I can say this now: The Vox AC4C1-12 is a terrible amp.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
So what are you rocking now, OP?

For a small 1x12 combo I really likes the Egnater Tweaked 15. Lots of great features and just a great sounding amp for the money.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
So, in my infinite wisdom, I figured a Stage Right 1x12 15w combo from Monoprice was about the same size as one of these. It is.

Vox 4w AC4C1-12 - 16x17x8
Monoprice 15w/1w 1x12 - 17x17x9

So how does the low end compare to one of those? I can't see that little increase in size making a huge difference... I mean, I've always thought my Monoprice 15w had plenty of low end response. Could 1x0x1 inch size difference make that much difference in low end response? The 15w/1w has the same Celestion Seventy80 speaker, as well.

Off-topic sort of...

Speaking of break-in, my Monoprice 15w took a while. But it's because I don't play loudly very often. The crazy part is I knew the moment it hit that point because it immediately sounded remarkably better, imo. It now sounds like I was hoping it would sound right out of the cardboard box. So I'm quite satisfied with my little MP15.

/off-topic

Last edited:

Clayton Bigsby

TDPRI Member
Port the back panel, swap the output transformer for a Classic Tone 40-18031 (same as I use in tweed Princeton). Alnico speaker. And get some Mullard RIs. Done. View attachment 1032157
What is the nature of the tonal difference changing out the transformer….I’ve got the AC4W HW…with NOS 60’s RCA 12ax7’s & Mullard NOS EL84…. ( nice difference)
Have been wondering about a “Cream”….

cocoboudin

Tele-Holic
I have the Vox ac4bl whit a 10’’ speaker and it’s a very good amp not my n’est amp for sure but a great amp. I heard lots of bad things about is partner whit a 12’’ speaker and it’s whit i chose at the Time to buy the ac4bl whit the 10’’ instead

Long Tom Cash

TDPRI Member
I just recently got an ac4c1-bl after seeing one on Craigslist. The color matches my Traynor ycv15 blue and my subzero 10” cab that has a g10 gold. The amp came with EH tubes. Having some spare tubes, I did some iterations of various tubes and currently have a jj 12ay7 in v1, jj ecc83s in v2 and jj el844 power. I also tried a 5751 in v1. I did’t hear much difference between the various gain tubes in v1 just got more headroom as the gain went down. Nor did I notice much difference with other tube brands. I replaced the vx10, which looks similar to a tube 10 I have, with a g10n-40 and am thinking about trying a vt-jr. I am liking this amp though not as much as my Traynor. This amp has not been modded so I will probably do the volume cap mod.

Last edited:

sigalaboon

TDPRI Member
Had a AC4 not the 12" model didn't care for it. Had a AC 10 i liked much better.
I had an AC4-12 for a few years and was never satisfied with the sound. I traded it for an AC10 and played them side by side. The AC10 was so much better sounding that I would NOT recommend the AC4 to anyone. Just get the AC10 as it is a great sounding amp, not as heavy as the AC15, and isn't too expensive.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have an AC30 and a Night Train and they’re both great amps. Just not with a conventional Tele.

At least IMO, some pickups and amps just don’t mix.
I can't comment on those amps, but I can with a Vox AC 15 C1. They sound fantastic with a conventional Telecaster. Not exactly the Fender clean tone, but a great sound, nonetheless.

Teledelphia

Tele-Holic
I have a DeLisle Nickle Box which is based on the original Vox AC4 circuit (including an EF86).
The Nickle Box is also 5 watts with a 12" speaker (Eminence Pvt Jack) and has tons of low end and is very full sounding in general with a more than reasonable amount of head room for a 5 watt amp. I think the biggest difference (along with the DeLisle being a hand wired, hand built amp with top grade components) is that the DeLisle has a full sized 20"x18.75"x9.5" solid pine cab. None of the "boxiness" or lack of low end associated with most low wattage combos. Sounds great with all my guitars and maintains and brings out the best in the unique tone of each guitar I have; Fender AM Pro 2 Tele, Gretsch 6116 PTV w/ TVJ Powertrons, MIJ Edwards Les Paul clone, Hallmark 65 Custom (Mosrite style).

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
If it hasn't been mentioned so far: The modern AC4s are nothing like the vintage ones, very different circuits.

TonyClark

TDPRI Member
I had an AC4-12 for a few years and was never satisfied with the sound. I traded it for an AC10 and played them side by side. The AC10 was so much better sounding that I would NOT recommend the AC4 to anyone. Just get the AC10 as it is a great sounding amp, not as heavy as the AC15, and isn't too expensive.
When I got my AC15 C1 (with the creamback speaker), I tried it side by side with an AC10. The 10 had nice sound and I loved how light weight it was but that's where it stopped.

