I can say this now: The Vox AC4C1-12 is a terrible amp.

McGoldTopp

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the unbiased review!

I kinda thought the 12" speaker in that little cab would be a bit much.

I have the 7ender pro jr, Vox AC10c1 and the Marshall SV20c with the 10" speakers and I'm very happy with them.

you probably saved me a few bucks by not buying the two ac4c1's that are on the local CL now.... but they look cool.... one is red, one is green....

maybe an 8" speaker would have been appropriate for the AC4.....

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I'll be the odd man here and say that I like mine. Stock was fine but I removed the back and it opened up the low end a bit. It's also a stiff speaker that needs a bit of time to break in.
I drilled two holes in the chassis so that I could move the transformer in mine to accommodate a different speaker (the transformer prevents the installation of speakers with larger magnets), and swapping out the speaker made no difference. Opening the back will likely yield better results.

ficelles

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I goofed on the thread title. AC4C1-12. This one. It's an amazing LOOKING amp.

View attachment 1025480

Personal taste, but I have to say that reminds me of an old aunt's luggage :)

I like my little AC4TV, but only since I fixed the excessive hum. It has no perceptible low end but then it's a 6" speaker in a tiny box. Great amp for sitting on the sofa jamming though.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Personal taste, but I have to say that reminds me of an old aunt's luggage :)

I like my little AC4TV, but only since I fixed the excessive hum. It has no perceptible low end but then it's a 6" speaker in a tiny box. Great amp for sitting on the sofa jamming though.
Funny you should mention that - when I was gigging with us, our drummer kept telling me it looked like a 1960's flight suitcase for a stewardess.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Funny you should mention that - when I was gigging with us, our drummer kept telling me it looked like a 1960's flight suitcase for a stewardess.
That sounds EXACTLY like what a drummer would say. You could have skipped mentioning “drummer” and we’d all still know it was either a drummer or a roadie.

Dizzydre21

TDPRI Member
Someone mentioned it, but I will second the fact that removing the back of an AC4 really opens it up.

Of course mine now has a Jensen P10r in it and a Fender champ head sitting on top. I think the AC4 guts are on a shelf somewhere in the basement.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I bought the AC4 with 8 inch speaker years ago. It was positively the worst amp I ever owned. That says a lot because I had a Mesa DC8 (I think) that I purchased around 1997 or 98 ish. It was absolute garbage. It rattled, spit and was flatulent. Honestly, I had boutique Champ clone from Victoria that sucked badly. (Plus the their customer service was awful). It made me realize that amps like a Champ and AC4 were not for me. The Mesa was just a mistake on any level.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
No experience with that amplifier. I played an AC15 on Sundays for quite a while. I really liked it. In a mix, the mid-high tilt sounds fabulous. I dont believe a 4 watt amp would work in a mix in any capacity.

I think that when we play at home we play a fairly full range sound..which when in a mix isnt the move. When recording, or playing live, i usually notch out anything below 100hz and everything over 8500.

Thats the frequency which matters.

xStonr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Vox AC4 was a Vox amp gateway drug for me. I started with that, then a AC10C1. When that didn't do I traded the 10 and now have a AC15C1. So far I'm in a holding pattern as I upgraded the speaker to a Blue and it sounds stellar.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Coming in late here. Another thread hidden by time zone differences.

..to make it clear that nothing with "AC4" in the name is going to have adequate bottom-end.

Not everything with “AC4” in the name. As others have mentioned, the hand wired AC4 (AC4HW-1) is more than adequate. I’ve played both side by side (the ‘regular’ 12 inch speaker AC4C1-12 & the HW-1) and the HW-1 is miles better than the regular one. That’s why I own the HW-1.

It is a bright amp. It is a loud amp. It doesn’t have much headroom, but maybe more than you’d expect. It does edge of breakup fantastically. It sings when pushed. It’s glorious when pushed. It sounds superb with Teles with traditional type pickups, Teles with TV Jones Classics in the neck and late 50s styled LPs. All of this I know. All of this is subjective.

Nothing subjective about the price difference though. That’s why I own a secondhand HW-1.

at home, we like really great full range tones from our amps, but in a live setting with bass, drums, keys(?), the guitar is a mid-treble instrument, otherwise it won’t cut through the mix

I’ve never used my HW-1 out of the house. I’m really curious to see how it would go at a practice or jam, if it would hold up in a low volume setting, etc. Because, tone wise, I think it might just be fantastic. But the realities of living in urban Japan mean I’m taking the train (& a bus too, often). So, nuh.

Pax/
Dean

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Hi.

Coming in late here. Another thread hidden by time zone differences.

Not everything with “AC4” in the name. As others have mentioned, the hand wired AC4 (AC4HW-1) is more than adequate. I’ve played both side by side (the ‘regular’ 12 inch speaker AC4C1-12 & the HW-1) and the HW-1 is miles better than the regular one. That’s why I own the HW-1.

It is a bright amp. It is a loud amp. It doesn’t have much headroom, but maybe more than you’d expect. It does edge of breakup fantastically. It sings when pushed. It’s glorious when pushed. It sounds superb with Teles with traditional type pickups, Teles with TV Jones Classics in the neck and late 50s styled LPs. All of this I know. All of this is subjective.

Nothing subjective about the price difference though. That’s why I own a secondhand HW-1.

I’ve never used my HW-1 out of the house. I’m really curious to see how it would go at a practice or jam, if it would hold up in a low volume setting, etc. Because, tone wise, I think it might just be fantastic. But the realities of living in urban Japan mean I’m taking the train (& a bus too, often). So, nuh.

Pax/
Dean

This is how the conversation went when I took my Homebuilt AC4 (Top boost and EF86 channels ) to band practice ( w/8" Weber Blue pup):

Drummer:

"That amp sounds great, but can it get any cleaner?"

My answer:

"Not at these volumes!"

I took my homebuilt AC15 w/ 12" Weber Alnico Blue Dog to the next practice.

I also took the AC15 to the next gig. This is the conversation with the sound guy:

"Wow, that amp is really loud! How many watts is that?"

"Fifteen."

Sound guys seems confused, "How loud is it turned up?"

"Three."

Sound guy is more confused and asks if I can turn it down so that he can mic it, so I put in in triode mode ( 6 watts output ).

It did sound pretty awesome that night.....

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
Similarly my AC4TV did nothing but harsh treble. It now lives with a friend who is selling it on himself, for the same reason. It was basically unusable; lesson learned, don't judge a book by its cover...or an amp by its Tolex!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Vox took their design cues from this...too bad they didn't copy the sound too because it's better.

Not a fan of that amp.

HAR!

Window-Fan-Vox-AC4.jpg