I called the police, would you have called the police?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I walk up to strangers freely but I'm also fine with calling the police for even the smallest reason. Keep in touch!
I called them for an old codger sitting in the Post Office and they gave him a ride home.
Cops are there to help and can do se better if connected to the community by citizens who cat like cops are people too.
Again though, I would have waved to the guy and walked over in less than an hour, unless he was busy on his phone or obviously moving and well.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
At my house, smile for the camera....

ringcamera.JPG

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Why not ask him if he's ok? I did that once and when I approached the car it became obvious that he was a plain clothes police officer who was waiting for something to happen on a nearby block. Still, its your neighborhood and bad guys don't like people to notice them.

Years ago I was walking into a bodega to buy drugs, on a hill so two steps up to the door.
Some asshat stepped into the doorway but stopped there, so I tried to go to his right and he blocked me, then I tried to go to the left and he blocked me again.
I was kinda busy and annoyed, then the guy who obvioulsly didn't work there said Can I help You?

Looked up and saw a bulletproof vest with DEA in big letter across the front.
Hmmm.
Stay off the dope kids!
(Some bad guys don't give a rats ass)

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a spiritual person and sometimes wonder if it's a messenger saying hello, in so many words...

I'm curious to know what would have happened if you knocked on his window.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I called the police, would you have called the police?

I got home from the office at 4 o’clock. There was a car in front of my house, an SUV. The engine was running the lights were on, and there was a short old man sitting still in the car with his head against the head rest. He wasn’t doing anything wrong he was just sitting there in front of my house. This is really unimportant but I bought a new microwave today at Best Buy because my microwave died. It took me about 45 minutes to move the new microwave in the house and haul the old microwave out to the dumpster and go back-and-forth. After 45 minutes the guy was still sitting still in the car with the engine running and the lights on. Then I brought some groceries in and the guy was still sitting in the car. Then I took some trash out from the kitchen and the guy was still sitting in the car. The dude was sitting there for an hour with the engine running and his lights on and he was absolutely still.

He was not a neighborhood guy. The elementary school school bus pulls up to my corner and I have 25 kids standing on my corner every morning. Many of their parents will drive them to the corner and I know their cars because they park around my corner to take the kids to the bus.

At the one hour mark I thought, I hope this guy isn’t sick, I hope he didn’t have a stroke, I don’t know what’s going on.

I called the police and I said this gentleman isn’t breaking the law but I’m a little worried he’s been sitting with his engine running and his lights on and he’s absolutely still and he’s been in front of my house for an hour. I actually called the cops and I’m not an uptight person by any means and I’m a live and let live guy but I’m looking at this guy and he’s just sitting there.

I call my mom every evening when I get home from work because she’s almost 90 and I care about her and I called her. I called my mom and describe the scenario. Three minutes later I get a call from a woman police officer in a cruiser and she said I’m at your corner and there’s no car there and I looked out the window in the car was gone in a couple minutes when I called my mother the guy Musta drove away.

Hit me hard, was a goofy for calling the cops? I didn’t feel comfortable approaching the car and wrapping on the guys window, I really didn’t know what to do, I just thought it was kind of freaky. Did I overreact? What would you have done if it was your house?
I would have approached the car and rapped on the window.......

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ll admit that it scared me. When I lived in Milwaukee for 20 years we only had 10 drive by shootings per day. Some dude in a running car who wasn’t moving just scared me. I’m not a big tough guy. I just thought that it made more sense for a cop to tap on his window rather than me. It made me frightened. Some car just sits there for a long time and didn’t know what to think. I didn’t know what to do. The female receptionist at the non 911 line at local police was very kind. That’s what I did. I’d still love to know where he vanished to.

My nearly 90 year old mom said. Drunk....sleeping it off. Stay away from the car. You don’t know what you you don’t know. I don’t look for trouble.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I would have pulled up a lawn chair in the front yard, sit in it and read a magazine .... all the while stealthfully keeping an eye on him.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
I think you did the right thing. At least you did something; a lot of people these days would have just looked the other way.

I personally would have tapped on the window and asked him if he's ok, but everyone is different. I might have started a fight, who knows.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I would have knocked on the window BUT that is easier said than done in every situation. I don't think your did anything wrong in calling- ignoring the situation and doing nothing is the wrong call