. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Fender has sold more guitars in 2020, than any other year in their history. Almost half of the buyers are women. I'm sure the Covid-19 epidemic has been a factor in this. I know I have a lot more time to woodshed, though I wish I was able to jam with some my buds.

InkStained likes this.
  12. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

Welcome to the new age of natutal capital scarcity... if it's made from ecosystem service flows the prices will only go up from here. Why? There are too many people vying for too few items, and there is not enough quality natural or human capital to meet the demand. Supply chain damage may heal, but this story is here for good now. Enjoy your guitars, just understand that you're going to pay more for anything of quality going forward (and inversely you can expect to sell your quality guitars for more as well). Cheers.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Agree, love my "eskwyre" but even homebrew is expensive for quality tonewood that doesn't weigh a ton. I see raw Tele and Strat bodies over 5 lbs being touted as "light weight!"

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

The bodies of all three of my partscasters are well under four pounds — two alders and an ash. Two are one-piece bodies. The guitars were still a HELL of a lot cheaper than buying a new Fender!

15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There is so much wrong in this post, I don’t know where to begin.

But I will ask “Where do you think Fender tuners are made?”

S2 tuners, tailpiece and electrical components are made in Korean. The exceptional wood is stored & aged in Maryland. The finish, fret material & nut are all made in the US. It’a all about craftsmanship & continual improvement.

I’ll take an S2 over a PRS Core any day (and I have 3 times so far). The main reason is the body bevel is more ergonomic than the Core’s deep carve.

As for getting an SE over an S2? I have 5 SEs and 3 S2s. The only reason to get an SE is if there isn’t an S2 version of the same model. The aged wood used in the S2 guitar is much more resonant — its apparent unplugged. For those of you with open minds, give it a try and you’ll see.

But this a Tele forum, so back to the show.

16. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I can’t believe it’s not butter.

17. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Yes, it's rosewood fretboard Teles today (and other guitars with rosewood fingerboards). And swamp ash bodied Teles tomorrow (and other guitars with swamp ash bodies). Good idea to buy a guitar with both a rosewood fretboard and swamp ash body now, because prices will probly go up.

18. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Since this is about expensive teles there is a 2016 maple MIM in denver on Craigslist for $375 (not mine) just saw it, got a little bit of rash on the back but suburst looks good

Maguchi likes this.
  19. iancain123

iancain123 Tele-Meister

I can barely give away decent gear here in western Washington. I have a mim 50s strat and a blues deluxe for sale at VERY reasonable prices and never get any interest. Priced well below anything on reverb and eBay. Eventually I suppose ;)

20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Really? They're still at $700 for a new MIM Fender Player Tele, no gig bag? I paid $699 for mine on March 15, 2020 just barely after Covid hit (also no gig bag). I thought that was a lot of money for a MIM Tele then. Surprised the price hasn't gone up yet. Yes, I believe that's the replacement for the Made in Mexico Standard Tele. Very good guitars out of the box (I modded mine a little). And I agree they are pricey.

Btrscotch Tele.jpg

Colo Springs E likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.