I didn't like the AC10 digital reverb sound and although the 15's original reverb tank was too "boingy" for me, it was about a 15 minute swap to put in a tank that I love. Also, I love the onboard Trem that the 15 comes with. I like to be able to just plug in and play instead of running through pedals all the time. As for the weight, it's heavy but it reminds me that I need to stay in shape as I get older! :D

palethorn

TDPRI Member
I have an AC10C1. While the amp sounded good it had a lot ot treble, didn't take fuzz very well. So I decided to clip the bright cap, and it made a difference. Amp became more mid focused, which I like. It always had a loads of bass. Can't say much about AC4, but you could try to clip the bright cap. There are some instructions around the internet about how to do it. You can also try a different cab.

Maui Blue

NEW MEMBER!
I have the AC4C1-12 and bought it for very low volume practice and recording. I swapped the bad sounding Vox 12" speaker with a Peavey Sheffield I had laying around. Helped somewhat with low end and tamed the highs a bit, but nothing like plugging it into a 2x12 cab. One thing to remember is that a single EL84 will never get you a ton of clean headroom, specifically bass. Yes it's heavy for a 4 watt amp, but I play it a lot. Does the 'authentic edge of breakup' thing at very low volumes. Gotta have a reverb pedal.

TonyClark

TDPRI Member
I have the AC4C1-12 and bought it for very low volume practice and recording. I swapped the bad sounding Vox 12" speaker with a Peavey Sheffield I had laying around. Helped somewhat with low end and tamed the highs a bit, but nothing like plugging it into a 2x12 cab. One thing to remember is that a single EL84 will never get you a ton of clean headroom, specifically bass. Yes it's heavy for a 4 watt amp, but I play it a lot. Does the 'authentic edge of breakup' thing at very low volumes. Gotta have a reverb pedal.
Just add reverb and it's a great little bedroom jam amp! (not sure how much room there is in the 12" speaker model)
AC4-Back-Reverb-Inside.jpg

Last edited:

Long Tom Cash

TDPRI Member
My VT-Junior (used) arrived the other day. Other than the power handling, the specs for the VT-Junior are similar to the specs listed in Celestion catalogs (2006-2015) for the now discontinued G10N-40, but there are several noticeable differences in their construction. I don't know why the specs for the G10N in the catalogs don't match the specs on Celestion Legacy website or some other info sheets I've seen. I was surfing the web for an AC10C1 after seeing a blue one for sale and noticed that this is the stock speaker for the "Limited" edition while the VX10 seems to be standard in all the other colors/models including the blue.

I swapped out the G10N-40 for the VT-Junior and it may have made a slight difference. I didn't record my AC41C-BL with the G10N so all I have to go on is my poor memory. Just to see if a cabinet change makes a difference, I replaced the 8 ohm G10 Gold in my blue subzero cab with the 16 ohm G10N (according to Celestion website and catalogs its frequency response chart is similar to the G10 Gold's) and wow! what a difference when running the speaker out from the AC4. The bass and low mids are much more noticeable. My 1/3 open back blue subzero cab is only about 1" deeper, 3" wider, and roughly the same height as my AC4. I had tried running the AC4 through a Weber MinMass to the Gold using the MinMass as an impedance matcher, but I don't know how good a test that is or how the MinMass might color the sound. I am still liking this amp and am contemplating putting it in the rotation of amps that I have taken to work, which currently consist of my modded PF10 and a Traynor DG10 that I have been rotating various 8" speakers with.

I used to own a Vox NightTrain Gold cabinet I got from Goodwill to use with my Vox PF10 (I installed an extension jack on my PF10 among other mods) or my PF15R, but in the end it just didn't work for me. I also used it to test some 8" and 10 "speakers I was wanting to try with my other amps. Like my Vox AC4C1-BL the NightTrain cab came with a VX10. Every 10 I tried in this cabinet did not sound as good as they did in a larger cabinet. The 8's sounded just fine (I used an 8-10 adapter). I had the same problem with my '83 Fender HRII where the speaker is mounted off center to the right and the cone is partially blocked. I was thinking about upgrading the speaker but every 10 I tried sounded compressed and nasally but when I put the same speakers into either a large cheap cabinet for 12's that I used to own (I used a 10-12 adapter) or my blue subzero cabinet, and using a wiring harness to connect the amp to the cab, they sounded good, even the original Fender Eminence speaker. The only difference was the cabinet.

Based on my experience, I think Vox should have either built the AC4's with deeper cabinets or they should have used smaller speakers like 8's for the AC4C1 and and 10's for the AC4C1-12.