I can t seem to pour my heart out

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by johnny k, Oct 12, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I didn t grow on a plantation, nor whatever bad sides on a bad neighbourhood. When I see bluesmen pouring their heart out, it reaches to me. I just can t do it. All the songs i write are fun, but i d love to write one good blues song.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You first need to get a nickname like Lightening boy, then find a old man called something like Blind Dog and do some travelling with him down to the crossroads.
    The heartache and life experience gained along the way will make it possible to play the blues. Wearing a fedora will help too.

3. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Sounds like you just need to accept that you are a happy, fun loving person. Deal with it.

4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

The world needs fun songs. I like that. Don't change you to fit the music, change the music to fit you.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sell all your possessions, quit your job. After a few months or years that great blues song you yearn to write will come to you.

Alternatively (and what may be easier) .... read some books of life and hardship. This may get the creativity started without actually going there.

Experience it or visualize it. Decisions, decisions.

johnny k likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

in my experience, there's basically 2 types of blues songs: the lament and the boast. so if you can't find anything you want to lament over, write a song bragging about how big your ...feet... are.

size does matter in the blues. see, for instance, Howlin' Wolf.

7. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

DEAL with it!

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Boognish and Pixie-Bob like this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I wished ther wer some heartbreaks or or anything.... i ll just keeep those for m".

10. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

That beats "Fulsom Prison Blues" any day.

johnny k likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I feel your pain.
    I can’t pour mine out, either.
    Life’s too easy/sweet/beautiful.
    I hate to admit it, but I just don’t have the blues.
    I sleep well, got no hellhounds on my trail, no evil woman, no taste for poison whiskey, and though trouble sometimes finds me, it gets bored and moves on to someone else fairly quickly.
    I suppose I could solo endlessly with a minor pentatonic blues box, but everyone knows how tiring that can be for both the “boxer” and the audience.
    Oh well, boo hoo.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite songwriters is a British guy named Nick Salomon, who leads a band called the Bevis Frond. I read an interview with him years ago where he talked about his songwriting process. When he started out playing, the fashion among young British cats was to emulate American bluesmen. He said he couldn’t really relate to lyrics steeped in the southern African American experience, so he started writing songs about his own experiences- London, the changing of the guard from his parents generation to his, and of course, the perennial favorite, girls.

What are the things you think about when you’re not thinking about music? Write about that.

telestratosonic and johnny k like this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

well, Mr. Johnny K, I don't know the first thing about you. But, most folks have enough common sense to be thankful they weren't born on a plantation, or the wrong side of the tracks, or whatever hyped up notion makes you think that will somehow embue you with how to sing your way out of prison.

Leadbelly did it twice. First, you'd have to end up in prison. Not recommended, as in never. I'm pretty sure you're not Leadbelly, he dead.

You come from the land of Victor Hugo, Les Miserables, no?

Are you saying you were born over a hundred years late?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/favorite-video-games-moments.982127/

But from the link above, I'd say you're spending too much time indoors, looking at screens. Cut it out. Unless you want to write "Video Games Blues", but seriously, if I have to ever hear another version of I Ain't got the Blues Blues, Ima be burning up somebody's guitar. FTS!

Get out. Get another job. Get two of them. Hey bartender! Who are you? What are you doing with your life? Sometimes it's just a phase.

Eric frickin' Clapton solved a similar dilemma by trying to be J. J. Cale. It kinda worked for him. Serious cool.

You don't always gots to pour your heart out, but you do have to be serious cool. Not likely to happen playing video games; but it is happening out there in the world, your part included. It happens by doing stuff, going somewhere not knowing why or when or if you'll get back.

who is that girl? didn't she break your heart? If your heart hasn't been broken, you're not trying.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, so your life is happy and fulfilling aside from the fact that you have not suffered enough to write a ‘Blues’ song, right. So...there is your cross to bear. Write a song based musically in the Blues idiom but you’re expressed sorrow is that you are simply too happy to be down. It could very well be that it could turn out to be your most enjoyable ‘fun’ song.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm too emotionally bottled up to express serious personal problems in song. While I could imagine things that other people would probably relate to, that strikes me as insincere.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

To paraphrase a great quote about show business ..." Once you learn how to fake sincerity, you've got it licked ..."

Dr Improbable and Digital Larry like this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

There's a lot of wisdom in this.

Not relating this to the OP in any way, but I did see something recently about young people today being less social and less likely to be active with the opposite sex than previous generations. The article concluded that this was a result of the combined factors of general social isolation due to the internet and social media, and the fact that kids today aren't taught how to deal with anything less than instant gratification- the fear that the pretty girl might say "no" when you ask her out seems insurmountable. There's got to be a blues song there somewhere.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

let’s get it started...

‘I am so insular, baby,,
    That I just can’t feel you.
    Being alone’s no problem
    And misery is unreal too!

Why can’t I suffer
    The way other’s seem to do?
    Why do I never have to recover
    From being eternally blue?

I’ve got these too happy to live Blues,
    To happy, too happy!!
    If Heaven ain’t better than this,
    What do I have to look forward to!’

that’s all I have. Feeling that fortunate just brings me down, man!!!!
    Eeeeehaw....beautiful Saturday here. I am going to forget all of my travails and do it the Johnny K way!!!

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So being happy and fun loving is giving you the blues! You got it!

Wally likes this.
  20. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I thought about this concerning springsteen that didn't dare to sing about love at 26 so he gave "because the night" to Patti.

I did dare to sing eg. about love as a teenager, sometimes in front of an audience who new the story behind it and new the girl I was singing about.

Maybe it was easier for me because i was known as the worst pupil that ever sat foot in a swedish school (six times suspended and once expelled from the school system). Whatever I sang wouldn't define me...only ad layers?

Or mayby I'm just hard and soft at the same time and always loved songs where people lay it all out on the table. So i just continue in the same tradition.

So I write about love, how I cried when my dog died (inspired by a fellow member) my parents divorse...it just comes naturally to me.

But the simple funny song works best. More so if the song are new to the audience.

But it doesn't always have to be about you. We write with our empathy. Bruce wrote about his sister and her husband in "the river". He saw them and had the empathy to put himself in there shoes.
    I truly believe you got to have a above avarage abilty to feel empathy to be a good songwriter.

But I also have my suspicion about white guys playing blues. I've been to so many bluesconcerts where the band just don't care about the audience. Doesn't notice when the audience applaud and when they don't.
    There is a reason that every brittish bluesband evolved as the concerts grow longer than 20 minutes.

Hope it's ok to write this deep. But this is something I thought hard and long about.

PS esp. countrysingers pour there heart out without ever had to pick cotton (I know Cash did).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.