1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I can't believe the prices on telecasters recently

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Nov 14, 2020.

1. willie.g

willie.g TDPRI Member

Interesting thread, especially the "corona effect" discussion. Whoda thunkit?

Any ideas on what I could get for my '94 MIJ Rosewood "George Harrison" in very good condition? I haven't played it for many years. I looked into selling it a while back but chickened out.

2. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Exactly!

3. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I also read several weeks back that sales of musical instruments, especially stringed instruments, are up 300%! I’m glad I already have what I want. Those 60s American original Teles went up $400 in less than a year! I bought one new for $1400 shipped with shipping, but that ain’t happening now.

4. stephendevine77

stephendevine77 TDPRI Member

I’ve made it a habit to purchase Fernandes Strat’s and Tele’s over the years and have accumulated quite a few from the 80’s and 90’s. They’re cost effective and usually with a little adjustment able to play great!!

Thorne and Deed like this.
  5. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

In the UK, an Am Pro was around £1100 in 2017. The Am Pro II is £1500. Insane.

Used market is stupid. People trying to get 80% + of new price. Saw a guy advertising a CV Precision for £290 - they're £320 new. I'd pay £30 for that warranty.

That said, it will be interesting to see if there's a glut of secondhand stuff post-vaccine.

mojek and Thorne like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I remember in 1990, the new MIM Telecasters were going for $299. Today, they are $699. But back then, I was also paying $0.99.9 for a gallon of gas in California.

mojek and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  7. Bilgerat31

Bilgerat31 NEW MEMBER!

As far as original cost is concerned, inflation. I'd sell my 88 Alvarez-Yairi 12 string for no less than $1800. Yeah, original price when I bought it new was like $800. $800 in 1988 translates into about $1800 now. Technically that's the same price. My 83 Telecaster that I bought in 87 is also for sale but again, I can't let her go for it's original price. Everything's for sale at the right price. I couldn't let them go for less than the heartache if I did.

SRHmusic likes this.
  8. trusin

trusin TDPRI Member

Correct, it is ALL guitars and gear. There was a good write-up in Vintage Guitar mag on this topic recently. I personally/selfishly was looking to the 1 bright spot in an economic downturn, which is deals on gear, like in 2008. Unfortunately, that has NOT been the case this time. The fact that people are held up at home, is forcing players to snatch and hoard guitars. All the premium vintage guys, Rumbleseat, Well Strung, Normans, etc are crushing it right now. Whats really crazy is the demand/price for rare and custom color teles. Since they didn't do many of them, they vanish immediately when they show up anywhere.

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

I hear ya. A few weeks back I submitted a post that criticized the prices of today on Teles, etc (and all guitars really)...I complained that there should only be one model Telecaster that comes in maple or rosewood neck and a few colors just the way it was back in the mid-1960's through to 1970. Back then Bob Dylan could buy the same Tele you or I would buy and at the same price. What I got back in the majority of reply posts was that the younger buyers of today thought it was okay for a tele to go for $2000. They were fine with the con job of "artist models" and "super duper deluxe models" that jacked up the price to over $2000. They said that the $150 I paid for my '68 Tele WAS EQUAL to the $2500 one may pay now. I say it was easier to earn the money back then. Jobs were plentiful and teens could get jobs easily. At 19 I was able to scrape up the $150. Now, well beyond those years...scraping up the $2500 is harder. But I do not live off my credit cards. I still say it costs the same money to build a pro guitar as it does to build a cheapo material wise and component wise. I am not talking about the relative costs for labor and the orgs that control those costs. Just components and materials. The real calculators in the physical sense.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    SRHmusic and greenhornet like this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Or even US manufacturers. A PRS S2 Vela satin semi-hollow is significantly cheaper than a Pro II Tele.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  11. croth

croth TDPRI Member

My comment is not intended to be politically partisan but is a generalization, so please don't take it any way but that.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2020 are 9.81% higher than average prices since 2015 (roughly 1.96%/year).

If that had any meaning for us in our 'real world', that example MIJ Tele used as a reference should only have gone up about $68 to $748 over the 5 years.

