I call my new guitar the tele killer...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ben smith, Jun 20, 2021.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

even though this dano is made out of cardboard it's one hell of a sweet guitar. it's pretty much everything I would want in a guitar, light as a feather thin with a thin neck, gosh I love it, and that sound man wow. setup was atrocious out of the box but now the action is extremely low which is hard to achieve on a lot of guitars, and low is where I like it. it's not without tiny issues though, like a couple of off centre fret dot markers and a bit of cream dust particles in the brown binding but I forgive it, and I can't say it's worth that much money. sorry tele but this is the best guitar I have owned in my 30 years of playing, of course you both do different things but the chime of these 50's lipsticks man is hard to beat. after being unable to write music recently due to life we are all having to live at the moment and being a new parent, blah blah life story no thanks! I have now made two complete tracks, this guitar is truly inspiring, it's not even the music I would normally make but the chime is turning me indie pop? I love it! please clap your ear lugs around the tunes if you want - - IMG_20210617_194112_069.jpg

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone who knows me knows I’m all about the Danelectros, but Tele Killer? You could break down a castle gate with a Tele, but if you hit someone over the head with a Dano, they’d probably laugh at you. :D

Glad you’re liking it, there is nothing like them. And, it’s one of the few things that got reissued without spoiling the recipe.

3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

hahaha break down a castle gate with a tele, light is nice though lets be honest...

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

When I read the title, I was already thinking 'Dano', before I opened the thread.......:D

I was playing mine, the other day, through a good old amp and thinking, 'This thing needs to go to band rehearsal'. When that happens- and it didn't, last week- maybe it'll be a rival to Teles. In the meantime, it's another killer sounding house guest, which doesn't earn it's keep.

I liked your songs. Amazing, how a new gear combination can inspire new ideas and directions, isn't it?

IMG_20200410_113246041_HDR.jpg

tintag27, telejnky, Blister and 6 others like this.
  5. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Your songs were cool! I need to check out a Danelectro. I have always thought they were goofy toys. Perhaps I was wrong.

6. Dan German

Maybe they are goofy toys, but maybe there’s not a thing wrong with that. I’ve had my goofy toy for 36 years, and it plays better now than ever.

7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Danos are sweet! Body wood isn’t important for sound only sustain/resonance. Tone is Amp > effects > pickups > strings > hardware > pick > wood. This lip stick tubes are low output and actually capture your playing in much better detail than a high output would. Cool tunes and welcome back to playing!

Fendereedo and ben smith like this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, until you need to beat an unruly stage rusher into submission, like Keef in VA in '81. I shudder to think what would have happened had he been playing anything else.

nojazzhere and ben smith like this.
  9. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 58' U2....all men should have one...
    20131225_021853.jpg

RJ

10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I meant no offense. I have never played one. I have never had the opportunity. I just got the impression they weren’t that good. But now I want to check em out.

11. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Enabler

Fendereedo, ben smith and Dan German like this.
  12. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    “if you hit someone over the head with a Dano, they’d probably laugh at you.” I don’t know why but this is very funny.

Fendereedo, ben smith and Dan German like this.
  13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

They are cheaply made. Edges pieced up from 2x4 lumber, Masonite top and back. But it all just works. Fun guitars.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve heard that one big difference between the originals and the reissues is that the original pickups are hotter. Any opinion on that?

Fendereedo, ben smith and rjtwangs like this.
  15. Dan German

Oh, I know you didn’t. I’m actually proud of the Flimsy Yet Mighty rep of the Danelectro. I enjoy the surprise when people find the sounds they can get from them that can’t be found elsewhere. Try one. New or old, it actually doesn’t make that much difference. There’s good to be found in either.

Inexpensively made. Nathan Daniel’s genius was not in cutting costs for costs’ sake, but in finding ways to make affordable instruments that still brought tone to the table. Leo Fender did the same thing with the Telecaster, Nathan Daniel just took it to another level.

dan1952, richiek65, Blister and 4 others like this.
  16. Dan German

My experience agrees with that, but it’s not a day/night difference. As I understand it, there are three reissues (broadly speaking). The first, made in Korea, I have owned two of, and they were great. The second, made in China, I have played but not owned, and they were good but not great. The current series is made in Korea again (AFAIK) and they are as good as the first, with hardware improvements and some new designs.

Fendereedo, ben smith and elihu like this.
  17. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

these pickups are very hot, different from the jimmy page type model I owned once, 59 NOS?

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

GAS:oops:.

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Love it! ( sorry for huge pic)
    20200505_183343.jpg

20. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Danos are some of the coolest looking guitars ever

I wish I liked their tone more

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.