1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Built a Particle Board Telecaster (and Compared it to Swamp Ash!)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Cody_J, Jan 25, 2021.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Cool video. Is that a roasted maple neck? Have any of us considered that maybe the tone lives in the neck?

Edit:. I'm kidding, but that is a really nice looking neck. Nice playing too!

Cody_J likes this.
  2. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Haha! Thank you so much. Also, while you're kidding, believe it or not a few people made this exact comment in other places for real. I actually plan on making a video where I'm just swapping out necks in a similar way at their request.

That said, yes! It is a Warmoth roasted maple neck. I think they look great, and I wanted to see how playing an unfinished maple neck like that felt. So far, I'm a fan.

bendercaster likes this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Come on, Fender loves to re-use the names of amps.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wonder if the difference would be greater through one of those lovely tube amps.
    My only piece of digital modeling gear is old and may have not been so good when it was new, but it definitely doesn't convey some of the more subtle characteristics that vary from guitar to guitar.
    I suspect the differences would still be negligible through a TV front Deluxe, but I'd be interested in finding out.
    Very cool project.
    Thanks for that.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And...I would definitely be considering sanding that chip board body down and shooting some clear over it, just for fun.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

7. strat a various

But it's relic'd!

Deeve likes this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Thanks for sharing the project Cody.
    To my ears the difference was negligible through headphones. I appreciate all the effort you went to for this comparison. Great playing by the way.

9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Never forget cardboard:

Deeve likes this.
  10. strat a various

Old Danelectros were Masonite .. there's some tone-wood.

Anacharsis likes this.
  11. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I thought it looked familiar. I just put a roasted maple Warmoth neck on my parts caster, and I am a big fan too. It feels great, it looks great, and maybe it even sounds great.

12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Great video and great playing, thanks for sharing!

Now, make a fully hollowbody guitar out of OSB and let's put that configuration through the test :D

I really am curious about that, videos like yours show the results for solidbody guitars, but acoustics and hollowbody electrics might be different since their bridges are so much more "active". Could it be the material? Could it be the construction method? Let's see some science on that! Sounds like I have a date with YouTube tonight o_O:lol:

13. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

but . . . could you have planed it?

i'll just see myself out.

14. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

And you made a better guitar... from OSB. Much better sounding instrument!

What about sustain?

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

You will definitely need a lot of coats of high build primer to get a good finish on your particle board tele;)

16. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Holic

Well well well, whodathunkit?

To begin with, I couldn't hear any difference. The more I listen though, the more I am convinced the OSB sounds livelier.

Not just brighter as some have said, but actually a richer and more interesting tone all round.

The Ash one sounded slightly flat by comparison.

IMHO, liveliness is exactly what you want in a Tele.

So, I prefer the OSB. :eek:

17. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

The only true test to tell the difference is the blind test. You let listeners know what they are listening too and they will pick what they think should sound best. I'm sure there were subtle differences, I barely heard any, but if there were any I'd chalk them down more to the tiny minute changes in set up, hardware and construction then magical tonewood.

Brillig likes this.
  18. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

Remember this day .... Cody_J .... the tone wood myth slayer, will go down in history.

19. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Brian May's guitar. Its body is made of block board (basically scrap)

20. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

To me at least your two recordings prove that the whole idea of tone wood is nonsense. The general mechanical properties of your particle board and your swamp ash body are close enough that your guitar sounds the same with either.
    i believe that tone wood is a marketing gimmick. It attaches magical properties to specific wood species. Swamp Ash sounds like this .... Mahogany sounds like this .... and so on.
    The only thing that matters as far as the construction of a guitar is concerned, are the physical properties of the materials it is constructed from. The density and stiffness of the body are probably the only two things that matter and these can vary over quite a wide range (as wood naturally does) before there is any noticeable difference in the sound of the guitar. Where confusion arises is that each wood species has a natural range of physical properties. For example mahogany generally has a lower density and stiffness than maple. This is where the tone wood myth .... this wood sounds like this .... comes from.
    Over the years luthiers, particularly for acoustic guitars, have settled on the choice of certain wood species, typically mahogany for the neck, spruce for the top and rosewood for the sides, for a variety of reasons but mostly for the mechanical properties (although this is often obscured). What goes unacknowledged is that, going back into the past of European luthiery, a wide variety of materials has been used because they were locally available and had the required mechanical properties.

Anacharsis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.