The Bureau 'adjusts' its inflation figures by taking out items that they think will skew the results and, in doing so, they actually skew the results so that they become meaningless. :)

12. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I do think the pandemic is causing people to take up hobbies, including music. I know it had something to do with my picking the guitar back up. I do think there will be a flood of second-hand instruments once people start getting out again.

I'll be waiting...

trusin likes this.
  13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

It's true that it's not only teles, but i wouldn't say EVERYTHING is way up. Look at CVs...still cheap and only up a little. Same for many lower end MIMs. The new 2020 epis are great. I paid $375 out the door recently for a TV yellow P90 special that i really can't tell from the gibson counterpart as far as quality tone and play ability. Even the MIA modern type fenders like performers and such are still at prices that resemble what they have been for years. It's the more sought after stuff thats thru the roof....MIJ hybrids and 62's, classic series MIMs, etc. And in large part the ones with rosewood necks. The maple equivalents can be had for a few 100 less. A lot of this is definitely related to the new use or rosewood on higher end stuff only, ay least as far as the sought after stuff like AO's and other reissue and mod-reissue types.. You can't even find a fender rosewood neck, and if u do it won't be anywhere close to normal prices.

trusin likes this.
  14. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Like i said earlier, the exact same MIJ tele i bought new from japan in 2014 for $680 is now impossible to find for less than about $1300. Thats certainly not a $69 difference. Classic series were about $800 when they were new with a RW board and now the desirable colors are usually around $1000-1200. Like i said above, it;s the desirable models that are talked about on all the forums most and models that have rosewood boards especially, and we're talking huge increases as much as double. .

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Call it marketing, or trending, or fashion, whatever, the fact is people want Fender guitars and the demand pushes the price. You can get non-fender guitars for a song.

Yeah, but there's two of them:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 10.19.47 AM.png

16. stueycaster

stueycaster TDPRI Member

Back when I was married to my crazy ex and had no money for equipment l still found a way to get a used Tele. It was a used 62 reissue Japanese guitar. A great guitar except for the 2 on 1 threaded rod bridge saddles. It was impossible to intonate it properly in the high notes. It's OK because I'm a big man and always struggled with fitting my big fingers on the neck. I still don't play well above the 12th fret. But after 50 years of practice I do good enough over the rest of it.

The guitar cost $425 in 96 when I bought it. The guitar is still going strong. It made me a lot of money. I played it for 30 years. Now my son is playing it and he loves it. What I'm taking the long way around to say is, there's nothing wrong with getting a used instrument and getting a ton of use from it.

What can I say? I'm an old man who likes to tell stories.

Grateful Ape and SRHmusic like this.
  17. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I live in Jacksonville, Florida and there are about a zillion pawn shops here. I have gotten some incredible deals. Yes, I think the prices of guitars has gotten into the "stupid" range... like a Gibson Les Paul Custom for $4,699... that's just bullship pricing... or even $2,500 bucks for a Les Paul Standard... bullship...

But by frequenting several of the local pawn shops, and having knowledge... 1) About brands, 2) about what the prices should be 3) knowing a scam when you see it (false branding, fakes, etc)

So far in the last couple-three years I've acquired

- 2018 - Fender (MIM Classic Player Baja Tele - $300 (mint) ($825 new)
    - 2018 - Fender American Elite HSS Strat - $675 (mint, w/ case and candy) ($1,800-1,900-ish new)
    - 2012 - Epiphone ES-335 Dot - $200 ($449 new)
    - 2011 - Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue - $200 (mint) ($400 new)
    - 2011 - Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro w/ Epi LP Hard Case - $150 !!! ($630 new w/ case)
    - Mackie ProFX22 Mixer - $125 (mint) ($700 new) (lightly used in a children's church)
    - 1980-something Peavey USA Bandit 65 1x12 combo - $75 (very loud)
    - JHS Bonsai (9 tube screamers in 1) - $100 (mint) ($229 new)
    - PRS SE Custom 22 - $280 ($789 new)

I'm an old guy, disabled, live on a petty $783/mo. the Social Security folks piss my way... no way in hell I can afford some of the prices Gibson, Fender, Paul Reed Smith, Suhr and other are trying to bilk the public into paying. When I pay $150-$200 for a guitar that normally sold for 4x's that much new, I figure I am getting over, and I have a sort of warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I think the favorite deal I found was the Elite HSS Strat for $675. The Noiseless pickups sound different than standard Strat SCs. They are a bit warmer and maybe a bit more output. I tend to buy guitars with special switching of some kind. If its a humbucker guitar I prefer some push/pull for coil split. The Epiphone Nighhawk Custom I have has 3 different types of pickups, an angled HB in the bridge, a SC in the middle and a mini HB in the neck. Then it has a 5-way switch, and the tone pot is push/pull to coil split both the beridge HB and the mini HB in the neck. all for $200. I have no complaints.

