I can see the Moon in the sky this morning!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Badabing, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Are their any astronomers out there???

It is 11:15am in San Diego and I can see the Moon in the sky! I just asked my wife to look as i thought I was losing my mind and she can clearly see it too!

What is going on???

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm not an astronomer, but it's pretty common up here in the Canadian prairies. I'm sure the astronomers in the crowd will give us the proper explanation. Till then, don't worry...

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Medication time ♫ :D

Attached Files:

4. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

Youv'e never seen the moon in the daytime before? Do you ever look up in the sky? (Hint: It's the thing above your head.)

How old are you? Six or seven? Aren't you too young to be married?

Oh, I get it, this is a joke. Well...Keep your day job.

On the off chance this isn't a joke:

A very common misconception in astronomy is that the moon is directly opposite the sun in the sky. In fact, the moon is only in this position for a single instant in the whole lunar month: the exact time of full moon, when it is 180 degrees away from the sun. The rest of the month it can be anywhere from 0 to 180 degrees away and, at least in theory, visible in the daytime sky.

At full moon, the moon is exactly opposite the sun. This means that the moon rises just as the sun is setting, and sets just as the sun is rising. This is also the only night in the month when a lunar eclipse can happen. Even so, eclipses normally happen only one full moon out of every six; the other times the Earth's shadow is either too high or too low to touch the moon.

Two things contribute to the moon being visible in daylight. First, it is bright enough that its light penetrates the scattered blue light of the sky. If you're looking at exactly the right spot with a telescope, you can also see the planets Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter in daylight, plus a few of the brightest stars (though few casual observers can actually pull this off). Secondly, the moon must be high enough in the sky to be visible.

Because of the Earth's rotation, the moon is above the horizon roughly 12 hours out of every 24. Since those 12 hours almost never coincide with the roughly 12 hours of daylight in every 24 hours, the possible window for observing the moon in daylight averages about 6 hours a day.

The moon is visible in daylight nearly every day, the exceptions being close to new moon, when the moon is too close to the sun to be visible, and close to full moon when it is only visible at night. The best times in the month to see the moon in daylight are close to first and last quarter, when the moon is 90 degrees away from the sun in the sky.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. waster

waster Tele-Holic

I hope this is a wind up

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Maybe we're just getting ready for that supposed October 2012 Mayan calendar end of the world?

(I wish they'd found the next page of the Mayan calendar that had November on it, too... sigh!)

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Moon is VERY sneaky and tries to hide behind clouds during the day. When there's no clouds it just stays REALLY still, not even breathing, but sometimes we can see it anyway.

8. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

colorado
    Man you can be a bit rough at times....wow!

I guess I have been just busy enough not to "look up at the sky" and see the moon during the daytime. I guess being only 6 or 7 years old I didn't pay much attention:eek:

9. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Thanks for the condescension and talking down to us.

10. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

If you live under a rock there is a good chance you have never seen the moon during daylight.

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

What scares me is when I can see the sun at night.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe he's a lunatic? :D

13. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

colorado
    Man you can be a bit rough at times....wow!

Sorry, but I thought this had to be a joke.

It's like someone saying "Hey, last night I was checking out my girlfriend's private parts and I noticed she doesn't have a penis. Totally freaked me out. Are all women like this? I mean what happened? Did someone CUT ALL OF THEM OFF!!!!"

So I had to think it was a joke, especially after you said you told your wife and she didn't just slap you up the side of the head.

I mean, come on it is pretty funny...

"It is 11:15am in San Diego and I can see the Moon in the sky! I just asked my wife to look as i thought I was losing my mind and she can clearly see it too! What is going on???"

Well, it's obvious! They moved the moon! Now if only we could figure out who they are!

Alright, I'll stop. I'm just digging myself further in the hole. Believe me, I have said similar things in the past as my wife would gladly recount for your amusement. It's all in fun.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  14. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Just as an aside, the moon orbiting earth is what causes tide changes, if the moon only came out at night then high tide would only occur at night. High tide occurs about an hour different each day, which is the same time difference the moon has in appearing in any place in the world. So the moon will appear nearly an hour later tomorrow. The moon coming up and going down has to do with it orbitting earth, not to do with the earths rotation, which causes day and night.

15. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

Waster,

No. It is the Earth's rotation that "causes" the apparant moonrise and moonset. Same situation as the sun (the Earth rotates once a day). The moon orbits the Earth every 28 days (about). That's why we can it a Month (Moonth!). If it had to do with the orbit as you suggest, we would only have one moonrise and set a month. We have one each every day just like sunrises and sets.

16. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

From the Newlyweds...

"Gentlemen, What will your wives say when asked, In your neighborhood -remember this is your neighborhood- does the sun rise in the East or West?"

17. Nick JD

18. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

... C'mon, EVERYBODY knows that: sneaky ol' Moon ain't as smart as it thinks it is! :rolleyes:

19. Nick JD

20. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know how one ever sees the bloody thing, as it's all dark really... innit?

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.