1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Built a Particle Board Telecaster (and Compared it to Swamp Ash!)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Cody_J, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Hey everybody! Just like the title says, I build a telecaster body out of subfloor-grade OSB particle board. It basically gives you splinters if you look at it for too long! Haha. However, I wanted to make a video comparing the worst possible excuse for a "wood" body to what most of us would consider a quality tonewood -- a swamp ash body by MJT.

I have always enjoyed the debates people get into about whether wood matters on a solid body electric guitar. I thought I would attempt to make the most unbiased video within my means to test to question for myself. Every piece of hardware moved from the OSB to the swamp ash in the exact same position, within 1/64 of an inch. Each track was recorded DI into the same input without touching the knobs after they were initially set.

The OSB body was a blast to build, and I recorded the whole process. I will likely put together a video of that build later!

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

"Swamp Ash" is the name of my Zydeco/Evil Dead mashup band.

3. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Very specific. I dig it. Haha.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  4. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

That particle board one sounds slightly brighter, but just as good. Nice job.

hemmings, Auherre756, knasky and 18 others like this.
  5. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

My ears aren't too discerning, but I can't hear much difference between either. I'd of course prefer the swamp ash for looks, but it goes to show it's how little the wood can matter on an electric. Great video, fantastic editing!

6. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well done!

7. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone! This was the result of being stuck in the house too long these past few months! Haha. It was a lot of fun to build, but I don't think the OSB tele will make it into the regular rotation.

8. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I really enjoyed this, and a good approach with using all the same parts on the bodies. I don’t know that I’d discernibly say either is better. I hear subtle differences in attack, tonal qualities, and maybe some clarity. Neither is necessarily better, they just sound different.
    I own one of the MIJ Bullet guitars. It’s a ply body, but resonates and sounds fabulous. Has always been my argument with those that have to have solid wood or one piece bodies. Not saying that’s a bad thing, just that they can both sound good.
    Also, great playing! Thanks.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

That was cool. The difference, as I suspected it would be, is negligible at best. At first I thought the chipboard was a little brighter and sparklier. After listening a couple more times, I don’t think it is. I think the ash is a little more present in the mids and low mids. Kind of chewy in the middle. That makes the highs seem a little less present, and I mean the barest hair. But I think that’s an auditory illusion. I think the highs and lows are about equal.

At any rate, I wouldn’t call either one a *better* sounding guitar than the other. They’re just different. And not by much at all. They’re extremely close.

Nice job, man.

10. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I do have to say that the MJT swamp ash body is definitely a looker! I'm extremely happy with the quality of their work.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Excellent!! And thank you for all clean examples.
    Not any real difference, I love it I love it!!

I'm just curious, was there a little bit of compression in that plug-in program you used?

12. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you! I definitely debated doing a blind A-B style video, but I ultimately went with this format instead. I didn't want to give the impression that I was trying to "fool" anyone into anything, but rather just give people a straightforward comparison and let them decide for themselves!

13. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

BTW, not to derail your thread, but what type of thumb pick is that? I've been trying to learn that style and think I need a new one. The one I have has much too long a picking area, so it keeps digging too far into the strings. I'd like one with a shorter pick. Yours looks to be short from what I can see.

Cody_J likes this.
  14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

The pieces in that particle board look like Alder.

That’s probably why it sounds so good. :lol:

15. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

that puts a smile on my face thank you!

hey i like your playing! very nice

Cody_J likes this.
  16. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious about the difference the the weight of the two guitars. I've always been a tonewood denier but maybe neck and/or body density make an audible difference. I would like to hear a comparison between a guitar made of Balsa and one of Gold, for example. Instead of gold I'd settle for a dense wood or even particle board.

17. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Not at all! The thumbpicks I used are Fred Kelly Bumble Bees. I've been using them for years, and they are definitely worth the money in my opinion.

18. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Great job, I've alway thought that the "tone wood" argument has no merit, now I am convinced.

19. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Sure thing. The OSB body was slightly heavier than the swamp ash, but only by about .4lbs. I should have included that in the description! Also, I'm hardly a woodworker, so the similarity in weight was merely a coincidence. I could not have planned that! Haha.

Esetter1, swervinbob and DugT like this.
  20. LWS66

LWS66 TDPRI Member

I think it’s the strand orientation and adhesive holding it all together! Now everyone will be running to Lowe’s and riffling through the 4x8 sheets looking for the ideal tone wood!!! Not!!!o_O

Indian Joe, Ronzo, Dereksys38 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.