But the Elite HSS Strat is something I would never have bought at $1,900-ish. That's just beyond my grasp considering how many other guitars I could have for that kind of money. Its got an ebony FB, locking tuners, and switching with the S1 switch sends it into sonic overload, haha... plus a push/push switch by the tone pots that cuts off the tone controls and sends it directly to the humbucker, no tone controls... just raw HB... olympic pearl with a tortoiseshell PG... I still don't think the pawn shop knew what they had, LOL... lucky me

It might be a sellers market... and after Covid is done f-ing the world, all the folks who pay too much for guitars now are going to be hating it when the used prices drop off the map... I have a couple guitars I have bought new, but under $1,000... My usual is to buy used and let some other clod take the 30%+ depreciation as soon as they walk out of the door...

I agree with what somebody said, with eBay/PayPal dipping into your pocket for 13% of your price I don't even go to eBay for anything anymore. Unless its a cheap lawn mower part, haha. Craigslist has become a hover home for folks who expect flea market thrift store prices on stuff... if I post one more add that says "price is firm" and some ass-wipe emails me with "what's the lowest you'll take"... I'll scream.

Reverb has come in to its own. If I want to check a price on something used, I beeline it straight to Reverb. Plus some of the folks selling on there have some really cool stores with used stuff. I've scored some really good deals on pedals off of Reverb. I tend NOT to buy guitars off the Internet. Its too easy to get a dud. I have to sit in a shop and test drive a guitar before I'll buy it. Pedals have much more consistency so I can do pedals online. But still, I like to hear them in a store first.

Its actually a great time of human history to be an electric guitar player. Guitars, amps, pedals, there has never been so many choices in all of time. The quality of entry level guitars today compared to the 1970s is light years beyond. The quality of the Mexican Fenders has increased but I don't think double or triple the price is correct. In 1998-ish I bought a Mexi Nashville Tele for $450 new... The new MIM Deluxe Nashville Tele is now $825... (I bought it anyways, its a great guitar... 3 Noiseless pups and a 5-way... weeeeeeee) LOL

FYI -- If you want a better Craigslist experience, go to the Craigslist outside of your local area. I like to see what's cooking in Nashville, Tennessee, a very active CL... if you see something, ask them if they'll ship it if you pay shipping... Same thing for other major cities... But trying to sell on my local Craigslist is just stupid... people think the Craigslist is either a flea market or a thrift store as far as what they think you should be asking for prices.

Good luck to all, and no we don't need to pay these ridiculous prices the guitar makers are asking. When we answer with our wallet, it hits their bottom line and maybe things will change. Or the whole system will blow up, manufacturers will be stubborn in prices, they all go bankrupt, and all we have is used stuff after that... LOL.

DADGAD, SRHmusic and Deed like this.
  18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Buy used.

Better deals, better gear, less depreciation.

That wasn't so hard!

mojek likes this.
  19. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Better milk it while you can, once the market is saturated and the “Rona” is no longer a fad you’ll be able to buy some of these guitars on EBay and CL for a “song” :D

mojek and gregulator450 like this.
  20. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Yes. This.
    Anything "desirable" lately has seen a huge spike in asking prices. I'm not sure if people are actually paying those prices, but it's a huge shift from just last year. Thankfully, my Strat didn't sell last year when I tried to sell it. I had it on OfferUp for a very reasonable price, and people still hemmed and hawed over it. Finally I took it down. Now, the same Strat I have is listed on places like Reverb for three times what I was asking a year ago.
    Look at any early 80's USA Kramer guitars. Their prices have absolutely gone through the roof. A Baretta is about $1,500 - $2,000 now, whereas a couple years ago you could get them for around $400.
    Crazy.

Dismalhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.